What is the lowest MCAT score POSSIBLE...and still get in (true) stories!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well then best of luck on your apps!:luck:

im sure one school will bite. how many are you applying to?

12: 6 in florida then 6 private schools elsewhere. Thanks, I'm hoping one bites.

Members don't see this ad.

:rolleyes:why didnt you get a 33+ the first time?

I never took any biology, chemistry or physics in high school. I showed up to my college (I'm non-traditional), and took the MCAT 15 months after I started my very first science class. I was about a month away from finishing the pre-reqs. I know a lot of kids who wait and take it after Cell Bio, Micro Bio, Genetics, Physiology, Bio-chem, and all sorts of other upper level courses, and they tend to do a lot better. Well I'm completing those right now and if I have to take the test again next year i'll breeze through it with all of that knowledge. I actually think a 33 is not a very good score when you've got all of those upper level science classes completed.

I know it was a bad choice to rush through everything, but I'm getting old and need to get into medical school pronto.

I never took any biology, chemistry or physics in high school. I showed up to my college (I'm non-traditional), and took the MCAT 15 months after I started my very first science class. I was about a month away from finishing the pre-reqs. I know a lot of kids who wait and take it after Cell Bio, Micro Bio, Genetics, Physiology, Bio-chem, and all sorts of other upper level courses, and they tend to do a lot better. Well I'm completing those right now and if I have to take the test again next year i'll breeze through it with all of that knowledge. I actually think a 33 is not a very good score when you've got all of those upper level science classes completed.

I know it was a bad choice to rush through everything, but I'm getting old and need to get into medical school pronto.

And a lot of other kids take all those classes and still don't break a 30.

Members don't see this ad :)
And a lot of other kids take all those classes and still don't break a 30.

Haha, that sucks. I couldn't imagine. If you had all of that you'd basically know everything for the MCAT. I remember taking the test like what the **** is Vmax? Or Km? I had no idea, but now that I've taken Cell Bio I'm learning all kinds of stuff that would have been useful during the test.

Im sure MicroBio, Biochem, Genetics and Physiology (all of which I'm taking soon) will clear up a lot of questions I had during the test. I want my revenge on the MCAT so badly I almost want to take it even after I get in.

Haha, that sucks. I couldn't imagine. If you had all of that you'd basically know everything for the MCAT. I remember taking the test like what the **** is Vmax? Or Km? I had no idea, but now that I've taken Cell Bio I'm learning all kinds of stuff that would have been useful during the test.

Im sure MicroBio, Biochem, Genetics and Physiology (all of which I'm taking soon) will clear up a lot of questions I had during the test. I want my revenge on the MCAT so badly I almost want to take it even after I get in.

I don't know when you took the MCAT or what your administration was like, but it's not just a knowledge based test anymore. It's a reasoning test with a BS section that's more like VR than like BS. Don't assume with your extra knowledge, that guarantees you a 33.

I don't know when you took the MCAT or what your administration was like, but it's not just a knowledge based test anymore. It's a reasoning test with a BS section that's more like VR than like BS. Don't assume with your extra knowledge, that guarantees you a 33.

I took it in April. I wouldn't base it solely on the fact that i'll have more knowledge. I regularly scored between 30 and 32 on the AAMC practice tests so 33 isn't much of a stretch. If it's not looking good around January (for admissions) I will become a psycho about the MCAT and begin my preparations to kill it. A 33 is basically a certainty, but i'm hoping for a lot more. Especially since my entire life will be delayed a year.

I took it in April. I wouldn't base it solely on the fact that i'll have more knowledge. I regularly scored between 30 and 32 on the AAMC practice tests so 33 isn't much of a stretch. If it's not looking good around January (for admissions) I will become a psycho about the MCAT and begin my preparations to kill it. A 33 is basically a certainty, but i'm hoping for a lot more. Especially since my entire life will be delayed a year.
There is no certainty with the MCAT. You need to meet the June 13th thread.

There is no certainty with the MCAT. You need to meet the June 13th thread.

Apparently I do.

Not a chance in hell I don't score that high with all of those courses, it would just be too much easier.

Apparently I do.

Not a chance in hell I don't score that high with all of those courses, it would just be too much easier.

Well, the courses you're taking will certainly help with bio (no question)...but getting 2-3? points higher on bio will still leave you at a 31-32. And with that type of courseload, potentially very little time to study for the other two sections.

Just my two cents.

For me, the biggest hurdle was escaping the 29-32 region. It's not as easy as it sounds. "Expecting" to do it without first having put in the work may be a bit of a stretch.

That's all - don't flame me.

And please consider the contribution of the poster above me.

It sounds like you are doing the right things, but you have the wrong attitude. The MCAT will never be easy. And, it is impossible to study effectively if you are this arrogant before the test. Maybe some practice tests will shape you up, but I just want to warn you before you start down the path to the MCAT with that kind of attitude.

Be proud of your MCAT once you get the score back, not before.

Well, the courses you're taking will certainly help with bio (no question)...but getting 2-3? points higher on bio will still leave you at a 31-32. And with that type of courseload, potentially very little time to study for the other two sections.

Just my two cents.

For me, the biggest hurdle was escaping the 29-32 region. It's not as easy as it sounds. "Expecting" to do it without first having put in the work may be a bit of a stretch.

That's all - don't flame me.

And please consider the contribution of the poster above me.

My physical sciences should go up quite a bit too. Im taking two 4000 level physics courses (already finished one). And the 10 i scored on my PS was lower than almost all of practice exams. And my schedule, with only 2 to 3 science classes a semester (easy ones too, except Bio-chem), and no more research, should leave tons of time for studying.

Hopefully all of this never comes into play and I just get in this year, but thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you are doing the right things, but you have the wrong attitude. The MCAT will never be easy. And, it is impossible to study effectively if you are this arrogant before the test. Maybe some practice tests will shape you up, but I just want to warn you before you start down the path to the MCAT with that kind of attitude.

Be proud of your MCAT once you get the score back, not before.

I know it sounds like a poor attitude to have, but I have it about every thing school related so I've already adapted accordingly. I say things like "no way I'm gonna score less than 33" because I know I will become a study Nazi and do everything I need to do in order to achieve that. I dont just sit around and assume I'm gonna cruise to a 33+.

I really do appreciate the input though. :thumbup:

all you need for the MCAT is basic bio, gen chem, physics, and a little orgo...those upper level classes arent gonna help you, not much anyways.

25 MCAT , 3.7 GPA . White guy from North Dakota. It can be done and HAS been done with scores less than 30, you just have to have something else to distinguish yourself from the pack. MCAT is only one part of your application. I think it's ridiculous that people on those boards claim that anything <30 and you're automatically destined for a DO or Caribbean school.

According the MSAR, at an MCAT score of 29, more ppl get accepted than rejected. Also there were less than 50 ppl with scores of 17 or below....So I guess its possible to get in with a really really low score, but I really dont know how.

BS/MD maybe?

The MCAT is an admissions test, not a predictor of how you'll do in medical school. I think some people need to be reminded of that.

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT is an admissions test, not a predictor of how you'll do in medical school. I think some people need to be reminded of that.

I mean, its sort of a predictor right? med school has several important standardized tests, and showing that you can do really well on a test like the mcat might indicate that you are prepared to succeed on those future tests. but aside from that, someone who is getting sub-20 on the mcat, wouldn't you have real reservations about their ability to succeed in med school, the standardized test issue aside?

Apparently I do.

Oooooooook.........................

Like CC said, those classes aren't going to help you like you think they are. You said you already took it, right? Then you should know that the entire test is basically a reading comprehension test. BS and PS are VR based on biology, chemistry, and physics.

all you need for the MCAT is basic bio, gen chem, physics, and a little orgo...those upper level classes arent gonna help you, not much anyways.

Not true. At least not for me.

those classes aren't going to help you like you think they are. You said you already took it, right? Then you should know that the entire test is basically a reading comprehension test. BS and PS are VR based on biology, chemistry, and physics.

Genetics, Physio, and Molecular Bio brought me from an 8 to a 13 in the Bio section. Biochem helped too. Maybe you guys had more intensive gen bio classes, but these upper levels made all the difference for me. When I was trying to decide how to study for my retake, I remember how people would say "OMG you don't need those classes." Well, I'm glad I didn't listen.

25 MCAT , 3.7 GPA . White guy from North Dakota. It can be done and HAS been done with scores less than 30, you just have to have something else to distinguish yourself from the pack. MCAT is only one part of your application. I think it's ridiculous that people on those boards claim that anything <30 and you're automatically destined for a DO or Caribbean school.

The median MCAT at UND is a 27 and they interview more than 75% of the residents (no one else is considered). So, yours isn't a typical case.

Last edited:

Genetics, Physio, and Molecular Bio brought me from an 8 to a 13 in the Bio section. Biochem helped too. Maybe you guys had more intensive gen bio classes, but these upper levels made all the difference for me. When I was trying to decide how to study for my retake, I remember how people would say "OMG you don't need those classes." Well, I'm glad I didn't listen.

i agree..i took mine on june 13th, and there was ALOT of genetics on my exam; i know that the gen bio course i took did NOT cover most of the genetics on that exam. the genetics course i took helped me much more in figuring out those questions.

also, i took biochem and physiology, and those classes helped me answer a few questions without even thinking about the passage...so i think taking those classes may not be required, but it sure does help ALOT.

There were very few things on my real tests and my practice tests that required knowledge that I didnt receive in my prereqs, but if you are gonna take one class to help with the MCAT, take Genetics. You get the review of the basic mendelian genetics and the pedigrees, but you also get a review of molecular biology as well.

My cousin got into Johns Hopkins with an 11 on the MCAT and a 2.3 GPA!!!!! :eek:

i know someone at IU that got in with a 22/minority.

That's what im thinking too. Most of the stuff from the Bio section of my test I had never heard of, even the stand alone questions. The Bio 1 at my school is about the cell cycle (not in much detail), and Bio 2 was absolutely worthless because it was about crap like phylogeny and animal kingdoms. I didnt learn anything about viruses or bacteria and how they work (which was most of my bio section material). And physiology would have been GREAT, I didnt know shlt compared to what i should have.

I understand what a lot of people are saying, but I think all of these upper level courses will really help.

I dont know where or if they exist, but if there are stats on average MCAT with varying amounts of course work completed i'd like to see them. The people with more classes have to have higher average scores. It just makes everything so much easier.

That's what im thinking too. Most of the stuff from the Bio section of my test I had never heard of, even the stand alone questions. The Bio 1 at my school is about the cell cycle (not in much detail), and Bio 2 was absolutely worthless because it was about crap like phylogeny and animal kingdoms. I didnt learn anything about viruses or bacteria and how they work (which was most of my bio section material). And physiology would have been GREAT, I didnt know shlt compared to what i should have.

I understand what a lot of people are saying, but I think all of these upper level courses will really help.

I dont know where or if they exist, but if there are stats on average MCAT with varying amounts of course work completed i'd like to see them. The people with more classes have to have higher average scores. It just makes everything so much easier.
Actually I think humanities majors score higher on average than Bio majors.

Um...no. What is made easier exactly?

Not to be a jerk or anything, but you are making a number of assumptions and justifiying it as "it has to be..". what you are saying just isnt the case.

From everything I have read/ all the feedback from testers I have read, I am very comfortable with the conclusion that the MCAT has moved away from being a knowledge based test to more of a reasoning test.

Will more upper level courses in bio/ physics/ rhetoric help you?...Maybe. How do I think they will help you? I think one would be more comfortable being slightly familiar with the material the passage is introducing. Period. No one is saying that more experience in a given subject isnt beneficial to this test..it is. However, the take home message is that your time would be better served with specific review materials hammering out problems/content that WILL be covered by the test. Knowing this high yield (BASIC) material backwards and forwards is much more efficient in terms of studying than taking entire upper level classes dedicated to a subject that you might see one question on. I would say human phys and maybe genetics would be very helpful in terms of digesting your study matertials bc you have had that previous experience. But as far as micro, cell bio, immuno, neuro, etc................Those are overkill imo.

To succeed on this test all you have to do is: know the basics/ enhance your critical thinking skills/ understand how the test is written. I'm no qhiz at the mcat and I didnt score a 45, but I came a LONG way using this basic guideline once I actually understood the test and stopped assuming that things "had to be" a certain way bc I thought so.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but you are making a number of assumptions and justifiying it as "it has to be..". what you are saying just isnt the case.

From everything I have read/ all the feedback from testers I have read, I am very comfortable with the conclusion that the MCAT has moved away from being a knowledge based test to more of a reasoning test.

Will more upper level courses in bio/ physics/ rhetoric help you?...Maybe. How do I think they will help you? I think one would be more comfortable being slightly familiar with the material the passage is introducing. Period. No one is saying that more experience in a given subject isnt beneficial to this test..it is. However, the take home message is that your time would be better served with specific review materials hammering out problems/content that WILL be covered by the test. Knowing this high yield (BASIC) material backwards and forwards is much more efficient in terms of studying than taking entire upper level classes dedicated to a subject that you might see one question on. I would say human phys and maybe genetics would be very helpful in terms of digesting your study matertials bc you have had that previous experience. But as far as micro, cell bio, immuno, neuro, etc................Those are overkill imo.

To succeed on this test all you have to do is: know the basics/ enhance your critical thinking skills/ understand how the test is written. I'm no qhiz at the mcat and I didnt score a 45, but I came a LONG way using this basic guideline once I actually understood the test and stopped assuming that things "had to be" a certain way bc I thought so.

i agree those are in fact overkill. however, genetics and physiology WILL help you a great deal, like the above poster said. it will not only help you "digest" the materials, but it will help you flat out be more familiar with the passages when you encounter them.

drosophila.

anyone that took the 2pm june 13th mcat knows exactly what im talking about.

Actually I think humanities majors score higher on average than Bio majors.

I've heard that too. But I believe people with the upper level classes completed score higher than people with only the pre-requisites, it only makes sense.

I said why they'll help. I'll have the knowledge I was lacking the last time I took it. Besides individual questions that are simply knowledge based, i'll have a much, and I mean MUCH, easier time reading through and understanding the biology passages that sounded so alien to me the last time I took it.

The upper level classes are not my only plan for improving my score. I also plan to hit all of my study materials hard and do a LOT of practice tests/problems.

Hopefully I don't even have to do this. I scored a 29 the first time I took it so I'm hoping I can get in with that. But if I do have to re-take it next april, my score will improve drastically, to at least a 33. This isn't being cocky, it's simply being logical.

And oh yeah, all of the extra science classes. I have to take those in order to graduate so it wont really be any extra work.

LMAO...

I don't know where some of you get your information from...

You do NOT have to have a 30 to get into med school...

PLENTY of school will matriculate 25's, 24's, 26's, etc...

Yes, I do know this to be a fact, and yes I was told this by people in the admissions department at MCG...

By the way, the average at MCG is a 30.3, yet they still admit plenty of people in the mid to high 20's...

Think about how it's averaged people: for every 35, there has to be a 25 to make an average of 30...

Jeez...

I'm not sure where you took stats, but there doesn't have to be a 25 for every 35 that gets in. More like for every 35, there are several 29's. The odd kid who gets in with a 25 has a father who donates lots and lots of money.

Understanding how the test works (ie, taking lots of practice tests) and hammering your reasoning skills is hugely important. But, I have to reiterate, I made a dramatic improvement in my MCAT and brought my weakest section (Biology) from an 8 to a 13. There is nothing like the feeling of reading a passage about something you studied in class, or reading a question and jumping to the answer because of previous class work. This improvement was done almost entirely by taking Genetics, Biochm, Molec Bio, and Physio. Studying Examkrakers (which I did too) would have been no substitute. Improving my verbal and physics score (and Bio to an extent) can also be attributed to better understanding of how the test works and improving my reasoing skills.

Quotes I liked from the June 13th thread:

I'm just bent that 70% of the bio was on stuff that I never saw before between a first year bio course and EK bio.

BS-I liked it...I just took a genetics class and a biochem class and there was some stuff I just learned on there...I think i did well...we'll see though ive been let down on practice tests hopefully at lesat a 10...we'll see...

I hve over 3.7 GPA but got a low verbal score but scored 11 and 12 in others. what are my chances of getting interview and admission?

I hve over 3.7 GPA but got a low verbal score but scored 11 and 12 in others. what are my chances of getting interview and admission?

What was the actual score and breakdown? Is English your 2nd language?

I scored a 29 the first time I took it so I'm hoping I can get in with that. But if I do have to re-take it next april, my score will improve drastically, to at least a 33. This isn't being cocky, it's simply being logical.

This quote made me laugh. Of course it's "simply being logical" to assume that your MCAT score will go up 4 points. I mean, everyone's does, right? Surely there aren't people who don't get in after taking the test a second time...that's just absurd!

I think anyone who just assumes that their score is going to magically jump four points, mostly in one section, is pretty misinfomed. Absolutely, it can be done...but if I were you, I'd plan on working very hard to do it. And even then, I wouldn't be too cocky. Many people take the test 3+ times, even after all the upper level science courses you can imagine, and never break a 28.

While I agree with others that our friend's statements sound a little arrogant and naive, I actually do think he's on to something, to a certain extent. All you need to do well on the MCAT is to take the pre-reqs and study review books. But, upper level bio courses, and I would imagine chemistry courses as well, can help. For one thing, you're just more comfortable reading the material. The MCAT passages are written in the same language that all of those upper level textbooks are written. Additionally, if you know all of the details, then the basics are like second-nature to you. So yes, I agree that genetics, biochem, molecular bio, physiology, immunology, and other upper level bio classes can be very beneficial. I'm pretty sure my bio score was about 2 points higher than it would have been without some of these classes. That being said, if I hadn't studied, I'd have scored a 25.

While I agree with others that our friend's statements sound a little arrogant and naive, I actually do think he's on to something, to a certain extent. All you need to do well on the MCAT is to take the pre-reqs and study review books. But, upper level bio courses, and I would imagine chemistry courses as well, can help. For one thing, you're just more comfortable reading the material. The MCAT passages are written in the same language that all of those upper level textbooks are written. Additionally, if you know all of the details, then the basics are like second-nature to you. So yes, I agree that genetics, biochem, molecular bio, physiology, immunology, and other upper level bio classes can be very beneficial. I'm pretty sure my bio score was about 2 points higher than it would have been without some of these classes. That being said, if I hadn't studied, I'd have scored a 25.
This totally echoes my experiences.

Though I will admit I barely studied for the BS (probably less than 10% of my total time studying), it was my highest score by far. How? Second year enetics, physiology and molecular biology (hardly advanced material). I was a Friday the Thirteenth-er (I did quite well as did almost everyone else I remember from that thread, so I'm a bit confused as to why someone linked it earlier). Anyway, there was more than one passage that I could've sworn was directly lifted from my textbooks from last semester. While other test-takers were probably struggling to interpet them based on the limited information they attempted to memorize from say, a Kaplan course, all I had to do is recall some lectures I had on the topic a few months earlier.

I really do believe those courses could help improve a score.

I just heard of someone getting into Yale med with a 27. Guess she must have had some incredible EC's and GPA....

mmm, once I'm in med school, I'm gonna say that I got a 21 on the MCAT. And they will call me the Blackjack. Yes.
On the other hand, they might crucify me if my real score actually came out...eek!

mmm, once I'm in med school, I'm gonna say that I got a 21 on the MCAT. And they will call me the Blackjack. Yes.
On the other hand, they might crucify me if my real score actually came out...eek!
I would totally do that. Just to see if someone would run onto SDN and make a post about it. Pretty good chance of that happening since I'm visibly URM too, lol.

If I actually do make it in somewhere this year, I can legitimately post on this thread!!! :laugh: