Does volunteering experience need to be at an organization?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BodegaCat

Reaction score
Hello!

I have around 114 hours of volunteer work (e.g., tutoring, academic writing assistance, moving and cleaning, gardening), but only 51 are from a named organization with a certificate. The rest are personal effort in my current school's students community. Will it be a problem in my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I have around 114 hours of volunteer work (e.g., tutoring, academic writing assistance, moving and cleaning, gardening), but only 51 are from a named organization with a certificate. The rest are personal effort in my current school's students community. Will it be a problem in my application?
no

Nope you should be okay! Usually on the applications, you just list the activity, a brief description and the hours. No verification (I.e. certificate) required

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't need to, but the only dilemma would be providing a supervisor or contact organization (which most of us don't use to check, but one never knows). No other proof of verification is required.

It doesn't need to, but the only dilemma would be providing a supervisor or contact organization (which most of us don't use to check, but one never knows). No other proof of verification is required.

I was completing that section today and, yes, I ran into that problem unfortunately.

I was also a volunteer translator/transcriber for TED, but I didn't exactly have a supervisor there, so I wasn't able to fill in the supervisor info for this experience either. With that said, it's not a mandatory field.

Thanks!