What kind of profession is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackberryman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So recently I have developed an interest in wanting to create my own Bodybuilding supplement as I love working out and love entrepreneurship. Something i have an interest in since childhood. What kind of profession would allow me to create my own supplement one day?

I am currently Majoring in BioChemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious as to why you would think this is an appropriate forum to ask that.

victor-conte-steroids.jpg

Also, FYI, one of the pre-reqs for this profession is a prison sentence.

Find a different place to ask this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So recently I have developed an interest in wanting to create my own Bodybuilding supplement as I love working out and love entrepreneurship. Something i have an interest in since childhood. What kind of profession would allow me to create my own supplement one day?

I am currently Majoring in BioChemistry.

There are a lot of paths here.

If you want to be involved in the engineering of a food supplement you would be looking at a major in either food science or food chemistry. A traditional chemitry degree with the right internship can also break you into the field. These are the people who deal with the science behind creating edible foods and suplements that can survive a mass manufacturing process, packaging, shiping, and storage while stil retaining a flavor. This is also closely tied to the perfume industry. This is clearly the path you would go for if you wanted to design supplements for a large company, which honestly isn't a bad career except for the fact that it's largely based in New Jersy. There are very few times that Chemists get to create things that are beautiful, rather than merely useful.

Then, of course, there are the degrees that could help educate you on the science behind supplements (nutrition, medicine, biochem) or the science and art of business (marketing, business, accounting, microeconomics). It actually sounds like what you want to do is more about creating a business than creating a product.

Ultimately, though, when you're asking how to start a home business there's no clear model or training plan. You want to innovate and create, no one teaches you how to do that, at least, not in the way you teach someone medicine ('do this exactly how I do it'). If all you want to do is market a variation on the traditional protein bar you don't actually need anything except a business plan and the support of some venture capital. I had a friend start a couple of companies that way long before he graduated college. The design and packaging of your product is something that you hire (or partner with) food scientists for, or you can just start experiminting with what you bring home from the grocery store in your kitchen and see what tastes good (that's how Cliff bars started). Your real job is to convince the venture capitalists why your marketing/sales/production strategy is better than what already exists, and then to successfully put that plan into action. Heck, you don't even really need investors, you could start selling small amounts of home made products locally by subscription and then expand your business over time with the profits That doesn't actually require a degree.

I would recommend an accounting class, though. Anyone starting a business should know how to figure out exactly what is coming in and what is going out.

Last edited:
This would be called the marketing profession.

Quite simple really:

1) Package regular whey protein and regular flavoring into regular container.
2) Gather regular scientists/physicians that are willing to endorse your regular whey protein as irregularly groundbreaking.
3) Get on excel and make all sorts of charts showing how much muscle will be built by consuming your regular whey protein in opposition to your competitor's "regular, regular whey protein".
4) Give you regular whey protein an impressively irregular name that has nothing to go with whey - or any protein - or lifting... Examples: "Midnight Fury", "Atomic Rage", "Pure Demonic", "Hell Fire", "Armegeddon v2", "Whoop Ass in a Can".

5) Profit.

biochemistry/food science/nutrition science

Quite simple really:

2) Gather regular scientists/physicians that are willing to endorse your regular whey protein as irregularly groundbreaking.
3) Get on excel and make all sorts of charts showing how much muscle will be built by consuming your regular whey protein in opposition to your competitor's "regular, regular whey protein".
4) Give you regular whey protein an impressively irregular name that has nothing to go with whey - or any protein - or lifting... Examples: "Midnight Fury", "Atomic Rage", "Pure Demonic", "Hell Fire", "Armegeddon v2", "Whoop Ass in a Can".

5) Profit.

Someone's watched Bigger, Faster, Stronger

Someone's watched Bigger, Faster, Stronger

lol no, I haven't heard of it before... I just remember what everything was like back in HS when I was interested in supplements.

But after a quick google -- that show does looks interesting.

Do you recommend it?

lol no, I haven't heard of it before... I just remember what everything was like back in HS when I was interested in supplements.

But after a quick google -- that show does looks interesting.

Do you recommend it?

Yea it's a documentary produced by an independent guy about steroids and the supplement industry. It shows you how easy it is to get a prescription for HGH and how easy it is to create a supplement.

The guy created and marketed a new supplement within a week. Good movie.

Pharmaceuticals brah. So BioChem would make sense as a major.

PhD in broscience and you should be good to go...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just do not get involved with steroids and illegal drugs. If you truly want to go this route, I would go with a biochemistry degree. But, in addition, I would also strongly urge you to read the book "Game of Shadows" and look into BALCO and Victor Conte. If you eventually choose to develop something that's against the law, that is the route you'll end up taking.

Quite simple really:

5) Profit.

Pretty much how these companies are making money off of high school athletes and body builders

Also consider the bodybuilding market for women, as I hear it makes for a good business.

Vera-De-Milo-3.gif

I still can't believe he's dead

R.I.P brah

A friend of the guy you had the picture of posted this on his Facebook page after his death.

"R.I.P Zyzz… This is a warning for any of you boys coming to Thailand. Thailand is a country with it all.. girls, steroids, growth hormone, it's all here and it's all cheap. I spoke to him the other day and he looked like a kid in a candy shop," Mr Sharky said.

God bless, and RIP.

victor-conte-steroids.jpg

Also, FYI, one of the pre-reqs for this profession is a prison sentence.

Find a different place to ask this.

haha, I'm not sure many people will get this, but good post!

:laugh: Funny you posted him. He died a couple days ago in a Thailand sauna at 22 years old. Found unresponsive and unable to be resuscitated. Probably too much HGH and cocaine.

I think that was the joke...welcome to the internet.

Closing as this thread bears little relevance to medical school or the process of applying thereto. Please consider the Lounge for all of your socializing/incredibly off-topic needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.