What is the most common cause of mental ******ation in children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or Down Syndrome?

Can anyone clarify this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just ask yourself this... is it more common that women will drink during pregnancy or they'll have a genetic defect?

You'd think so, but the incidence of FAS, depending on where you read, parallels that of Down's. I was wondering about that myself -- OP, are we talking exogenous causes (mommy foolishly hoists one for the fetus), genetic ones, or both?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I'm impressed that none of the trolls answered "Chuck Norris" yet.

You'd think so, but the incidence of FAS, depending on where you read, parallels that of Down's. I was wondering about that myself -- OP, are we talking exogenous causes (mommy foolishly hoists one for the fetus), genetic ones, or both?
hmm. true, true.

FAS would be the most common acquired, I guess?

UW says FAS is the MCC of mental ******ation in children,,,, so I'll just stick with that.

I was just wondering if that was the OVERALL most common cause.

Last edited:
You also got fragile X which is the most common inherited mental ******ation

Just ask yourself this... is it more common that women will drink during pregnancy or they'll have a genetic defect?

Yes, Good question!! :thumbup:

Addendum.. 1)The educated and under educated women could think ..." OK alcohol is socially accepted and be in denial about it harming here baby.....
2) Also FAS is a misnomer because alcohol does most of its damage in the 1st trimester in the embryonic phase..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Worldwide I was under the impression that it's iodine deficiency.

But, I do believe Down's is the most common in the US. FAS actually only rarely leads to mental ******ation. Most of the infants afflicted are not so severely stunted to be diagnosed as MR.

Most common genetic causes are Fragile X and Down's (BRS Behavioral)

Worldwide I was under the impression that it's iodine deficiency.

But, I do believe Down's is the most common in the US. FAS actually only rarely leads to mental ******ation. Most of the infants afflicted are not so severely stunted to be diagnosed as MR.
You gotta back that up with a reference. Not saying you aren't correct, you very well might be. But it seems reasonable, to me at least, that the majority of FAS-afflicted people are not mr, but that it is still the most common overall cause (which is clearly the dogma according to a great many people).

the most common cause is actually not a cause at all.

idiopathic.

That might be the most common etiology, but there might be a million different causes under that heading.

i thought the most common overall was idiopathic followed closely by tri21

For what it's worth: I was just looking in FA 2008 for something unrelated, and I happened to see a little bit mentioning that Down's is the most common cause of ******ation.

Flat-out, most common cause. According to that text, anyhow.

For what it's worth: I was just looking in FA 2008 for something unrelated, and I happened to see a little bit mentioning that Down's is the most common cause of ******ation.

Flat-out, most common cause. According to that text, anyhow.

We just learned this last week. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is the answer.

Well, so much for FA's answer.

Just thumbed through my 2009 FA, they say FAS. If you haven't take the step yet, I would recommend getting the latest edition of FA (I seriously seen people in my class with the 2004 edition. Like wtf? It's not like the book cost a few thousand dollars or anything!) and get the updated errata from their website.

Just thumbed through my 2009 FA, they say FAS. If you haven't take the step yet, I would recommend getting the latest edition of FA (I seriously seen people in my class with the 2004 edition. Like wtf? It's not like the book cost a few thousand dollars or anything!) and get the updated errata from their website.

Oh, I have FA 2009. I just happened to be in front of an '08 copy at that very moment. Step's next year for me, so we'll be on the '11 copy by then. I'm such a young'un.

Fetal alcohol syndrome is the most common. Contributing statistics supporting this stem from births of lower class/poor social status, where the mother is pregnant and does not go to the doctor initially to be educated on abstaining from drinking.

trisomy 21 (downs syndrome) has been increasing due to the number of women who are more career oriented and have been putting off having children. This defect typically occurs in mothers that give birth over the age of 40.

Fetal alcohol syndrome is the most common. Contributing statistics supporting this stem from births of lower class/poor social status, where the mother is pregnant and does not go to the doctor initially to be educated on abstaining from drinking.

trisomy 21 (downs syndrome) has been increasing due to the number of women who are more career oriented and have been putting off having children. This defect typically occurs in mothers that give birth over the age of 40.
I thought they were most susceptible to the toxic effects of alcohol bw 3-8 weeks and usually that early the mother may not even know shes pregnant...or is this wrong?

It's the embryonic phase that is susceptible to ethanol's toxic effect. So most people wouldn't know they are pregnant. Same with folate deficiency and to that of many medications that are teratogenic.

It's the embryonic phase that is susceptible to ethanol's toxic effect. So most people wouldn't know they are pregnant. Same with folate deficiency and to that of many medications that are teratogenic.

Yes and alcohol is selective in that it destroys the B-vitamins, resulting in some neural defects because these vitamins contribute to the integrity of neural cells and myelin development.

I thought they were most susceptible to the toxic effects of alcohol bw 3-8 weeks and usually that early the mother may not even know shes pregnant...or is this wrong?

You are right.. Also as I mentioned FAS is really a misnomer the most toxic affects are in the first trimester with is really the "embryonic phase"..

Its interesting how Palin had a "Downs child", knew of this chance and still had a 5th child..

I thought it was stupid parents. Seriously, if there was a god, a lot of people would not be allowed to reproduce...

Its interesting how Palin had a "Downs child", knew of this chance and still had a 5th child..

Hmm, let's not.

I thought it was stupid parents. Seriously, if there was a god, a lot of people would not be allowed to reproduce...

:laugh: I wish I could remember where I saw that bit about "EM? Why would you like EM? All you do is stand in the way of natural selection."

Agree. I cannot imagine raising a kid with mental ******ation having known before hand when there was still something that could be done. Hope she doesn't want much sympathy.

Most common inherited - Fragile X

While this is certainly the correct answer on a test, in real life I would note this: Klinefelter's has an incidence of between 1 in 500 to 1 in 1000 male births. Of these, at least 70% have developmental problems. Fragile X incidence is approximately 1 in 3000. Klinefelter's patients tend to have mild issues however, so it really may be a threshold issue.

Ed

Agree. I cannot imagine raising a kid with mental ******ation having known before hand when there was still something that could be done. Hope she doesn't want much sympathy.

What can be done beforehand?

Since other people seem to be interested in discussing this, it's worth pointing out that you're either misinformed or not expressing yourself clearly. Trig Palin, who has Down syndrome, is Sarah Palin's 5th and youngest child.

Well I suppose since there's no treatment the only option would be to terminate the pregnancy. Choosing to keep the baby is fine, as long as the parents won't bitch about it or try to get much sympathy or help.

Well I suppose since there's no treatment the only option would be to terminate the pregnancy. Choosing to keep the baby is fine, as long as the parents won't bitch about it or try to get much sympathy or help.

You, sir, are an ass.

You, sir, are an ass.
Ok, I think this is the reason why a poster above said it wouldn't be a good idea to get into a political discussion. Some posters will not remain civil. Let's end the political discussion before mods have to get involved.

Yes I hear you... I also agree with Silas!! (why would someone cause MORE problems for themself...)

In all seriousness, and I may get bashed for this:

1)Emotions always take over!!

2)Especially as a leader and already having KIDS.. If my wife is way over 35 or 40.. I would not take the chance of having an afflicted child..

3)Perhaps this is too logical.

4)As I got older I found out that common sense is NOT that common! :xf: