What is your favorite non-science class and why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrKitty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is one of the possible interview questions. I have had many favorite non-science courses in college, such as philosophy, world literature, painting, so it is hard to choose one. And, is it expected that you somehow relate your interest in this course to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

hah, im double majoring in history and biology, so that would be an easy one for me :)

philosophy. It's an entirely different way of thinking than science. There is no right answer... just more questions. That's the beauty of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
clay-wheel throwing. and no, i don't intend to relate it back to medicine, other than perhaps that it's a very effective way to relieve stress, which should help me through med school. there's more to my life than being pre-med! :)

My favorite class was the "History of Rock Music". Totally sick class, and a fairly easy A to boot.

DrKitty said:
This is one of the possible interview questions. I have had many favorite non-science courses in college, such as philosophy, world literature, painting, so it is hard to choose one. And, is it expected that you somehow relate your interest in this course to medicine?

ummm... calculus... :confused:

kidding. Weight Training I and II. Both one credit a piece but getting any credit to work out was too hard to pass up.

DrKitty said:
I have a PhD in Anthropology. No problem answering this one.

astronomy. self explanatory.
-mota

SanDiegoSOD said:
My favorite class was the "History of Rock Music". Totally sick class, and a fairly easy A to boot.

Me too! :p It was so much fun! Listening to classic rock for an hour was a great break from all of my chem and bio classes!

Game Theory (economics). really cool.

history becuase it is shocking how we as humans have not changed as much as we like to think

I think Just and Unjust Wars (philosophy class) was maybe my favorite non-science course. Although I really had some awesome classes. Science and Religion, another philosophy, was also great. I was pretty close to having both a philosophy and a psychology minor, but I decided to pursue whatever courses I was interested in rather than complete a minor just for the sake of a minor. The psychology courses I took were all pre-reqs to get to Abnormal Psych, which was what I wanted to take in the first place; that was also a good course (it was honors, so only 5 people in the class, and lots of discussions and such). I also had a dual religious and regular college curriculum, so I had some really interesting religious courses as well.

In response to this as an interview question, though, I'd say Just and Unjust Wars.

Ah, the nostalgia :p

Id say tie between aging and developmental psychology......

But then again, psychology classes are kind of a "science"...blah..

classical mythology, really cool.

I second the philosophy...its on the opposite side of the spectrum

If I'd taken a classical mythology or world religion class, I'd put that as my answer, but the class i wanted to take on that topic was conflicting.

So my next best answer would be my intro to sociology class I took a few years ago. That was a good class that I still ponder about sometimes.

My art history class taken while studying abroad... the prof traveled to a bunch of cities in europe with us, and we had "lecture" in museums, where she would talk about a piece while we were standing right in front of the original. Pretty cool.