What kind of Volunteering experience should I aim for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent8991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

In an attempt to boost my chances of getting into Dental School my second time around I definitely need to boost my volunteering hours and wanted to ask the following questions

1. How many hours should I aim to get onto my application
2. Does the volunteering have to be related to dentistry? Or can it be any kind of volunteering?

The first time I applied I barely had any volunteering hours, not because I dont enjoy giving back to the community but more so because most of my time as a student was dedicated to school work and research (400+ hours).

Before my research work took over my time, I volunteered as a tutor and did some work for Habitat for Humanity. If I were to pick these back up would they look good on my application.

Looking forward to any-feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

1. 100+ would be the best
2. doesn't have to be related.. just make it something you enjoy and can easily vocalize as to why you chose that experience

Reactions: 2 users
Idk if you're religious or anything, tbh it probably doesn't matter, but Elevation does a boat load of volunteering throughout NC so it might be worth it to check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. 100+ would be the best
2. doesn't have to be related.. just make it something you enjoy and can easily vocalize as to why you chose that experience
Is a 100+ for each experience? Or in total?

total.. same with shadowing

Religious ones are fine, Habitat for Humanity is good, any soup kitchen or feeding the homeless, cleaning parks anything that shows you care about others in your community.

Reactions: 1 user
Imo if this is your second time around I think you should make it dental related to show that you really want to get in. I didnt do any volunteering at all but worked as a DA and I got in

Reactions: 1 user
Imo if this is your second time around I think you should make it dental related to show that you really want to get in. I didnt do any volunteering at all but worked as a DA and I got in
It can be difficult to find dental related opportunities rn, especially volunteering, even NC Missions of Mercy won't be taking new volunteers until 2022 I'm pretty sure. I didn't do any dental related volunteering and got in my second time as well, it's all about getting some experience that looks good on the app.