What is this kid??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anuwolf

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That totally made me sad. I wish his mother would have came in the room to give him a hug.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember hero quest, it was kinda like a watered down version of D&D? I nenver played the D&D thing, but I have fond memories of hero quest.

Psyclops said:
I remember hero quest, it was kinda like a watered down version of D&D? I nenver played the D&D thing, but I have fond memories of hero quest.

That's awesome! Hero Quest was, in a sense, a watered down version of D&D. What I liked about it was the use of a gameboard and figures, which allowed you to visualize what the characters were doing. Dice were also involved. There were two "quest packs" that came out that allowed you to go on additional quests. Ah, to be a kid again! :D

Ahhh, if you hadn't brought that up, there is a very good chance it would have faded away forever. This also sgguests to me that you are a male PH?

jlw said:
Dark Tower, anyone?

Best game EVER. I need to find a used set and lock myself into a room with it for a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought that character selection in RPGs is a fantastic projective test. People tend to choose characters that complement their perceived deficits. I'm basing this on my recollections of how my friends who were frail, thick-glasses-wearing asthmatics always chose characters that were muscle-bound, axe-wielding maniacs (human or dwarf), while the more physically substantial, jock-types among us (including me) somehow ended up as elven clerics or other "thinking" characters.

And then we discovered girls... ;)

Doc Samson said:
I've always thought that character selection in RPGs is a fantastic projective test. People tend to choose characters that complement their perceived deficits. I'm basing this on my recollections of how my friends who were frail, thick-glasses-wearing asthmatics always chose characters that were muscle-bound, axe-wielding maniacs (human or dwarf), while the more physically substantial, jock-types among us (including me) somehow ended up as elven clerics or other "thinking" characters.

And then we discovered girls... ;)
Great observation. I also saw it from those without significant 'defenses' choosing character classes that they themselves tried to emulate. i.e. It could work in opposite fashion as to how you described - a muscle bound jock choosing the warrior. Nowadays, I find myself leaning toward the hybrid breeds....half-elves with both spellcasting and fighting skills. The so-called "battlemage" or "spellsword." These classes were more difficult to pull off in D&D.

Yes, I loved D&D, Dark Tower, and Hero Quest.
:thumbup:

Anasazi23 said:
Nowadays, I find myself leaning toward the hybrid breeds....half-elves with both spellcasting and fighting skills. The so-called "battlemage" or "spellsword."

I guess now you understand the prescribing/medical psychologist characters. Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

watto said:
Best game EVER. I need to find a used set and lock myself into a room with it for a few weeks.
That can be arranged. All I have to do is steal the set from my friend's house so her husband can stop badgering me about playing it with him. The one time I caved, he crushed me. Nothing like re-living the childhood trauma of playing Dark Tower with my brother and losing every time.

(And since there are some who insist on diagnosing everything around here, I believe my actions could be V-coded as Adult Antisocial Behavior, but am happy to be corrected on that.)

Originally Posted by Doc Samson

I don't know if this is the case, I could see sazi's predictions coming true too.

And then we discovered girls...

But this is definetly true! It made me laugh out loud.

Anasazi23 said:
Great observation. I also saw it from those without significant 'defenses' choosing character classes that they themselves tried to emulate. i.e. It could work in opposite fashion as to how you described - a muscle bound jock choosing the warrior. Nowadays, I find myself leaning toward the hybrid breeds....half-elves with both spellcasting and fighting skills. The so-called "battlemage" or "spellsword." These classes were more difficult to pull off in D&D.

Yes, I loved D&D, Dark Tower, and Hero Quest.
:thumbup:

But I don't need a projective test to tell me that Sazi hasn't discovered girls. :laugh:

Sorry to thwart your dreams, folks. I did just. fine. with the ladies. ;)

You're talking to my high school's homecoming king here. The girls dug the old Mustang I had in high school. I was actually not what you'd probably expect...expelled from Catholic school in 9th grade, arrests, etc.
:laugh:

If I had the guts, I'd post the link....