What Kind of Music Do Pre-Meds Listen to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cheers to you stereo, good to hear from another Aphex Twin listener on these boards. I can safely say that Drukqs and Selected Ambient Works volumes 1 & 2 are what got me through Organic, ha! I'm a big fan, I have pretty much Richard D. James entire repertoire, under various aliases, coming out to a copious 62 albums, meaning I've had this stuff for years, and I'm still discovering new tracks! enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

Mono is great post-rock for sure. A similar goodie is Te'.

Oh, I'd heard of Te'. A friend of mine was looking for their album(s) but having serious difficulty with google. Had me look it up in Japanese to no avail ("te"... I mean, really).

Orite. I totally meant post-rock. I must be going out of my mind! (I like both prog- and post-rock!:laugh:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Bonobo's Days to Come album - pure beauty.

Oh, I'd heard of Te'. A friend of mine was looking for their album(s) but having serious difficulty with google. Had me look it up in Japanese to no avail ("te"... I mean, really).
Try this. Look down a few posts, and it will be there. ;)

i make my own music. Some people say I should try to get a record deal and screw medical school. :cool:

Vinyl! Way to rock the classical!:thumbup:

I've been doing secondaries to Vivaldi's Stabat Mater and Cessate, Omai Cessate.:thumbup:

Ever heard Penderecki's Stabat Mater? Man, that's a really moving piece.

Speaking of electronica, Blaqk Audio has a definite sound that I enjoy.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxO314P-dwk[/youtube]

Title kinda sums it up.

In General, I love: John Mayer, Jimi Henrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Slightly Stoopid, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Ben Harper, Our Lady Peace. Tons more but those are a few of my favorites.

When Studying: Ben Folds (thats the only thing I can successfully study and listen to at the same time, don't really know why... might have just been the adderall).

Very nice selection my friend.

Anyone ever listened to Fela Kuti? That seems to appeal to just about everyone, for some reason. Can't stop those infectious beats!
Speaking of electronica, Blaqk Audio has a definite sound that I enjoy.
That reminds me a lot of Depeche Mode. Not bad.

Ever heard Penderecki's Stabat Mater? Man, that's a really moving piece.

I have not. I will endeavor to address this deficiency immediately.:laugh:

Fauré has a really nice Requiem if you're interested!

I have not. I will endeavor to address this deficiency immediately.:laugh:

Fauré has a really nice Requiem if you're interested!

Better than Rutter's? I love Rutter...

P.S. I saw that you're into visual arts too... Any photography/photographers?

Aphex Twin is great, but there's nothing like Boards of Canada out there in my eyes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Better than Rutter's? I love Rutter...

P.S. I saw that you're into visual arts too... Any photography/photographers?

Only with gels in the lab!:laugh: I am terribly unskilled with cameras, but I do appreciate good photography.:thumbup:

I'll have to find Rutter's requiem now, too.:laugh:

..I think I like this thread a lot better than the last three. :laugh:

Edit: Ok, I got a chance to listen to Rutter's requiem. I find him a bit modern, so our tastes may differ, but I like Fauré's a bit better for scale, breadth of instrumentation, and overall emotional content. That being said, the smaller scale in Rutter's composition really brings out those nicely crafted vocal harmonies. Amusingly, both recordings are by the City of London Sinfonia, giving a rare-ish chance for direct comparison.

Last edited:
there's.. uh..this band.. uh.. i think they're called radiohead? ..sometimes i listen to them :D

A couple years ago, some music magazine in England gave a copy of Radiohead's promo album to a set of critics and asked them to review it. If I remember right, most of them hated it. :laugh:

whatever happened to the "what band do other premeds suck for not knowing about" thread? I always loved that title.

Only with gels in the lab!:laugh: I am terribly unskilled with cameras, but I do appreciate good photography.:thumbup:

I'll have to find Rutter's requiem now, too.:laugh:

..I think I like this thread a lot better than the last three. :laugh:

Edit: Ok, I got a chance to listen to Rutter's requiem. I find him a bit modern, so our tastes may differ, but I like Fauré's a bit better for scale, breadth of instrumentation, and overall emotional content. That being said, the smaller scale in Rutter's composition really brings out those nicely crafted vocal harmonies. Amusingly, both recordings are by the City of London Sinfonia, giving a rare-ish chance for direct comparison.

Well, I was hoping you were a fellow photographer, hahaha... I love the visual arts, but I'm basically versed only in photography. I love medium format photgraphy (in which I try to do most of my work), but I can stand any film types. Anyway.

Hmm... That's actually pretty amazing that they're recorded by the same group. Do you know if they were recorded at approximately the same time? But yeah, Rutter's Requiem is really nice with respect to the vocal portions (I'm a vocal "musician," if you can call me that, haha, which is why I really like it). Rutter, in general, has some great text to his music, in general. I definitely have to check out Fauré's though...

Well, I was hoping you were a fellow photographer, hahaha... I love the visual arts, but I'm basically versed only in photography. I love medium format photgraphy (in which I try to do most of my work), but I can stand any film types. Anyway.

Hmm... That's actually pretty amazing that they're recorded by the same group. Do you know if they were recorded at approximately the same time? But yeah, Rutter's Requiem is really nice with respect to the vocal portions (I'm a vocal "musician," if you can call me that, haha, which is why I really like it). Rutter, in general, has some great text to his music, in general. I definitely have to check out Fauré's though...

Well, I'm not a photographer, but I do like to sing, so maybe we have that in common!:laugh: Amusingly, Rutter also conducted for a recording of Fauré's with the London Sinfonia, though I like the Choir of Westminster Cathedral w/David Hill conducting more than the Cambridge singers in this case. Rutter's recording of that piece was made in 1984 (and has much clearer audio, better enunciation), but I can't seem to summon forth a date on the Westminster recording.:(

Biggie, Breaking Benjamin, Immortal Technique, and MGS 1-4 soundtracks

i disdain hip hop, rap, rnb, and the like with a passion. :diebanana:

:D

i like
Barlow Girl, 3 doors down, Matchbox 20, Nickelback, Goo Goo Dolls, Fuel, Nirvana, Paramore, Lifehouse, Kelanie Gloeckler, Michelle Branch, Flight of the Conchords, Switchfoot, some Skid Row, Alter Bridge, Creed, and Hillsong stuff, Contemporary Christian, 90's rock etc etc etc... no rap crap please :D

:thumbup::thumbup:

i like
Barlow Girl, 3 doors down, Matchbox 20, Nickelback, Goo Goo Dolls, Fuel, Nirvana, Paramore, Lifehouse, Kelanie Gloeckler, Michelle Branch, Flight of the Conchords, Switchfoot, some Skid Row, Alter Bridge, Creed, and Hillsong stuff, Contemporary Christian, 90's rock etc etc etc... no rap crap please :D

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: Nickelback? Creed? Seriously?

:D

i like

How about Sara Groves?

the killers
yellowcard
one republic
audioslave

i dont usually listen to music while studying unless it's relatively loud around me, otherwise its all techno/house: tiesto, atb, oakenfold, david guetta, everything off of Ministry of Sound

..i doubt anyone has my taste

Guys and gals, I have breaking news! Copeland may or may not be releasing an album October 14, 2008.

Why am I not surprised....
Maybe because the vast majority of it is complete and utter crap? Well, the vast majority of mainstream stuff, anyway. I could produce a Lil Wayne song in literally about 15 seconds, and I'd do well to turn on the mixing board. Play 3 notes in 4/4 time, loop, and voila! Platinum album! Terrible. Seriously, the garbage that gets foisted on people as the "next big thing" is really appalling. Try some Blackalicious, Deltron 3030, Talib Kweli, or even Outkast on for size.

Maybe because the vast majority of it is complete and utter crap? Well, the vast majority of mainstream stuff, anyway. I could produce a Lil Wayne song in literally about 15 seconds, and I'd do well to turn on the mixing board. Play 3 notes in 4/4 time, loop, and voila! Platinum album! Terrible. Seriously, the garbage that gets foisted on people as the "next big thing" is really appalling. Try some Blackalicious, Deltron 3030, Talib Kweli, or even Outkast on for size.

Yeah I very rarely listen to any rap music anymore. But it gets a bad rap alot of the time due to the mainstream stuff. Imagine if people thought all singers sounded like Ashlee Simpson, and thought all bands sounded like the Jonas Brothers.

I stopped giving a crap about Metallica after Load: a phenomenal album, in my opinion. Oh, I guess if you count S&M, I gave up after that.

I listen to heavy death metal that inspires me to think of Satan and the Holy Warriors of Hell on Earth 2000.

Lars, why must you torment me so? They could release a blank disc and still sound better than St. Anger.

AC/DC might be alright though...

I stopped giving a crap about Metallica after Load: a phenomenal album, in my opinion. Oh, I guess if you count S&M, I gave up after that.

Yeah, St. Anger was a complete letdown. I'm still holding out hope for Death Magnetic, but I'll reserve judgment until after I've heard it in its entirety.

What I'm really excited about are the related tours. I skipped out on the St. Anger tour because the album sucked balls, but then I heard that they played more stuff from Master of Puppets than they did St. Anger. AC/DC is an automatic tour attendance for me though.

Yeah but to disdain a whole genre because you're too ignant to dig into the good stuff is...ignant! (I hate trash like lil wayne and 50 too though)

Talib's aight, but you're missing some key names like Lupe, Common, and last but not least IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE...that's where it's at.

And of course you can always listen to the early 90's stuff...biggie MSG freestyle anyone?