What kind of job shadowing experience do dental schools appreciate?

Xception

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
What should one's job shadowing [experience] with a dentist entail, in order for it to be most fruitful and appreciated by dental schools? I'd appreciate insight into your personal [job shadowing] experiences, too.

Besides observing the dentist, i'm also working full-time as his front desk receptionist. Would my handling administrative stuff be a plus point at all?

Tweetie pie

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Hackensack, NJ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
administrative would help, but it's mainly the clinical experience that they are looking for to see if you have hand and people skills.

OP
X

Xception

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I was told that i can only have limited clinical hands-on-experience b/c one needs to be licensed as a dental assistant... ?

How can i get the most of my job shadowing when i'm only a pre-dental student?

Dan3223

Temple bound :)
10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2006
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
Limited hands on experience is better than no hands on experience.

Just try and do anything they will let you do. You can do a lot without being certified.

SanOnofre2002

Huge member
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Status
Non-Student
I didn't have any hands-on experience in the 100 or so hours of shadowing I had. If you can find a dentist to let you do anything, that's great but not required. The primary purpose is just to see what they are doing. Try to look for a few specific cases to remember so you can talk about it during your interview. Not that you need to know a bunch about the procedure performed or anything, but when they ask what you thought about the shadowing you can talk enthusiastically about something specific.

caffeinehigh

Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2007
Status
Dentist
The more time you spend in an office the better, regardless of what you're doing.

The more directly involved with the clinical side the better.

The more variety of cases and offices that you shadow in the better.

Suren911

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I've been working as a dental lab assistant for a year. I work on cases and see how they're put into use by my dentist bosses. Is this hot?

airsimon

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status
Dental Student
they liked that I am a phlebotemist. Hey, handling needles is the hardest part of dentistry