What is up with UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdj37

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( UNLV over accepted during the fall and then told most the people interviewing in Feb, Mar, April that the class is full and that everyone is on the waiting list. This is after I scored over 700 on the interview which is supposed to mean "guaranteed acceptance."

I am frustrated with the school because people who got 17s on their DAT and have a GPA of 3.0 or lower got in when I have a 20 on the DAT and a 3.6 GPA.

Is UNLV telling the April interviewers that the class is already full or are they letting them waste the money on flights and hotels to come and be beat out by less qualified applicants?

They don't require a deposit either, so many of the accepted students are probably just waiting to tell them they are going somewhere else.

Does anyone know any more information that might give me hope of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hate to break it to you, but.....

jdj37 said:
.... I scored over 700 on the interview which is supposed to mean "guaranteed acceptance."

A) There is no such thing as a "gauranteed acceptance."

jdj37 said:
I am frustrated with the school because people who got 17s on their DAT and have a GPA of 3.0 or lower got in when I have a 20 on the DAT and a 3.6 GPA.

B) In the dental application process, the early bird gets the worm.

I feel for you being in the position that you are, but its not the schools fault. On a more positive note, you do have solid stats and will most likely be accepted next cycle if that application gets turned in early. Good luck!

Is UNLV your first choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately UNLV does have to over-accept because they don't require a deposit and lots of people drop out at the last minute.
On another sad note, I too was a victim of the late application.
Live and learn I guess.
The only thing you can do is stay in contact with them and let them see how interested you are.
Good Luck

ANOTHER VICTIM IS HERE... :( Anyways, DON"T GIV UP HOPE!! IF the fee isn't so expensive, take a chance. WIth your good Stat, hopefully, you'll be picked first from waitlist.

WAITINg IN VAIN too... :eek:

I was also waitlisted at UNLV, live in-state, and had an AA of 20 and GPA of 3.6. I had my secondary app turned in last Oct. Based on the stats from last years class I was suprised that I was waitlisted. I kinda wish that UNLV would start charging a commitment fee. I heard that last year they admitted an NV resident who scored several 13's on the DAT who was on the waitlist just a week before classes start. There is always hope. Maybe that is why they jumped the gun and started admitting so many people early, because that wanted to try to get some quality students lined up for the next time around.

NVDental said:
I was also waitlisted at UNLV, live in-state, and had an AA of 20 and GPA of 3.6. I had my secondary app turned in last Oct. Based on the stats from last years class I was suprised that I was waitlisted. I kinda wish that UNLV would start charging a commitment fee. I heard that last year they admitted an NV resident who scored several 13's on the DAT who was on the waitlist just a week before classes start. There is always hope. Maybe that is why they jumped the gun and started admitting so many people early, because that wanted to try to get some quality students lined up for the next time around.

Considering you're a NV resident, I would be shocked if you didnt get accepted from the waitlist.

Hope to see you in August! :thumbup:

NVDental said:

Sometimes, it's who you know, not what you know. I betcha this person will lower the average board scores for the school...only going to hurt them.

NVDental said:

Thats interesting that you were waitlisted. I know several instaters that applied after you and got in with similar and lower stats. When did you schedule your interview. My only thought is you must have scheduled your interview after Jan. The sad truth is the early bird gets the worm.

I was in the first round of acceptances the first year of the school. As I remember originally the dental school was going to require a fee to hold your spot until the administration was informed of some state law against it. As it turned out I was extremely grateful because I didnt have 500-1000 dollars to throw down at the time.

quote: "I heard that last year they admitted an NV resident who scored several 13's on the DAT who was on the waitlist just a week before classes start."

might be true, might not, paying attention to uncorroborated things you've heard will usually get you in trouble, i heard a lotta stuff while applying and out on interviews, applicants get no better than old women in a barber shop with their talk. so i wouldnt pay much attention to any of that.

now let me cause you insult with the caveat that it's true and shouldnt come as a suprise. When a school admits a kid, most of them don't just look at numbers, gpa and dat, no logical person chooses based on only those scores. If your scores exceeded the mark of the average, maybe your impression on them did not. These things happen.

however, good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Tom