what kind of dental insurances do doctors have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okiamhot

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey. i posted this question in other two forums, didn't get much.
i suppose that i will try it here again.

i am just wondering what types of dental insurance the doctors have? does it cover anything cosmetic? =) i know that most insurance don't, but i suppose that doctors' dental insurance might be a little different?

i am just wondering if i should do it now, or wait till later when i may get it free.

Members don't see this ad.

i reckon it will depend on who you work for. with a doctor's salary you shouldn't have to worry about this at all though, unless you're doing something like veneers and implants. I promised my brother-in-law to be that i'll get him free veneers if i get in dental school, and i just found out that they run from $600 and up PER TOOTH. i just hope he forgets about it after i graduate..haha...

it's good thing you're thinking about this. most physicians i've met in my class have horrible teeth.

With the MD's/DO's that are patients in my practice, my partner and I have an understanding with them that we'll bill them at the "professional courtesy" rate (generally overhead and lab fees if applicable). If they offer dental insurance to their employees(and hence themselves, we'll just bill the insurance and wriote off the co-pay, in return the same courtesy is extended to us when we goto their offices. If its a strict fee for service procedure being done in their office(i.e. laser hair removal, etc) then it's either on a barter basis(i.e. a crown for the hair removal) or at the "courtesy discount" level.

Heck, I even extend the same courtesy to my dogs vet. I'll take care of my professional colleagues, because I'll never know when I'll need a favor in return :confused: :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
What ever you decide to do, please don't wait four years to see a dentist.

To answer your question, M.D.'s usually do not have any better benefits than the rest of my patients. If you are a part of a hospital then you'll get the same plan all the PA's and RN's (and janitors and security) are on. If you own your own shop you'll probably realize that dental insurance is not really insurance and not worth paying for the kind of coverage you're talking about.

The only plan I've ever seen that was significantly better than the usual $1000-2000 yearly limit was a retired CEO's wife and her limit was $7500.

Just to needle Dr. Jeff a bit I know he realizes waiving a copay is insurance fraud. :eek:

JMHO
Rob

Well, if you don't waive the copay, but cover the copay yourself is it still fraud? I mean, instead of the colleague paying his copay, you pick it up for him. That's like lending the guy 10 bucks...so is that still fraud?

Originally posted by no2thdk999

Just to needle Dr. Jeff a bit I know he realizes waiving a copay is insurance fraud. :eek:

JMHO
Rob

I'm well aware of that, but it just seems to be an amazing coincidence that my co-pays when I goto my various MD's offices are the same as when they come to my office;) :wow: Absolutely amazing:D

Originally posted by no2thdk999

JMHO
Rob

since it is insurance fraud, I don't understand why it still exists. Why would dentists want to risk their license, earn less, and get lousy patients?

Why do patient think, even if they pay 20-50% less, they will still get the same quality of treatments?
:confused: