What kind of shoes do you wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shireiqiang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what type of shoes do you wear on a typical day at the office or at the hospital? I am sure patients are looking at your feet, has anyone ever asked you about your own shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, what type of shoes do you wear on a typical day at the office or at the hospital? I am sure patients are looking at your feet, has anyone ever asked you about your own shoes?
I get asked about my shoes all of the time, since I'm preternaturally stylish. Ha ha.

I typically wear casual loafers or oxfords or something like that. I get new ones frequently, as the company buys them for me (tax write-off: specialty footwear).

I usually wear stiletto heels with fishnet stockings...

Only kidding. Similar to NatCh, I usually wear a pair of high quality loafers or oxfords. I don't mean to sound "snobbish", but I do wear high quality and expensive shoes. I believe it would be hypocritical for me to recommend that my patients wear quality shoes if I'm running around the office in cheap or low quality footwear.

Although I used to wear scubs everyday, my partners and I "surveyed" our patients and we actually found out that the patients really did prefer a more professional look. All the male doctors were a shirt and tie and lab coat (it's got to be clean). I usually wear a pair of khaki's or something similar.

On days when I have a lot of post op patients and I'll be changing dressings, casts, etc., I will wear scrubs and a pair of Asics running shoes or a pair of Merrell's.

However, I always have a pair of orthoses in my shoes. It's always good to show a patient that YOU are wearing the same thing that you've just recommended for them (if that's what you've recommended).

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew a podiatrist who wore completely worn out shoes with the seams coming apart. It was pretty embarrassing.

As superficial as it may be, people really do look down to see what's on our feet. Just like PADPM, I also spend some coin on footwear, although in Central Oregon "office casual" is about as dressy as people get. Anything more dressed up looks out of place, maybe even comes across pretentious in this "outdoor-casual" city. I'd look shabby on the east coast since there are different norms there. I think it's important to dress appropriately to one's locale and situation. Mountain Khakis and a custom embroidered scrub top is my typical attire.

I also wear my own orthotics.

I usually wear stiletto heels with fishnet stockings...

Only kidding. Similar to NatCh, I usually wear a pair of high quality loafers or oxfords. I don't mean to sound "snobbish", but I do wear high quality and expensive shoes. I believe it would be hypocritical for me to recommend that my patients wear quality shoes if I'm running around the office in cheap or low quality footwear.

Although I used to wear scubs everyday, my partners and I "surveyed" our patients and we actually found out that the patients really did prefer a more professional look. All the male doctors were a shirt and tie and lab coat (it's got to be clean). I usually wear a pair of khaki's or something similar.

On days when I have a lot of post op patients and I'll be changing dressings, casts, etc., I will wear scrubs and a pair of Asics running shoes or a pair of Merrell's.

However, I always have a pair of orthoses in my shoes. It's always good to show a patient that YOU are wearing the same thing that you've just recommended for them (if that's what you've recommended).

As an aside...my mom will not return to the office of a doc who doesn't have nice shoes...strange?!

As an aside...my mom will not return to the office of a doc who doesn't have nice shoes...strange?!

No, it's not strange. It just shows she's got some class and good taste (even though her son prefers Maserati's to Ferrari's).

No, it's not strange. It just shows she's got some class and good taste (even though her son prefers Maserati's to Ferrari's).

Maserati's are definitely better, no contest.

now to the shoe issue. While on office rotations with my attendings and during our kaiser clinic rotation I was asked constantly what kind of shoes I was wearing. In the beginning of residency I wore Merrills or running shoes. I use my orthotics in them, either superfeet or northwest labs graphite, but my feet would still hurt at the end of the day. I switched to Dansko's and my feet really do not hurt anymore. Dansko's are really good for standing still all day, I hate them for walking.

When patients ask me what I recommend I tell them (give them printed info) about certain brands that are good, but ultimately to get what is comfortable.

Krabmas, I admire your excellent training, but come on, "Maserati's are definitely better, no contest".

Clearly you know little about fine automobiles, and it is obvious you've never driven either one around a track. There really (seriously) is no comparison between a Maserati or a Ferrari. Ask any car collector.

That's why you can walk into a Maserati dealer and purchase one that's sitting on the showroom floor, but you have to wait about 3 years (if you're lucky) to get your hands on a Ferrari.

If someone ever offers you a Ferrari or Maserati, take the Ferrari, I guarantee you that it will be the right decision (and so will your accountant!).

I'm with PADPM on this one. Ferrari >> Maserati.

BTW, if you pop the hood of any current Maserati...you will have a Ferrari staring back at you :D

it is obvious you've never driven either one around a track.

Am I correct in assuming that this statement is from experience? :eek: You are one lucky man.:thumbup::thumbup:

Krabmas, I admire your excellent training, but come on, "Maserati's are definitely better, no contest".

Clearly you know little about fine automobiles, and it is obvious you've never driven either one around a track. There really (seriously) is no comparison between a Maserati or a Ferrari. Ask any car collector.

That's why you can walk into a Maserati dealer and purchase one that's sitting on the showroom floor, but you have to wait about 3 years (if you're lucky) to get your hands on a Ferrari.

If someone ever offers you a Ferrari or Maserati, take the Ferrari, I guarantee you that it will be the right decision (and so will your accountant!).

I am a girl who picks football teams by the color of their jerseys for a pool. I pick cars the same way. I like the way maserati's look better. I don't care how it drives or what is under the hood. Ferrari's are too common. I see them on the road way more often than Maserati's.

If I was a guy going thru a midlife crisis I would consider the ferrari.

Fortunately my training is not in car mechanics. I would certainly need to find a new profession.

If you're an APMA member, you get 50% of Asics :thumbup:
Just got the Asics Gel-3010's and I love them. Thanks APMA!
I wish I could comment in the car argument, but I have only been in a Maserati and am still a Ferrari virgin.

Last edited:
Krabmas,

I was only busting your, um, um nevermind. I'm confident that your training and skills will more than compensate for your lack of knowledge of fine Italian automobiles.:D

Paulywog,

I also wear/run in the Asics 3010's and they are the most comfortable running shoes I've worn in a long time. I have a relatively wide forefoot, and this style is built on a last with a wide forefoot and has a unique feature at the area of the first MTPJ and over the 5th toe. The material over the 5th toe is almost like Lycra and it expands to reduce irritation and the area at the medial aspect of the first MTPJ is soft and "carved out" with no seams to also prevent irritation in this area. It's very well thought out to prevent problems in these areas, where patients/runners often have problems.

jan,

I no longer have that beautiful red Italian car (in my opinion, Ferrari's should only be that color). It was hard to justify, with other priorities and expenses and a combined colllege tuition each year of 100 grand. Although the car is amazing, the maintenance costs really are ridiculous. I could buy a nice car for one of my kids for the yearly cost of maintenance. Just not practical or affordable. After all, I'm not a plastic surgeon!

I no longer have that beautiful red Italian car (in my opinion, Ferrari's should only be that color).

If you don't mind me asking, which model did you have?

I'm partial to the F430, the engine note is just pure music to my ears. :bow:

EDIT: Side note, this thread has quickly become my favorite on SDN! ;)

I would rather not get too personal for several reasons. First of all, not to be obnoxious and secondly to help maintain my anonymity. Discussing the specific year and model would almost be the same as posting my name and address to some people.

Once again, in addition to the tremendous expense of these machines, the real cost begins when you understand the maintenance costs involved. More than I imagined or I could "afford". Similar to an expensive yacht. The cost of the yacht is often incidental when considering the cost to keep that thing afloat and running....

It's very hard to justify the expense of exotic cars considering the cost of maintenance and the reality that the car is only going to be driven on select days and in select weather conditions. It's great for those with disposable income or those of amazing wealth, but I really don't fit into those categories.

At least in a Porsche, BMW, etc., you can really drive the car daily and park it at the mall.

But I would highly recommend you young guys/gals spend your money on more important items, and SAVE your money and make sure that you put money away for your kids and their education. It's very easy to get tempted to toss the cash away on ridiculous material goods or impress your friends or colleagues. In the long run it means nothing.

I'm fortunate and was in a position to get it out of my system. Now I've been there and done that, and the only one that I impressed was myself (and my kids). It was an immature thing to do, and I did it, and then I realized that it really wasn't THAT important and there really were other priorities.

Don't be impressed.

So, what I am taking away from this thread is that I should by the Asics Gel-3010 and not buy a Ferrari...dang it.

But can I still get the Asics in red?