• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

What is the percentage of students accepted who are interviewed?

About the Ads
That's...that's not really how statistics work, especially if both schools preferentially accept the higher-stats portion of interviewees.

Statistics (GPA, DAT, and the like) mean significantly less once the student has been interviewed. Of course, outside of Brownian motion, seemingly nothing within reality is entirely random, thus the one acceptance per two interviews won't be exact, but often fairly accurate. As far as "how statistics work" is concerned; a 50% chance of event A occurring eventually educes event A once in every two events, and a 40% chance of event B occurring eventually educes event B twice in every five events. So yes, that is "how statistics work."

Last edited:
About the Ads

Ionz

Jun 1, 2013
    Statistics (GPA, DAT, and the like) mean significantly less once the student has been interviewed. Of course, outside of Brownian motion, seemingly nothing within reality is entirely random, thus the one acceptance per two interviews won't be exact, but often fairly accurate. As far as "how statistics work" is concerned; a 50% chance of event A occurring eventually educes event A once in every two events, and a 40% chance of event B occurring eventually educes event B twice in every five events. So yes, that is "how statistics work."

Lol.

The chances of getting accepted at any one school is independent of the chances of getting accepted at any other school. Simple grade 7 coin-toss statistics...

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
    7+ Year Member
    Jul 9, 2012
    The Black
    1. Medical Student

Lol.

The chances of getting accepted at any one school is independent of the chances of getting accepted at any other school. Simple grade 7 coin-toss statistics...

ASSUMING it were actually completely random (though as I pointed out before, higher-stats applicants are going to preferentially fill the accepted 50%, so it's not really random at all), that's STILL not how statistics works.

As lonz said, these are independent events, so...coin-toss statistics. There is a 25% chance (½·½) of not getting in both times, so therefore you would have a 75% chance of getting at least 1 acceptance.

75% ≠ a guarantee, and we have to keep in mind that that 75% may well be an overestimate depending on the application package and interview skillz. Then again, you said 'probably', so I guess you'd need to define what probability you think suffices for 'probably' (lol)...50%? 80%? 95%?

Lol.

What's your point? The more interviews you get, the more likely you are of getting accepted. That's why the average student applies to ten to fifteen dental schools per cycle, knowing full well he or she will only go to one.

ASSUMING it were actually completely random (though as I pointed out before, higher-stats applicants are going to preferentially fill the accepted 50%, so it's not really random at all),

Which I mentioned both in my initial post and my reply to your previous one, and apparently you read neither of them.

75% ≠ a guarantee

Completely irrelevant and anyone would be a fool to make such a claim. A 75% chance of getting in means you will probably get in, because there is three times as much a chance of getting in as there is of getting rejected. Before you begin pettifogging about randomness, remember I acknowledged the process is far from absolutely random.

suarez 7

7+ Year Member
      Jan 31, 2012
      1. Dentist
        I believe UoP is one of the few schools where, if you get an interview, you are pretty much guaranteed an acceptance unless you really botch up the interview.

But the exact % is not universal for all schools, some schools like to interview a bunch (i.e. MWU and Nova) and accept only a few of them, while some schools like to maintain a 50-60% interview-acceptance rate.

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
        7+ Year Member
        Jul 9, 2012
        The Black
        1. Medical Student
          What's your point? The more interviews you get, the more likely you are of getting accepted. That's why the average student applies to ten to fifteen dental schools per cycle, knowing full well he or she will only go to one.
          Nobody disagreed with the bolded sentence. Just with the "2 interviews and you're golden"(paraphrasing)

Which I mentioned both in my initial post and my reply to your previous one, and apparently you read neither of them.
          Read them, but it's an important enough disclaimer to be included each time we start discussing the stats.

Completely irrelevant and anyone would be a fool to make such a claim. A 75% chance of getting in means you will probably get in, because there is three times as much a chance of getting in as there is of getting rejected. Before you begin pettifogging about randomness, remember I acknowledged the process is far from absolutely random.
          Somewhat ironic that you berate me for not reading your posts, yet you then go on about a point that I specifically addressed in the few sentences that you conveniently left out of your quote. I...I don't even have a response to this paragraph because I ALREADY WROTE a response to EXACTLY this point and included it in the post that you are ostensibly responding to.

Btw, nice word - pettifogging - I haven't heard that one before, and that is a sentence I do not get to say enough these days!

Ionz

Jun 1, 2013

I believe the average is around 40% to 50%. So, get two interviews and statistically you'll probably get an acceptance.

You're that one guy in class who argues with profs and tries to talk in circles to avoid you're wrong aren't you :laugh::laugh:

Read what I said again and see if I ever made that claim. I was just disputing how in your previous post in bold you basically used additive statistics when application process is clearly not lol

About the Ads
            You're that one guy in class who argues with profs and tries to talk in circles to avoid you're wrong aren't you :laugh::laugh:

You are a fine example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect

Read what I said again and see if I ever made that claim. I was just disputing how in your previous post in bold you basically used additive statistics when application process is clearly not lol

The statement you quoted was correct and the reason you provided for disputing it was irrelevant at best. Of course the probability of getting accepted to any given school won't change, but the overall probability of getting at least one acceptance will increase, and that is what is relevant. Perhaps you need to take another course in seventh-grade mathematics.

I specifically addressed in the few sentences that you conveniently left out of your quote. I...I don't even have a response to this paragraph because I ALREADY WROTE a response to EXACTLY this point and included it in the post that you are ostensibly responding to.

I left it out of there because it was irrelevant; your whole argument amounted to a lack of a rigorous definition of the word "probably." Statistically, the definition of the term probably is the following: If the probability of event A happening is P > 50%, than statisticians say that event A will probably happen. That is to say, when there is a greater probability that A will happen than there is that A won't happen, statisticians say that A will probably happen.

If there is a 75% chance of something happening, it is probably going to happen; case closed.

Nobody disagreed with the bolded sentence. Just with the "2 interviews and you're golden"(paraphrasing)

I didn't say that anyone was golden with two interviews, I said that statistically it is more likely (probably) that they will at least get accepted into one school as opposed to receiving two rejections. If you flip a coin twice, it is more likely that you will get at least one tail rather than two heads. I'm aware that a coin toss is much more random than a dental school application, but it was for that reason I applied the adjective "statistically" and noted the weakness of such a model (inclination for students with better interview skills and statistics to get accepted).

Last edited:

misterrr

Feb 25, 2013
            1. Pre-Dental
              You are a fine example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect

The statement you quoted was correct and the reason you provided for disputing it was irrelevant at best. Of course the probability of getting accepted to any given school won't change, but the overall probability of getting at least one acceptance will increase, and that is what is relevant. Perhaps you need to take another course in seventh-grade mathematics.

I left it out of there because it was irrelevant; your whole argument amounted to a lack of a rigorous definition of the word "probably." Statistically, the definition of the term probably is the following: If the probability of event A happening is P > 50%, than statisticians say that event A will probably happen. That is to say, when there is a greater probability that A will happen than there is that A won't happen, statisticians say that A will probably happen.

If there is a 75% chance of something happening, it is probably going to happen; case closed.

I didn't say that anyone was golden with two interviews, I said that statistically it is more likely (probably) that they will at least get accepted into one school as opposed to receiving two rejections. If you flip a coin twice, it is more likely that you will get at least one tail rather than two heads. I'm aware that a coin toss is much more random than a dental school application, but it was for that reason I applied the adjective "statistically" and noted the weakness of such a model (inclination for students with better interview skills and statistics to get accepted).

I would hate to be in a dental school with this guy. Terrible attitude. Looking through your post history, you sound like the typical underwhelming student who rants anonymously on forums to try to prove himself. Plus, your lame attempts at sophisticated vocabulary is laughable at best. Tsk tsk

tbond5

Enrolled
              Jul 8, 2013
              Seattle, WA
              1. Pre-Dental
                I would hate to be in a dental school with this guy. Terrible attitude. Looking through your post history, you sound like the typical underwhelming student who rants anonymously on forums to try to prove himself. Plus, your lame attempts at sophisticated vocabulary is laughable at best. Tsk tsk

Look up the topic called "why so many" with frank22 as the OP, if you really want to know what he's like.

Show me one successful person who concerns himself or herself with the character or affairs of another. Focus on yourselves and your problems, not on me; you only make yourself look petty and disgusting when you say things like "look up and read what person X wrote," etc.

Martin Luther King jr.

What an insult; M.L.K Jr. devoted himself unsparingly for civil rights via peace, following the examples of a Mahatma Gandhi and Jesus of Nazareth; he didn't try to hurt the public image of others or go to petty and immature means to achieve his ends as you did.

Last edited:
                About the Ads
                This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.