What is the first day of OMFS residency like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

Anybody care to detail their first day/week? I'm intrigued to hear about it!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody care to detail their first day/week? I'm intrigued to hear about it!
Not speaking from experience, but I imagine it feels something like this...

7D709AB9-B2EB-4DAD-9DC0-006E8F9F3D32.gif

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
-

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had an omfs externship at the beginning of July so I got a chance to see their first day up close.
One guy who did a non-categorical year looked very confident and picked things up much faster than the other guys.
There seemed to be many things to learn especially the hospital record system.
You recommend doing a non-categorical year to then do better as a categorical?

Based on friends, I would imagine a healthy dosage of boredom from orientation lectures, lack of sleep from being on call, and insecurity from being grilled by their chief and upper residents.

Based on friends, I would imagine a healthy dosage of boredom from orientation lectures, lack of sleep from being on call, and insecurity from being grilled by their chief and upper residents.

Orientation sounds nice. I’ve heard of some medical surgery residencies where you hit the ground running within an hour. They show you around and throw you to the wolves.

We came to Dallas (UTSW/Parkland) about two weeks before July 1st for random orientation. For this years interns and returning residents, we held a cadaver course going over different approaches to the face and some suture training. They go through regular on-boarding through the hospitals we are covering and EHR training. On July 1st, we have our interns in the clinic and OR. It's a typical 6a-5p type of schedule with rounds in the AM and clinic until 5. When our OR goes past 5pm, whoever is on call will help there until the consults roll in.

Residency hours can be brutal but overall doable for those who are interested and motivated. The first day will differ from program to program but I'd expect some sort of training/orientation prior to July 1st.