What is the worst thing you've done to your fellow premeds...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawliet2008

Nobody mess with Adam We
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...or have had done to you?

Anyone else walk into libraries and rip out crucial pages from textbooks? Maybe steal people's unattended notebooks when their iPod was sitting right there?

What is the worst thing that's been done to you?

I'm just curious how much we've done to other people in search of that acceptance letter.

Members don't see this ad.

other than experiencing the normal toolish behavior in classes, i've never really been "hit by a gunner."

nor have i ever tried to sabotage anyone else. i tend to go with the "live and let live" philosophy.

maybe it's just me.. but these types of people you are talking about tend to be the dumb ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah dude... that ain't cool. I'm glad none of my classes have pricks like these.

maybe it's just me.. but these types of people you are talking about tend to be the dumb ones?

Really? You guys have never been victims of fellow neurotic premeds? Man, I guess it depends a lot on the school. I go to school in Canada, and its pretty bad here.

1. I once had my pencil case (freshly stocked with some very expensive highlighters) stolen out of the inside pocket of my backpack when my cellphone was just sitting on the chair.

2. Our library is a joke, all the required texts are either stolen on day 1 or missing some crucial chapters.

3. I hate to admit that I've badmouthed some people to the prof in order to get better marks :rolleyes: (bell-curving is the rule here, and a 1% difference between two people may become 5% very quickly depending on how the class performs).

The only bad things I've done in undergrad I have done to myself...

are you serious? are there really people that pathetic out there? hopefully those people fail miserably at life...

Really? You guys have never been victims of fellow neurotic premeds? Man, I guess it depends a lot on the school. I go to school in Canada, and its pretty bad here.

1. I once had my pencil case (freshly stocked with some very expensive highlighters) stolen out of the inside pocket of my backpack when my cellphone was just sitting on the chair.

2. Our library is a joke, all the required texts are either stolen on day 1 or missing some crucial chapters.

3. I hate to admit that I've badmouthed some people to the prof in order to get better marks :rolleyes: (bell-curving is the rule here, and a 1% difference between two people may become 5% very quickly depending on how the class performs).

1. Uh... maybe they just wanted to steal your nice highlighters.
2. So what? This sounds like vandalism, rather than sabotage. Most students buy their own books in college,anyway. There's also the internet. Who relies on library books anymore?
3. Shame on you.

are you serious? are there really people that pathetic out there? hopefully those people fail miserably at life...

Again, depends where you go. But, is it really that surprising? Anywhere there is competition as intense as that for med school, wouldn't it be expected that people would take certain steps to better their chances? Would be kind of cool to do a study to see if the rate of these "steps" correlated at all with the matriculantion rate.

...in order to make it into medical school?

Anyone else walk into libraries and rip out crucial pages from textbooks? Maybe steal people's unattended notebooks when their iPod was sitting right there?

I'm just curious how much we've done to other people in search of that acceptance letter.

OP, your post sounds like you're a vandal and a thief who is proud of it. Are you bragging, or did you just do a poor job of wording your question?

I haven't seen anyone undermine anyone else in order to get ahead. The people I know are generally helpful and supportive of one another.

2. So what? This sounds like vandalism, rather than sabotage. Most students buy their own books in college,anyway. There's also the internet. Who relies on library books anymore?
3. Shame on you.

1. same thing's happened with my ratty physio notes.

2. a lot of us are strapped for cash, and we still need to get the specific problems that the profs put on the biochem/orgo/calculus classes.

3. I like to think of it as revenge.

OP, your post sounds like you're a vandal and a thief who is proud of it. Are you bragging, or did you just do a poor job of wording your question?

I haven't seen anyone undermine anyone else in order to get ahead. The people I know are generally helpful and supportive of one another.

Okay, it was poorly worded. I'm not bragging, just bored and thought I would throw this out there.

I never heard about anything like that while I was in college. However, I did hear about that sort of stuff happening at a couple other places...

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh...what are the chances you'll actually benefit from doing something like that? Even if i wasn't against it for moral reasons, it just seems kind of pointless. A stolen notebook's not gonna decide someone's future.

Meh...what are the chances you'll actually benefit from doing something like that? Even if i wasn't against it for moral reasons, it just seems kind of pointless. A stolen notebook's not gonna decide someone's future.

It was a 4rth year physio class with only 7 students, and I think I was at the top of the class going into the exam. Plus, the prof didn't post his lecture notes and there was no textbook. I had to go and beg some guy to give me a copy of his notes, and he looked really peeved about doing it too.

I think they already have... on so many levels!!!

It's really amazing that some people can become so pathetic by the age of 20; usually it takes a couple of illegitimate children and a lot of alcohol.

OP, all I can say is, I really hope you are not in my med school class. That's some pretty weak sauce.

Worst thing that you can do to a fellow premed:

Not withdrawing from the half-dozens other schools to which you were accepted, thereby ensuring an agonizing year-long wait for all of your fellow future colleagues on the alternate list.

Lawliet, I find your behavior disturbing. Stop being a decietful tool and just study some more. Stop cutting people down to get ahead, I find it pathetic that you wouldn't be able to do it yourself.

Oh, and why would you leave your cell phone unattended by your books? Seems unintelligent to me, especially since you're worried about your highlighters, you should be happy no one stole your phone.

Lawliet, I find your behavior disturbing. Stop being a decietful tool and just study some more. Stop cutting people down to get ahead, I find it pathetic that you wouldn't be able to do it yourself.

Oh, and why would you leave your cell phone unattended by your books? Seems unintelligent to me, especially since your worried about your highlighters, you should be happy no one stole your phone.

I concur, this Lawliet character is truly pathetic. He/she even tries to justify as to why they engage in such toolish behavior.

The worst thing I've ever done is not show up to (optional) review sessions before tests when I already knew the material. The idea is for those who get it to help out those that don't, but I'd always have about a dozen other things that needed to get done.

PS - Lawliet fails at life. :smuggrin:

I hate to admit that I've badmouthed some people to the prof in order to get better marks :rolleyes: (bell-curving is the rule here, and a 1% difference between two people may become 5% very quickly depending on how the class performs).

Have fun in MS3.

The only thing I ever did that could be considered damaging to my fellow pre-med classmates was get accepted to med-school.

The worst thing I've ever done is not show up to (optional) review sessions before tests when I already knew the material. The idea is for those who get it to help out those that don't, but I'd always have about a dozen other things that needed to get done.

PS - Lawliet fails at life. :smuggrin:

Wow, talk about misunderstood. Maybe the thread should have been titled, "what's the worst that's been done to you", but I thought I would get more interesting responses this way. I wasn't expecting the attitude though.

Until you guys come to my school where survival of the fittest is law, seriously, you won't understand. I was bored and just curious if anyone else experienced some of the things that I have.

Seriously guys, if this is going to be the attitude, then just let this thread die. No point in bringing out the worst in some of you people that I used to admire. Shame on you Clockwork.

Until you guys come to my school where survival of the fittest is law, seriously, you won't understand. I was bored and just curious if anyone else experienced some of the things that I have.

It is never appropriate to slander other students to a professor for your benefit. This is the kind of stuff that screws over 3rd and 4th year med students on the floors.

3. Shame on you.
Yeah, stealing highlighters and books sound like people are being poor, not hypercompetitive. The only definitely scummy thing is the one you admitted to doing personally

Seriously guys, if this is going to be the attitude, then just let this thread die. No point in bringing out the worst in some of you people that I used to admire. Shame on you Clockwork.

You don´t get it. This sort of thing really doesn´t happen. I went to a school where the averge in some classes was curved to just a 2.0, and this sort of thing still didn´t happen. People helped each other. I´ve tutored, and been tutored by, my fellow premeds whenever I´ve had trouble. It´s like you started a thread titled "has anyone else ever tortured a dog?" and were surprised that no one here could relate to your experiences (I´m assuming Michael Vick hasn´t turned premed yet).

It's not so much what they do to me as much as that it sometimes seems like they are talking to me to get to know what my GPA and MCAT score is so they can know if they should feel superior to me or not. Granted more often than not they are disappointed, but still, just talking to people and being judged by pepole who are trying to sound like they are better than you is irritating.

Do you go to Hopkins? When I interviewed for the post bac there, one of the questions I literally got was, "We have a serious problem here with competition, especially in areas such as the sciences. How do you propose to contribute to that postively?"

Flat out told two premed students in their face during an exam review that they can't get into medical school with their 2.0+ cGPA's. Now they are going into pharmacy.

One of the students was talking about wanting to transfer to Miami, FL so they could get into medical school through some crazy program they have there.

I am super duper competitive. Not just in academics, but in everything I do. I HATE to lose, and even the smallest losses will drive me crazy.

FORTUNATELY I am able to keep that just to myself, and when I say "competitive" it is in good-nature. I never cut other people down, and I actively try to help those around me. However, on the inside I'm like an animal (ok bad analogy haha) and I CANNOT STAND TO LOSE.

I view it as a good quality though. It just pushes me even harder to succeed.

Homicide .... when kids mess up my curve they seem to have 'accidents.' :laugh:

Telling people to come to SDN.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive and wanting to be the best as long as you give the same opportunity to those around you. Once you start trying to take away opportunities for other's to be successful in order to succeed yourself you deserve to suffer the consequences of your actions.

http://www.schweitzer.org/english/ase/aseref.htm

Here is an excerpt by one of my favorite people, Albert Schweitzer, that discusses the underlying problem with gunnerism.

I am super duper competitive. Not just in academics, but in everything I do. I HATE to lose, and even the smallest losses will drive me crazy.

FORTUNATELY I am able to keep that just to myself, and when I say "competitive" it is in good-nature. I never cut other people down, and I actively try to help those around me. However, on the inside I'm like an animal (ok bad analogy haha) and I CANNOT STAND TO LOSE.

I view it as a good quality though. It just pushes me even harder to succeed.

I totally agree. I'm sure lots of people are like this, but it shouldn't spill onto others nor should it impact other's futures.

When I saw this topic, I was kinda worried about what I'd find. But for the most part, I'm glad to see people aren't sabotaging fellow students to get ahead. No reason to do that.

First day of Ochem Lab 1:

Walked in, listened to the cautionary saftey lecture, began experiment.
Made up a solution of whatever I was working with, put it a test tube and BOOM, the thing turns jet black. It doesn't just turn a funny color, it STAINED the tube. Being the genius I am, I tried it 3 more times, in 3 more tubes..

At first I thought I was just incompetent, but shortly after I brought my problem to the T.A, both groups on either side of me experienced the same problem...

The T.A didn't have the faintest idea what was going wrong, and as soon as we got replacement tubes everything cleared up...

Made up a solution of whatever I was working with, put it a test tube and BOOM, the thing turns jet black. It doesn't just turn a funny color, it STAINED the tube. Being the genius I am, I tried it 3 more times, in 3 more tubes..

At first I thought I was just incompetent, but shortly after I brought my problem to the T.A, both groups on either side of me experienced the same problem...

The T.A didn't have the faintest idea what was going wrong, and as soon as we got replacement tubes everything cleared up...
What?

Yeah I'm confused too :confused:

In my orgo lab class, we have a quiz every week or so. There was this one kid (premed) who would occasionally sit next to me and look at my answers and copy them. He thought he was being subtle but I noticed it.

So one day, knowing that he was looking, I wrote down the wrong answer on my paper. After he copied it, got up and handed it in, I crossed out my answer and wrote in the correct one. :smuggrin:

Just goes to show that hurting other premeds is sometimes not only necessary, but justified and funny :thumbup:

In my orgo lab class, we have a quiz every week or so. There was this one kid (premed) who would occasionally sit next to me and look at my answers and copy them. He thought he was being subtle but I noticed it.

So one day, knowing that he was looking, I wrote down the wrong answer on my paper. After he copied it, got up and handed it in, I crossed out my answer and wrote in the correct one. :smuggrin:

Just goes to show that hurting other premeds is sometimes not only necessary, but justified and funny :thumbup:

You should have just wrote down, "I already reported you. Good luck with your F." and make him sweat :)

:laugh: Good one!

Most pre-meds I have run into at my undergrad institution were pretty cutthroat. In the labs, no one seemed as intrested in doing any of the work as they were in getting other people's labs to copy. Its completely unethical and disturbing.

Dude no way haha!! In my micro class this kid that sat next to me would copy every test I had and cheated his way to an A in lecture (I found out all this two days before the final from a mutual friend). So then on the day of the final exam I filled in the scantron entirely backwards (correct answer A= I'd write D, B=C, etc.). When he got up I went back and filled it in right.

Turns out he got a 27% on the final. I felt bad at first but he had it coming haha.

Flat out told two premed students in their face during an exam review that they can't get into medical school with their 2.0+ cGPA's. Now they are going into pharmacy.

One of the students was talking about wanting to transfer to Miami, FL so they could get into medical school through some crazy program they have there.

Don't forget that you have also posed as a resident on SDN with crappy advice and attempts to dissuade other premeds from going into medicine.

Don't forget that you have also posed as a resident on SDN with crappy advice and attempts to dissuade other premeds from going into medicine.
http://go-dl3.eve-files.com/media/0603/******.jpg

I think s/he's trying to hint that some of the test tubes were laced with something to make the experiment go awry.

Before I was premed and was just taking postbac science classes to help with my research I loved to mess with the already neurotic Pre-meds. They are just so easy targets because of how fragile and anxious they are. I got them into philosophicle logic loops to make them question their chosen path, usually with questions/hesitation I already had with the profession. Also, and this was the most fun, was to out score them on the tests with little or no effort. Once I realized I wanted to go into medicine I stopped picking on them and became e them, neurotic and all. Volunteering also help me to grow a little more compassionate and tolerant of other people despite how stupid they can be at times.