What is the starting salary for a podiatrist right out of residency (1- 3years)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@air bud @GypsyHummus 80k is not poverty level in NYC, 32k is. For a single person living in NYC 80k is good. I live here
He said it is. You have to listen to him. He is practicing now; have you even been at podiatry school?

It's not about facts or if you live there and know, it's about if you graduated or not.

Members don't see this ad.

He said it is. You have to listen to him. He is practicing now; have you even been at podiatry school?

It's not about facts or if you live there and know, it's about if you graduated or not.

Cool story

All I am offering is my opinion. From a perspective you don't have. Yet. One day you will. I encourage you to do what you want to do in this profession and life. Then offer yours. There is a reason there is pre pod forums and residency and attending forums. They have different questions and different opinions and different perspectives.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the consensus ithat surveys are bs?
I sort of ballparked it using those including bls. Is 1.salary too optimistic? Is BLS too low? To high? Just right?? What about the industry surveys like apma are those being cooked like a previous attending mentioned.

I really like hearing anectodes from happy and disgruntled attendings but like gypsy said it would be nice to have a standard to judge.

Yes it would be nice. But reality will prove that there is no magic answer. It’s that simple.

In your opinion, do you have friends or peers in other avenues of healthcare, like pharmacy or Optometry? It would seem like if all the non MD/DO healthcare options out there, DPM is the next best choice. I mean think of PharmD, OD, DPT, and the others.

The only field I think has it better is DDS.

All I am offering is my opinion. From a perspective you don't have. Yet. One day you will. I encourage you to do what you want to do in this profession and life. Then offer yours. There is a reason there is pre pod forums and residency and attending forums. They have different questions and different opinions and different perspectives.

In your opinion, do you have friends or peers in other avenues of healthcare, like pharmacy or Optometry? It would seem like if all the non MD/DO healthcare options out there, DPM is the next best choice. I mean think of PharmD, OD, DPT, and the others.

The only field I think has it better is DDS.

In addition to MDs/DOs, I have friends who are pharmacists, optometrists, PTs, chiropractors, and massage therapists. Everyone has their own set of problems. Primary care providers have it the worst. Radiologists are on the gravy train.

Reactions: 3 users
@air bud can you list your problems with podiatry in one post? if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do know the MGMA “data” is only based surveys completed by practicing physicians who fit the categories define by the MGMA. They send out surveys to DPMs who fit “podiatry general”, “podiatry surgical”, there is even a category called “podiatry foot and ankle”.

All the DPMs that fit this category are sent surveys to complete. How many are in each category we don’t know. How many actually complete the damn survey we don’t know.

When I got my contract the wording for my RVU incentive bonus did NOT have defined numerical RVU amount goals and did NOT have defined numerical dollar amount per RVU.

The language was “median amount per MGMA guidelines”.

If I had left that the way it was in my contract my RVU goal per year and amount of dollars per RVU could drastically change (for better or worse) from year to year. WHY? Because the MGMA data yearly is dictate by how many DPMs complete the survey. Don’t leave anything up to chance. Always have specific details built into your contract.

That's too bad and the reason why many Prepods are questioning these salary-related questions because there seems to be no way to know how much a Pod "suppose" to make after residency and on. In any case, I'll work hard for it when the time comes, but for now its Biochem time.

Reactions: 1 user
This is like asking “How much does a businessman make?”

Reactions: 2 users
can anyone comment on the difficulties of finding a residency or job after podiatry school?

That's too bad and the reason why many Prepods are questioning these salary-related questions because there seems to be no way to know how much a Pod "suppose" to make after residency and on. In any case, I'll work hard for it when the time comes, but for now its Biochem time.
Keep changing avatars? Isn't there a limit?

can anyone comment on the difficulties of finding a residency or job after podiatry school?
I am sure it depends a lot on your location preferences and how many apps (interviews) you send out.
If you narrow your options, you decrease your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I respect your opinion. But, if you are 2-3 years out of residency, no need to shut other people out.

I find this entire post almost amusing. There are so many variables that you can’t start counting your money now. You may do a great residency, you may not. You may be a gifted and talented surgeon, you may not. You may get a great offer with a hospital. You may not. You may get a great opportunity to become a partner in a multi specialty group. You may not. And the list goes on and on and on.

Things are changing on the horizon. As I’ve stated before, big brother is watching. If a patient goes to Dr. Ivana Billalot with heel pain and ends up with 6 xray views, 3 ultrasound studies, vascular studies (just to make sure it’s not claudication pain!), an injection, custom orthoses, a night splint, some in office PT, a tube of Biofreeze and some expensive topical compounded meds all on the first visit , and another patient goes to Dr. Kenny Doitright who straps the foot and tells the patient how to stretch, use ice and buy a quality OTC insert......the insurance WILL notice. The mentality of do more and get more will be a dinosaur. It will be based on expense vs outcomes.

Elective surgery is headed down the same path. Those of you who perform a lot of elective surgery will attest to the fact that more and more cases are requiring pre authorization. They simply don’t want to pay for non urgent elective surgery. They WILL weed out those abusing the system and it’s long overdue.

Forget about all these surveys. The data going out is only as good as the data going in. I know former residents who have participated in surveys and have greatly exaggerated their numbers. Unless these surveys are looking at financials, they are invalid in my opinion.

Maybe that’s why the numbers never jive. Don’t forget that the National avg for DPMs is supposed to be around $135,000.

Things are not all rosy. Some of you will scrape by and some will make a fantastic living. Some of it is within your control and some is not. Work hard, do well and remain ethical and you will do fine.

Just don’t start counting your money yet. I’ve seen too many young docs go down that road only to be disappointed. Take one day at a time and maintain your integrity. And hopefully you’ll be happy with your income and it will meet your expectations.

I agree with this guy over here- dont compare yourself to others like "hey this person was horrible in school and did a terrible residency and is now making 165K out the door!, I surely will make wayy more than that"- Perhaps, but perhaps not.

What you do have to do is OPTIMIZE every opportunity that comes even remotely near you to land those types of jobs or income generators so that you don't miss a beat. Make your own luck in a way. But not in the way like that rich guy from the titanic that kept saying "i make my own luck" and died anyway.

Do you think there is a demand for podiatrists right now, or is it getting to the optometry point where there are more graduates than job openings?

Nothing can be as bad as pharmacy right now tho, saturationwise.

It is definitely close. I don't think there is an absolute need for podiatrists TBH.

The issue lies not whether there is a need, the issues is these schools pumping out too many b-sqaud students who lazily go through residency with no clue on what to do after they graduate, or on the more unfortunate end- take up jobs in which they are miserable in making another pod money.

Schools should be the foundation to our profession, but its not. It is a money grab for the schools and their interests and not completely on par yet with MD, DO. If the schools trained less students, we would not have a res crisis, and perhaps we would have better quality graduates, weeding out those that really shouldn't be in school in the first place, let alone operating on another human being.

Reactions: 1 users
cool story.
Chill out dude.

Whether you agree with their opinion or not, whether they come off as condescending or give you a perspective you don't have yet, respect it.

Every time I get on here (which is too often) it gets annoying.

Its ok to question everything. Its better to show some restraint and figure it out for yourself with the information given after you've gone through what they went through.

If you go through it and come back with a different perspective then share it.

But for now, learn quietly and just soak it in. We havn't seen what they've seen yet. Its getting toxic. Podiatry doesn't need anymore infighting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
from My understanding, there was a moretorium on schools and this next year they are lifting that ban. It’s a shame, they just got the residency problem under control only to throw more students to the wolves.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure Kent and Temple are great schools, but do they need 100+ students graduating every year?

I wonder what would happen if they cut all classes by half, if that would help.

It is definitely close. I don't think there is an absolute need for podiatrists TBH.

The issue lies not whether there is a need, the issues is these schools pumping out too many b-sqaud students who lazily go through residency with no clue on what to do after they graduate, or on the more unfortunate end- take up jobs in which they are miserable in making another pod money.

Schools should be the foundation to our profession, but its not. It is a money grab for the schools and their interests and not completely on par yet with MD, DO. If the schools trained less students, we would not have a res crisis, and perhaps we would have better quality graduates, weeding out those that really shouldn't be in school in the first place, let alone operating on another human being.

Everyone needs to chill.

Non podiatrists who come into this forum with the intent of causing trouble or who find themselves creating trouble are trolling and will be sanctioned.

Students telling physicians what their job is like or how it should change is a problem in all the specialty forums; it was a huge one in the Surgery forum for some time.

Students are a vital part of our community and we need to nourish them. But at the same time they need to respect the community and the experience of those farther along the educational path.

Moving forward, non podiatrists who cannot play nicely will be removed from this forum and possibly SDN.

Reactions: 5 users
Everyone needs to chill.

Non podiatrists who come into this forum with the intent of causing trouble or who find themselves creating trouble are trolling and will be sanctioned.

Students telling physicians what their job is like or how it should change is a problem in all the specialty forums; it was a huge one in the Surgery forum for some time.

Students are a vital part of our community and we need to nourish them. But at the same time they need to respect the community and the experience of those farther along the educational path.

Moving forward, non podiatrists who cannot play nicely will be removed from this forum and possibly SDN.
the problems of podiatry

I really appreciate his feedback.

How you phrase a request is just as important as what you're asking.

Please keep that in mind as you move forward in your career in medicine. Otherwise you may have issues during 4th year and residency.

Air Bud is probably busy working like the rest of us Attendings and doesn't have time to post right now. Well, not me. I'm waiting for the chairlift to start loading.

Air Bud is probably busy working like the rest of us Attendings and doesn't have time to post right now. Well, not me. I'm waiting for the chairlift to start loading.

Slacker!!

How you phrase a request is just as important as what you're asking.

Please keep that in mind as you move forward in your career in medicine. Otherwise you may have issues during 4th year and residency.
I understand. Sorry about that.

Where's the "dislike" button? Or maybe just the "jealous" button...

Not to worry, I have a $45,000 nail care Fellow watching the office.

Attachments

• E66F88C9-D59A-4287-AA1E-C5660F01D968.jpeg
    E66F88C9-D59A-4287-AA1E-C5660F01D968.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: 5 users
Good thing you got some coverage last night, looks like it would have been a little thin (and hard pack) otherwise. Early season turns on some groomers sure beats the office...

If you paid your fellow a couple grand more you could get them to do some secretarial work as well. Maybe even scribe for you.

Seriously lets just keep talking snow since this thread has been completely useless for awhile now

ew, snow.

Good thing you got some coverage last night, looks like it would have been a little thin (and hard pack) otherwise. Early season turns on some groomers sure beats the office...

If you paid your fellow a couple grand more you could get them to do some secretarial work as well. Maybe even scribe for you.

Seriously lets just keep talking snow since this thread has been completely useless for awhile now

I am still waiting at @air bud to give me a list with the problems of podiatry in one post. Just saying!
No I won't, sorry. Read my posts. Read others. Shadow. Then begin to formulate an opinion. My words are no more important than anyone elses. It is a piece of the puzzle. There is no one post that summarizes. From me or anyone else.

I'm just glad the temperature dropped enough for the rain to turn to snow again. Rain in town, not so bad. Rain on a ski resort, no bueno.

what do you mean?

In 4th year, you’ll rotate through different externships and clerkships, places where there are residency programs that you want to impress and want them to like you. We are humans too, we all have feelings, we pick future residents based on many factors including academics, but a big part of it is personality, because we have to put up with you for 3 years. If you continue to be a prick and ask demanding questions, even if you’re the best academically, no one will want to deal with you. Meaning top 10 students in your class are at risk for scrambling just like anyone else is. Don’t be a prick.

I am still waiting at @air bud to give me a list with the problems of podiatry in one post. Just saying!

his comments aren't like clear and direct. I appreciate his feedback tho.

I feel like we would benefit more if its in one post and get a clear picture.

This is exactly what I was talking about.

The residents and attendings do not exist here on SDN to be at your beck and call. We consider it a privilege to have their presence here and demands such as yours are what drive more experienced users away from SDN. On many occasions, when polled, attending physicians have explained that this sort of attitude and treatment is what caused them to quit coming here.

It is presumptuous of you to demand his attention and inconsiderate that you would expect that he/she has nothing else to do but give you information in the format you prefer, rather than what is easier and most convenient for them.

Like others have suggested above, its how your present your request that will affect the result. Furthermore, your use of lingo such as "just sayin'" or "bro" is immature and unprofessional and leads people to not take you seriously.

Reactions: 8 users
This is exactly what I was talking about.

The residents and attendings do not exist here on SDN to be at your beck and call. We consider it a privilege to have their presence here and demands such as yours are what drive more experienced users away from SDN. On many occasions, when polled, attending physicians have explained that this sort of attitude and treatment is what caused them to quit coming here.

It is presumptuous of you to demand his attention and inconsiderate that you would expect that he/she has nothing else to do but give you information in the format you prefer, rather than what is easier and most convenient for them.

Like others have suggested above, its how your present your request that will affect the result. Furthermore, your use of lingo such as "just sayin'" or "bro" is immature and unprofessional and leads people to not take you seriously.
I am sorry if I offended anyone, I recently joined so I am still learning.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, I recently joined so I am still learning.

Silence is golden, but duck tape is silver

Saying stuff like this is annoying to listen to, even if you’re right. Is it better to piss people off or to be right? Pick your battles, sometimes it’s best to just not say anything.

Is there a reason for asking?
Your forum name is "DoctorAtwal" and beneath it says "Gary". I assume he/she is putting it together? It's best to remember that podiatry is a small field and people tend to know each other. I am a current chief resident. There have been many times I have said "no" to giving someone an interview with our program (through my years as a resident) because they had attitudes or felt entitled. Just keep that in mind as your progress through school. Perhaps NatCh is involved with a residency program?

Your forum name is "DoctorAtwal" and beneath it says "Gary". I assume he/she is putting it together? It's best to remember that podiatry is a small field and people tend to know each other. I am a current chief resident. There have been many times I have said "no" to giving someone an interview with our program (through my years as a resident) because they had attitudes or felt entitled. Just keep that in mind as your progress through school. Perhaps NatCh is involved with a residency program?
PM me

I mean He/she could have PM me and asked. I don't think asking on the forum is really beneficial to others.
You admitted that you’re new here and are still learning the ropes. Therefore what business is it of yours to tell The users what’s beneficial to the forum?

Rather than being abrasive in your response perhaps you might consider that someone is trying to help you and do you a favor by suggesting that you don’t use your real name.

Either youre exceedingly naïve, unable to understand common social cues or being willfully disingenuous.

You admitted that you’re new here and are still learning the ropes. Therefore what business is it of yours to tell The users what’s beneficial to the forum?

Rather than being abrasive in your response perhaps you might consider that someone is trying to help you and do you a favor by suggesting that you don’t use your real name.

Either youre exceedingly naïve, unable to understand common social cues or being willfully disingenuous.
My intention is not to offend anyone, I guess I was just replying the way I usually do and will try to change that in future posts.

Ours is a very small profession and it's amazing how few degrees of separation there are between many of us. I know the true identity of several regular posters and I'm certain at least a few know who I am even though we've neither met nor stated our name out loud here. It's in your best interest to play nice especially if you may need something from one of us in the future.

SDN rule #1:

1. "Protect anonymity. Remember, students, doctors, schools and professional organizations follow the SDN Forums. Please keep your identity protected – don’t post or use your real name on the forums."

Ours is a very small profession and it's amazing how few degrees of separation there are between many of us. I know the true identity of several regular posters and I'm certain at least a few know who I am even though we've neither met nor stated our name out loud here. It's in your best interest to play nice especially if you may need something from one of us in the future.

SDN rule #1:

1. "Protect anonymity. Remember, students, doctors, schools and professional organizations follow the SDN Forums. Please keep your identity protected – don’t post or use your real name on the forums."
Thank you for letting me know, I really appreciate it. I apologize for offending anyone, it honestly was not my intention.