What is the Role of APA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish the APA did not get involved in as many political issues as they do. I'd prefer it to focus predominantly on accreditation and professional advocacy only.
To some extent, I think they have to. If they don't, organizations like the National Family Research Council try to pass themselves off as science organizations, and they are more than happy to do political advocacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To some extent, I think they have to. If they don't, organizations like the National Family Research Council try to pass themselves off as science organizations, and they are more than happy to do political advocacy.
Agreed. As long as it's science-based and in the public interest, I'm for it.

Presenting scientific positions is one thing. Lobbying on specific political issues is much more complicated. Some of their political positions make scientific sense and others may be more controversial.

To generalize, if you take a look at most of their policy positions/actions, they are usually calling for MORE funding of this and MORE funding of that. Most of their political statements are absolutely leftist. It's just a mirror of academia.

In that sense, they alienate individuals who want smaller government and alternative strategies. I'm sure we can all agree that poverty is bad and that we want there to be access to things like healthcare, paid family leave, mental health services for Syrian refugees, etc...but not everyone would agree that the government/taxpayers should pay for it (for a variety of reasons such as out of principle, lack of efficacy/effectiveness of programs, prioritizing funding for certain areas over other areas, complicated strategies with unintended consequences like the ACA, etc).

I'm not taking any of these positions or trying to start a political debate. I am just saying that the APA tries to get involved in just about every political issue, when in my view they should stay focused on the things that are directly relevant to the profession where there is clear evidence for advocacy in a particular direction.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
... the APA tries to get involved in just about every political issue, when in my view they should stay focused on the things that are directly relevant to the profession where there is clear evidence for advocacy in a particular direction.
This largely describes my biggest gripe with APA (in addition to the insular nature of committees and board members).

I am just saying that the APA tries to get involved in just about every political issue, when in my view they should stay focused on the things that are directly relevant to the profession where there is clear evidence for advocacy in a particular direction.
Completely agree with this and have made similar points previously although probably not as clearly as you just stated.
:=|:-):