What is the lowest MCAT score POSSIBLE...and still get in (true) stories!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Friend's older brother got into an MD school with a 19. He applied early decision.

Friend's older brother got into an MD school with a 19. He applied early decision.
I thought early decision was only helpful to strong candidates. I'd assume then he could also get in with 30 MCAT and 3.0 or below GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
We need that chart! Where is it?! Who knows what I'm talking about?

Yeah I thought for EDP you had to have minimum criteria that is usually above the schools median/mean.
I think that's only true if you're applying to a more geographically diverse school. If you were to apply to somewhere pretty competitive, you'd have to be extremely qualified for it to be a "wise" decision (and even then, depending on the school, it's doubtful).

But in other cases, early decision works to make up for a slightly weaker application. One of my state schools works this way, I think the main people who apply early are those below the school's averages. I mean, it makes sense (just like it does from the college perspective), you guarantee you're filling spots now to slightly "diminish" your student body later. If you're a state school looking to fill seats with predominantly residents, if you only let residents apply early, it works towards your goal.

To answer the thread, an adcom told me about a student admitted with a 19. I think he ended up failing a lot of stuff his first year, though.

I think that's only true if you're applying to a more geographically diverse school. If you were to apply to somewhere pretty competitive, you'd have to be extremely qualified for it to be a "wise" decision (and even then, depending on the school, it's doubtful).

But in other cases, early decision works to make up for a slightly weaker application. One of my state schools works this way, I think the main people who apply early are those below the school's averages. I mean, it makes sense (just like it does from the college perspective), you guarantee you're filling spots now to slightly "diminish" your student body later. If you're a state school looking to fill seats with predominantly residents, if you only let residents apply early, it works towards your goal.

To answer the thread, an adcom told me about a student admitted with a 19. I think he ended up failing a lot of stuff his first year, though.

Yeah but the thing that truly sucks is that you can only apply to that one school until you hear from them.