What kind of calculator do you rock?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Casio fx115ms. Can't remember when I got it. Never needed a graphing calc.

This. Till I die.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had one of those Casio. TI-83+ was nice until college, then I realized that the calculator is ******. The no-calculator calculus classes did not help, but even in calculus-based physics it was rather useless since most of the stuff was more about the formulas rather than the calculations, did not help that apparently it was way too much for the calculator to even do integrals. I think the only class where the TI was actually useful was in stat, because of the nCr and nPr commands.

Heck, even most of the asian kids in my classes relied on those $12 calculators...I should have taken the hint and saved my frustration with the TI. :(

Last edited:
ti-89 because it makes me look smarter than I actually am

Members don't see this ad :)
this is awesome

how much does it cost? do you get it through the android market?

i got the thing on a rooted Evo... androids 4 life...:D

I don't rock a calculator.

Real premeds do it in their head!

Does anybody use a hp 48g (RPN ROCKS!)? Had one for undergrad. I use a ti-89 now though.

I don't rock a calculator.

Real premeds do it in their head!

Hee hee! Quick...I have a 42 lb 4-year-old...How many mg of Amoxicillin would I prescribe (40 mg/kg divided TID)? :laugh:

Hee hee! Quick...I have a 42 lb 4-year-old...How many mg of Amoxicillin would I prescribe (40 mg/kg divided TID)? :laugh:

40*19.5≤800mg TID (close enough for the MCAT). If we needed more precision, 780 mg TID (20*40-.5*40).

Haha....

I wish i had the fx115ms now, but i only have the fx300es, which doesnt do calculus.

Step 1. Convert pounds to kg:42 lb × 1 kg/2.2 lb = 19 kg
Step 2. Calculate the dose in mg:19 kg × 40 mg/kg= 763 mg
Step 3. Divide the dose by the frequency:763 mg/day ÷ 3 (TID) = 254mg/dose TID
Step 4. Convert the mg dose to mL:convert to mL's for the desired concentration

*40 mg/kg is good for like UTI's and pharyngitis, while 80 mg/kg would be good for OM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wolfram|Alpha needs to make a calculator. :D

Well, you know that Wolfram Research wrote the computer program Mathematica, right? So if you have $2500 lying around...

---

OP: This question/thread is close to my heart! I have a slightly large calculator collection. None is particularly fancy, but still I have more calculators than any one person "needs" just for himself. Like... I think possibly more than 15?

My favorites for general chemistry are from the Casio FX series like this one. I have three Casio scientific calculators that are from this product line. The EXP button is placed perfectly for rapid use, unlike Texas Instrument brand calculators, which require yo to use the 2nd button prior to hitting the EE button (their equivalent of EXP). This makes it much faster to do problems where everything is in scientific notation.

I have a number of basic calculators in strategic spots around the house and one in my car. My graphing calculator is a TI-83+, but honestly I never really went far enough in math classes to really get good use out of it. I wear a Casio WR calculator watch, and I use it all the time.

:thumbup:

Android Froyo 2.2 with TI-83 Emulator :thumbup:

i finally put this on my droid incredible and i love it! i wish they had the ti-89 version though because that's what i used throughout undergrad

TI-93. Got it in high school. I am horrible at math. :help:

pro's: it has a qwerty keyboard and you can plug in all sorts of goodies. :thumbup:

con: size :thumbdown:

TI-93. Got it in high school. I am horrible at math. :help:

pro's: it has a qwerty keyboard and you can plug in all sorts of goodies. :thumbup:

con: size :thumbdown:

Dude, Hoody, I think that I have one of those. It was my grandpa's. It is either a 92 or a 93! You go girl! :)

40*19.5≤800mg TID (close enough for the MCAT). If we needed more precision, 780 mg TID (20*40-.5*40).

Haha....

Step 1. Convert pounds to kg:42 lb × 1 kg/2.2 lb = 19 kg
Step 2. Calculate the dose in mg:19 kg × 40 mg/kg= 763 mg
Step 3. Divide the dose by the frequency:763 mg/day ÷ 3 (TID) = 254mg/dose TID
Step 4. Convert the mg dose to mL:convert to mL's for the desired concentration

*40 mg/kg is good for like UTI's and pharyngitis, while 80 mg/kg would be good for OM.
I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

---
OP: This question/thread is close to my heart! I have a slightly large calculator collection. None is particularly fancy, but still I have more calculators than any one person "needs" just for himself. Like... I think possibly more than 15?

I don't have 15 calculators, but I certainly have a collection going which comes in handy. I have most of the TIs and have used some Casio calculators. Maple was good when I was taking calculus just for fun. I think that I have a copy of Maple floating around somewhere.

Gettheleadout said:
I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

Just a simple pediatric dosing conversion. Find a child's weight in kilograms, calculate how many miligrams of the medication that the patient should have based on weight of the child, divide by the number of doses per day (used more for the directions for the mother), and determine how many mililiters or teaspoons that the patient should have per dose. For instance, 5 mL or one tsp can equal 250 mg. So, a prescription would read something like Amoxicillin 250 mg po TID or Amoxicillin one tsp po q 8 hrs.

Wow, I ever wondered if I would have a mid-life crisis, but you clearly beat me to it. Good luck.

To answer your question borrowed my chem TA's TI 84 Plus freshmen year for my second exam, still have it in my second semester junior year, I think ill just keep it at this point.

Last edited:
Just a simple pediatric dosing conversion. Find a child's weight in kilograms, calculate how many miligrams of the medication that the patient should have based on weight of the child, divide by the number of doses per day (used more for the directions for the mother), and determine how many mililiters or teaspoons that the patient should have per dose. For instance, 5 mL or one tsp can equal 250 mg. So, a prescription would read something like Amoxicillin 250 mg po TID or Amoxicillin one tsp po q 8 hrs.
Ah, so this is what actual clinical experience can teach you...
Wow, I ever wondered if I would have a mid-life crisis, but you clearly beat me to it. Good luck.
You're a jerk. Please leave teh SDN's.

Ah, so this is what actual clinical experience can teach you...

Not too exciting, I know. There are way more practical things to learn like how to fart and make it look like the patient did it, how to keep dementia patients busy for hours by folding washclothes, and knowing who on the the hospital level of hierarchy you can wake up at such and such time...j/k :)

I still consider my paramedic school days the best. I thought that it was always fun to be at the hospital then come home and watch about what happened in the news. Those were wild times.

Does anybody use a hp 48g (RPN ROCKS!)? Had one for undergrad. I use a ti-89 now though.

yes!! mine dates back to high school in the mid-90s and has gotten me through 7 years of undergrad and 2 bachelor degrees. it's so old my professor allowed it on a recent biochemistry exam (it's not sophisticated enough to cheat, i guess :laugh:), but i just can't part with the reverse polish notation.

84comp.jpg

Okay, I have been wanting someone to ask me about my calculator for years! Thanks for making my day, StudyShy. :laugh:

I have a Casio fx-7000G. If you youngsters haven't heard if it that is because I am sure they don't make it anymore. I got this calculator back in my senior year of high school in.... 1989. Yep, this baby is 22 years old! I have taken excellent care of it and it looks like new. I even still have the original owner's manual. This was a hot item back in the day, one of the very first graphing calculators and it cost $100 new back then. This calculator has been with me through undergrad and post bac and now I just use it to balance my checkbook. :D

My favorites for general chemistry are from the Casio FX series like this one. I have three Casio scientific calculators that are from this product line. The EXP button is placed perfectly for rapid use, unlike Texas Instrument brand calculators, which require yo to use the 2nd button prior to hitting the EE button (their equivalent of EXP). This makes it much faster to do problems where everything is in scientific notation.

I know, right? The Casio is much more intuitive. Plus, I hate how you have to mash on the buttons of the TI-30 really hard, but the Casio buttons have a nice easy "click."

yes!! mine dates back to high school in the mid-90s and has gotten me through 7 years of undergrad and 2 bachelor degrees. it's so old my professor allowed it on a recent biochemistry exam (it's not sophisticated enough to cheat, i guess :laugh:), but i just can't part with the reverse polish notation.

Yes, 48g! <3 RPN! And a HP-20s for exams where graphic calculators are not allowed (most of them, actually).

HP35 (the original), then a 49G and 89 for medium duty, MATLAB + Mathematica for the hard stuff.

Also have a Keuffel & Esser Deci-Lon 10, really makes people stop and pause when they see me using it every now and then :D Old school for the win--math. Math never changes.

Casio fx115ms. Can't remember when I got it. Never needed a graphing calc.
Someone in my calc 2 class has never had a graphing calculator and it blew my mind. A) How did they survive? B) No PuzzPack! C) I thought all schools required a graphing calculator.

I have a crusty old TI-84 plus silver edition that has my name keyed into it (and is thus barely legible) and a picture of toast etched onto the back...and some integrals on the inside cover, for "emergency use only." I've thought about replacing the covers but it's not worth it. That calculator and I go way back.

Someone in my calc 2 class has never had a graphing calculator and it blew my mind. A) How did they survive? B) No PuzzPack! C) I thought all schools required a graphing calculator.

I have a crusty old TI-84 plus silver edition that has my name keyed into it (and is thus barely legible) and a picture of toast etched onto the back...and some integrals on the inside cover, for "emergency use only." I've thought about replacing the covers but it's not worth it. That calculator and I go way back.

SOP at my school was no calculators allowed in math classes up to BVP. Symbolic math engines remove the challenge of the course, and basic arithmetic is what your brain is for ;) What schools seriously teach Calc I/II/III/DiffEQ and allow calculators? :confused: I mean, I guess models without CAS (so 82/83/84/85/86) would be OK, but you can write/download programs to solve calc. for you, so most profs just ban them outright.

A scientific like the HP35 will get you through almost everything. Sure, the stats functions are nice on the TIs and HPs, and very useful timesavers, but they aren't critical.

SOP at my school was no calculators allowed in math classes up to BVP. Symbolic math engines remove the challenge of the course, and basic arithmetic is what your brain is for ;) What schools seriously teach Calc I/II/III/DiffEQ and allow calculators? :confused: I mean, I guess models without CAS (so 82/83/84/85/86) would be OK, but you can write/download programs to solve calc. for you, so most profs just ban them outright.

A scientific like the HP35 will get you through almost everything. Sure, the stats functions are nice on the TIs and HPs, and very useful timesavers, but they aren't critical.

The required calculator for my calc 1 and 2 class was a TI-89. Once you know how to find a derivative and an integral, that's no longer the important aspect of the course. It's more about how to apply the knowledge, which a CAS can't help you with.

I don't need a calculator. I can do complex math problems in my head... As all Trills and future humans do. You are all behind the times. Literally :smuggrin: