what is the key to doing well on the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaryLK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it practicing problems? timed tests?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to add one more thing to that list, especially for the new pcat. You should also know how to apply what you memorized from the pcat study guides that you are using (kaplan, dr. collins, pearson, and etc...). Otherwise, those passage reading questions will always stump you.
Also, read the questions first before attempting to attack the passage. Sometimes you can answer the questions without even looking at the passage.

Honestly helps to do well in your pre-req courses (ochem, gchem, cell&molec bio, genetics, anat./phys,....etc) and to fully retain vital information learned from those classes. Will help a bunch. Convert that short term memory to long term

is it practicing problems? timed tests?
Know your material but yes practice makes perfect. The PCAT is trying to see how many questions you can get correct in the timed parts. I strongly recommend Dr. Collins, I did average in science classes but scored well on the PCAT. Many people on here are selling for much less than what is on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 90 with a month of studying and got into UNC by doing the following. Keep in mind that not everyone studies the same way. I have tried many things from books to practice tests. This is what I found helpful:

1. Buy 1-2 practice tests from Pearson. This was the most reflective of the new exam. I can't emphasize how valuable this was, because it was TOTALLY different from the old Kaplan versions.
2. Don't buy Kaplan books. Buy DrCollins. Kaplan questions were absolutely worthless for the new test. I have a 2015 Collins pdf for $50 if you want.
3. CrashCourse A&P was SUPER DUPER helpful. While it does not replace a whole A&P course, you can learn the basics to refresh yourself. Very entertaining, too.
4. Find ways to quickly do math probs. It was the worst section for me, because I couldn't finish on time. You get a calculator, but it's not much help.
5. Don't go into too much detail. It's not like a final for your science course, but it might put in some trick questions.
6. KNOW YOUR O. CHEM! OMG. I managed to get a 96 (thank lord), but the chem section was so heavy on orgo 1/2. Refresh on that ASAP.

GOOD LUCK! You can do this. We all have faith in you.

Doing well in your pre-req classes and taking the PCAT as soon as possible afterwards so the information is still fresh in your mind. Other than that ~1 month preparation is sufficient as I used Kaplan for biology review and Dr. Collins for everything else. Granted this was back in 2013 and I scored a 92.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i agree wtih Nguyen.
Doing well in pre requisite is really important. if you do well then you really dont need many times to study for pcat.
what you need to do is refreshing the materials and studying something that you think you are not prepared well.

practice exams are good too but I had only two prac exams. I made 85 Bio, 96 on math and Chem in real pcat.
Practice exam is important bc you need to learn how to distribute your times on each questions.
try not to spend many times on one question. guess reasonably and pick one answer and just mark it.
From my experience, leaving mark without picking any answer is not a good idea bc you would not have a time to return to the marked questions. Really.

also try to have a good night before test date. I didnt sleep well and studied right before the test day and it ruined my test really bad.

Also, I think energy drink or any caffein contained drinks will make you feel more nervous when you think your pcat is messed during the test.