What is the scope of Diagnostic Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteenkerBottom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my interests is in radiology (both DR and IR), but I haven't had the opportunity yet to really understand the scope of each specialty. I know that in a basic sense DR is more focused on reading imaging and IR is more focused on performing procedures. That being said, the way the docs at my school talk, it sounds like diagnostic radiologists are sometimes responsible for certain minor procedures (feeding tubes, spinal taps, etc.).

Can anyone speak as to what diagnostic radiologists do outside of sitting in a dark room? Also when/how often diagnostic radiologists do procedures.

For reference I'm a second year student with close to no clinical experience.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the practice setting. You can be in and out of the reading room doing procedures all day, even if you’re not IR. You could end up only doing procedures related to your subspecialty like breast bx for mammo or arthrograms for MSK. Or you can be remote and never even go into a hospital after residency if you really want.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would do your best to try and shadow radiologists at your program early and often just to see what they do and ask questions. If you can find some radiologists in the community to connect with that would be great too. This way you can get a sense of different practice settings. Even though you're in your second year, it's never too early! Don't expect to get a full picture of the career just from your clinical rotations. It has always baffled me that med students decide what they're going to do for the rest of their lives often based on a single several week experience in one hospital, with one team, and in one practice setting.

I'm not in IR or DR, but from what I've seen yes, even in DR there are some studies that require you to be out of the reading room (ex. barium swallow). Most seem to end up specializing so you can probably gravitate to more or less interaction at your preference. Spending all day in the reading room isn't a cake walk either though. Needing to stay attentive for hours looking for small details with a never-ending queue of studies to read seems challenging. I do always find myself jealous of those standing desks, comfy chairs, and the serene calm (ie. lack alarms and people shouting) of the reading room though haha.

Completely depends on the practice. Some general radiologists, do lung, breast, liver biopsies, arthrograms, etc. Other practices are more subspecialized, where procedures are only done in relation to your subspecialty. Some practices are boiler room situations where you never leave your desk or monitors. Dr is moving into a subspecialty direction. This increases your number of calls as one general radiologist can't cover trauma, neuro, ob, , chest, etc, while on call. Depending on the center, IR call is usually pretty rigorous. Something to consider. Good luck and best wishes!

Practice dependent. But if you go into DR the chances are much higher you will be expected to pump out studies all day and the IR guys will do all procedures.

Reactions: 1 user