What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DadAndPreDOinMO

advice here=always right
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
......or are you getting one at all? I am thinking about getting a tablet pc, but I haven't really researched or anything and was just curious as to what everyone else was doing. Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Im thinking of getting a sony vaio just because i like them.. but bf suggested maybe a gaming laptop like alien ware or asus or something so that if we are far apart video confrencing might work out better.

I already have a laptop but after seeing all the cool stuff that the tablets can do and thinking about how great and helpful that might be for school I am going to see if I can save up for one of those next August.

HD

Members don't see this ad :)
what is a tablet and how it it different from a regular laptop?

I'm actually wondering about this as well since some of the schools I may be attending recommend getting a laptop which can be used to download lecture notes/pwr pts and follow along during lecture (along with downloading video lectures). Some of the students say that they have these notes in the computer and take notes on the pwr points on the computer directly so that they can avoid having tons and tons of paper pwr points/notes. If this is how it is used, I'd think that a tablet may work well. I'm just wondering how small you can write on the tablet and still be legible. I'd prefer to write on paper or the tablet rather than typing.

Any insight into tablets?

I just got me a Mac... a lot of schools prefer you have either a XP or Vista operating system. This is in case there are compatibility issues with some programs, but I don't think there will be an issue with my Mac. What's important is that I have Microsoft Word and Powerpoint which is what I will need the most. The cool thing with Macs with Intel chip is that I can also install XP and switch between operating systems if I need to. Oh yea, I'm also getting a smartphone/PDA which I will eventually need for med school but might as well be prepared :thumbup:

I've researched some a little bit, but haven't actually gotten my hands on one yet. from what it looks like and I have heard here is a brief description:

Like regular laptop but the top screen part swivels around 360 degrees. It comes with a stylus pen so you can write on the screen. There are programs that you get to allow you to hand write over PDF's, PPT's, and other documents. I even saw a demo how you can write emails. The program will then convert your handwriting to typed notes if you tell it to. If your handwriting is really bad it will make a best guess, but you can use the spell-check/word check functions to fix it.

The thing that really appeals to me is the writing over PPT and PDF files. I am so not one who likes to read a lot on a computer screen, but if I would be printing out PDF's and PPT anyway, why not do it this way!

Just do a google search for "tablet pc's" and you'll get some cool info

HD

I just got me a Mac... a lot of schools prefer you have either a XP or Vista operating system. This is in case there are compatibility issues with some programs, but I don't think there will be an issue with my Mac. What's important is that I have Microsoft Word and Powerpoint which is what I will need the most. The cool thing with Macs with Intel chip is that I can also install XP and switch between operating systems if I need to. Oh yea, I'm also getting a smartphone/PDA which I will eventually need for med school but might as well be prepared :thumbup:

Are you going to be using Bootcamp to run Vista or XP?
If so, does it run/behave exactly as a PC would? Can you basically eliminate any fear that there'd be ANY compatibility issues?

I've researched some a little bit, but haven't actually gotten my hands on one yet. from what it looks like and I have heard here is a brief description:

Like regular laptop but the top screen part swivels around 360 degrees. It comes with a stylus pen so you can write on the screen. There are programs that you get to allow you to hand write over PDF's, PPT's, and other documents. I even saw a demo how you can write emails. The program will then convert your handwriting to typed notes if you tell it to. If your handwriting is really bad it will make a best guess, but you can use the spell-check/word check functions to fix it.

The thing that really appeals to me is the writing over PPT and PDF files. I am so not one who likes to read a lot on a computer screen, but if I would be printing out PDF's and PPT anyway, why not do it this way!

Just do a google search for "tablet pc's" and you'll get some cool info

HD

hey that is really neat!! i might look into that.. thanks for the info!

I don't know anything about tablets, but have seen some students using them when I visited various schools. Personally, they look too crazy and complicated for me. And I like the idea of being able to type notes... my handwriting can be a little illegible if I'm writing in a hurry.

I'm thinking about getting a Macbook (with Microsoft Office) and giving one of those a try. I've only heard good things about them, and I want something reliable that will last (and something I can't crash or infect with a virus). I emailed the IT guys at KCOM and am waiting for them to get back to me as to whether or not that's a good idea.

I am thinking macbook as well. I am also considering buying their 23 inch monitor to leave in my apartment so I can hook it up to the macbook when not in class.

The cool thing with Macs with Intel chip is that I can also install XP and switch between operating systems if I need to.

I didnt know that was possible. Can you also switch to Vista?

I don't know anything about tablets, but have seen some students using them when I visited various schools. Personally, they look too crazy and complicated for me. And I like the idea of being able to type notes... my handwriting can be a little illegible if I'm writing in a hurry.

I'm kind of the same way. I too saw many people using them on my tour after the interview at KCOM. In fact, I asked a question about them b/c the SA said that you could get all notes on tablet before class and then just add your own notes to them in class, and she found a guy that uses a tablet always and he showed us a quick 'demo' of how he used it to study. It seemed very useful, but I'm not a super knowledgeable tech guy and don't know if it would work well for me or just slow me down. From what I've heard I think that if I got one this summer and played with it to get all the programs figured out it would work out for me. Also, I've heard nothing but good things about mac's, but I've never even touched one. Everyone that I've talked to that has a mac says get a mac and never go back. Anyone use a mac and feel differently (or the same as others I've talked with).
Researching for computers makes my head spin!!!:eek::eek::scared::scared::confused:

To all those considering a Macbook...its a good choice. A 13 inch screen is really all you need for class/taking notes. They are more expensive than some other craptacular laptops on the market, but you are paying for a product that will last longer and run better. I only use OSX, but I have XP loaded just in case via boot camp. If you dont want to have to reboot to switch to Windows, you can buy Parallels for about 60 bucks and then you can run Windows in OSX. Both of these options will give you no compatibility problems should you need to use Windows to run something. Ive been using Macs for 6 years now and have yet to run into many programs that won't run on my Mac. If you are on the fence, just go down to an Apple Store, talk to someone there and they can point you in the right direction. If you have any other questions I can help with, feel free to ask.
FYI-Come January there is a high possibility of a new aluminum Macbook coming out that will be significantly slimmer and lighter than current versions, so don't buy anything just yet. Apple also does Back to School promo's where you get a free ipod with the purchase of a computer from june-sept.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Come January there is a high possibility of a new aluminum Macbook coming out that will be significantly slimmer and lighter than current versions, so don't buy anything just yet. Apple also does Back to School promo's where you get a free ipod with the purchase of a computer from june-sept.

Precisely what I am waiting for.

16osb.jpg

For those who are thinking about a tablet, I can't recommend them more...they are freaking awesome!!! We are required to have them at DCOM and I was a little hesitant at first about them. I feared they would have the same delay the signature pads have at Target, Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc. which makes my signature look like absolute crap. But I was SOOO happy to find that the tablets have no delay at all, it is just like writing with pen and paper. There are plenty of pen and color options (including a highlighter), so writing directly on the powerpoint slides is easy. Also, you can use Microsoft OneNote and use it to organize your "Electronic Notebook." Many students at DCOM use this program b/c you can import the powerpoint slides (and PDF or other docs) directly into your "notebook" and take notes on the slides that way. I do that for some profs, but not for all b/c I prefer to write on the slides in powerpoint. I love having to only bring my tablet to lectures rather than loads of paper and notebooks, etc. They are VERY EASY to use and you get used to writing on it very quickly. You don't have to be a member of the geek squad to use a tablet...thank God. If you can write on a piece of paper, then you can use a tablet.

Again, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend getting a tablet.

We use a Gateway M-285 (it looks like it is the C-140 now) at DCOM and I have been very pleased with it. Long battery life too.

Here is a link http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529597319.php

Ok, everyone. I will try to help everyone out here the best I can. I am a semi-computer geek (i.e., I built my own), but I will try and help with the laptop conundrum we have here.

Tablet PC
What is a this "Tablet PC" everyone is talking about? Very simple. Wikipedia states that a "Tablet PC is a notebook or slate-shaped mobile computer popularized by Microsoft. Its touchscreen or graphics tablet/screen hybrid technology allows the user to operate the computer with a stylus or digital pen, or a fingertip, instead of a keyboard or a mouse. The form factor offers a more mobile way to interact with a computer. Tablet PCs are often used where normal notebooks are impractical or unwieldy, or do not provide the needed functionality." In other words, it is a very large Palm Pilot. The use of a Tablet PC (TPC) offers a great deal of functionality in the way of note taking. Students using this program can scribble down notes in a sort of free-hand fashion. The benefit to this as opposed to typing is simple: no <DELETE> key. Generally, while handwriting, people do not misspell or have the time to correct their errors. While typing, however, it is commonplace to correct grammar/spelling errors on the spot, especially when there is the red/green squiggles beneath them. The downside: their design. Although novel, many TPCs are small in order to be practical. They generally have acceptable specs in terms of processor speed, disc space, and memory, but higher end models can cost upwards of $3000, or more. If you are looking to purchase a TPC, I suggest looking at sites such as www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com. They generally have great prices for many top of the line computer parts and accessories. For example, I found this nice TPC at NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220243.

Laptop (Non-Mac)
Admittedly, this is where the vast majority of computer owners end up. The problem arises when they try to purchase the wrong type of laptop (and yes, there is a wrong type). Laptops can be broken down into several categories which I will attempt to make up on the spot: media, gaming, word-processing, leisure, and business. I am sure you could add/subtract/divide (multiply?) this list more, but we'll just go with that.

If you are looking for anything under the classification of "Media" I would go with a Macintosh laptop. Although I loathe for reasons which I will state later, they have amazing sets of software that provide some of the best video/photo editing mechanisms on the market. You would have to fork out several thousands of dollars in order to beat the Mac, and that is not really necessary.

Gaming laptops, in my opinion, are what many people SHOULD use, but do not use. Gaming laptops are designed with high-processing power, high memory, and great resolution. They are designed to play some of the newest, most spec-demanding games on the market. Why should you invest in this? A gaming machine will allow for faster load times and better resolution when viewing pictures (especially those ones put up in lecture for Anatomy or OMM). BE CAREFUL! If you do not know what you are doing or what specs to look for in a gaming laptop, I do not advise purchasing one. Price does not always reflect the quality of the machine for YOUR specific needs. If you try this route, remember to dumb down the quality of your video and sound cards (if your model has that ability) so that you are not stuck with something like a NVidia Mobility 8600 GT that you will NEVER need.

A word-processing laptop can be anything and everything you will ever need in medical school. It will provide you with all of the necessary programs (PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, etc...) and not hurt your pocketbook much at all. In fact, I would guess that you could get it for approximately $199 if you shop around. You could even invest an additional $80 for an external hard drive to store all of your files you get from lecture, thus never cluttering your main hard drive and always having free space.

The leisure laptop is the one most people have in their possession now. This laptop can do all of the functions of all of the other laptops, just not that well. Like the saying goes: a jack of all trades, but a master of none. It will out-preform many of the other laptops in select areas, and will not generally hurt your pocket-book at all. Make sure when you are customizing this (if you go to a site like www.dell.com) that you only put in components that you need. Upgrading the video card may be unnecessary, but adding a wireless adapter may be required.

The business laptop, for all intents and purposes, is just another leisure laptop that is more geared towards processing. This can process a lot faster, store more information, but lacks (sometimes drastically) in the graphics department. It does cost more, and usually runs Vista Business, which does NOT have any games on it (that's right.. no Minesweeper). Just make sure you look at all of its components and gauge it against the leisure machine to ensure the best fit for you.

Laptop (Mac)
I despise the Apple company. I do not like iPods or the Mac and I never will. Most of it has to do with its "upgrade-ability" and overall usage. While I mentioned that it does have fantastic video and photo editing capabilities, it can hardly do any of the other necessary functions compared to regular PC-oriented machines. Their performance is EXTREMELY lacking per dollar. In other words, in order to get a Mac that can process normal functions and programs at the same or better speed than its PC-based counterpart, you would have to shell out a lot more money. Not only that, but Macs are hardly upgradeable, if at all. With a laptop, there will almost always be a few key upgrades that you can make as your laptop ages of the four years of school in order to keep it up to speed before you sell it for a newer model, but the Mac will always be the same. If there is an upgrade, I have generally found it to be either impossible to install alone or cost all of your fingers and half of your toes. It is all up to you, however. If you feel that that Mac is best for you, then by all means, use it.

Processor Type
A quick note about processors. When purchasing a laptop, do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT (and this is not a form of repeating double-negatives, instead a major emphasis) get a Celeron processor from Intel. While Intel is definitely starting to out-perform AMD, especially on the Mobile-level, the Celeron can be equated to Celery: stringy and tasteless. If it costs you an additional $100, $200, or even $1000, make sure that you do NOT get a Celeron. I do not know if they are being made anymore, I would just tell you to not get it. It is a terrible PoS processor that you will regret getting instantly.

I hope that I helped out, even just a little. I wasted about 37 minutes typing this lengthy note, so I am going to go rest my fingers and play some Super Mario Galaxy (yes, I own a Wii, wanna fight about it?). If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know. Also, remember that this is YOUR laptop, not mine, nor anyone else's. Ultimately, you should purchase the machine that you feel most comfortable with and most compatible with. Make sure that you spend a couple of weeks (and I mean 1 or 2 solid weeks) understanding how your particular laptop works, especially if it is a model you've never used before. Make sure you know how to connect to the internet, both hard-wired and wireless.

Have a great day!
<3

Well, obviously you dont like Macs. But I absolutely love mine. And will get another one. Mine is about seven years old right now, and I have no problems with it. Is it as fast as the new dual core intel machines? Of course not. But I can count on one hand the number of times it has crashed on me in the past few years, or needed a reboot because it froze up. And viruses? Nope. Popups? Nope. Did I have to install anything to achieve this? Nope. And I have Microsoft office for mac so I have word, powerpoint, excel, etc. Plus I can do a lot of neat stuff with my pictures and videos that I have never been able to easily do on a PC. It just works better, IMHO.

All of my business's PC's have to have insane Processors and even more insane Ram for my photography Business (dual quad-core processors on my desktop, 8gigs of ram, etc) but my current Laptop(s) are staying with my Business when i head to MedSchool. With that said, i am thinking about getting a Tablet PC, so i'll have to look into them~~~

Good guide above =)

I'm planning to get a laptop, but I'm waiting as long as possible (or until I know what school I'll be attending) before I buy anything. What I buy depends on what the school requires, but I can tell you for sure I will not be getting a Mac, unless it is strictly required by the school. I don't hate them, but I prefer PCs. I want to get a small computer, too. My current POS about-to-die laptop is too big/heavy.

It's pritty cool. I haven't tried out all of the features yet. I think it would be really good if you like writing notes on top of powerpoint. Mine is a Hp Pavilion tx1320us (I think that's right) and there was a good deal on it on friday. I have to practice writing on it though because I don't press hard enough sometimes. I might be able to adjust the sensitivity I have a lot of stuff to play around with.

A Tablet PC is included in first year student fees at TCOM. I hope to attend there and thus hope to use a tablet PC:)

Well, obviously you dont like Macs. But I absolutely love mine. And will get another one. Mine is about seven years old right now, and I have no problems with it. Is it as fast as the new dual core intel machines? Of course not. But I can count on one hand the number of times it has crashed on me in the past few years, or needed a reboot because it froze up. And viruses? Nope. Popups? Nope. Did I have to install anything to achieve this? Nope. And I have Microsoft office for mac so I have word, powerpoint, excel, etc. Plus I can do a lot of neat stuff with my pictures and videos that I have never been able to easily do on a PC. It just works better, IMHO.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about Macs. The reason non-Mac users are prone to the many viruses, pop-ups, and crashes is less the programming and more the user itself. Mac laptops and computers are "better" programmed to be nearly perfect in terms of pop-ups and virus protection. Well, viruses mostly because there just aren't too many Mac viruses out there. However, I feel more strongly that PC users are ill-informed about how to properly care for their system. How do you prevent against viruses on a PC? A very good and up-to-date Symantec or McAfee virus protection software will protect your computer just fine. Make sure that you pay the monthly/yearly fee and your computer will do well. Adding in a program like AdAware or the like can remove constant pop-ups. Purchasing a cheap $20-$40 pop-up blocking program isn't a must, but can help a lot. As for crashes, they are easily avoidable. A crash (or blue screen of death) is simply when your memory in your computer is too full and must physically dump everything in order to function... kind of like a coma. In order to prevent this, make sure you TURN OFF your laptop at the end of the day before you leave school. This will reset the memory and prevent the blue screen from appearing. Also, making sure you defrag your hard drive every month or so will help with the latency and boot up problems you could be experiencing. Another idea for boot up problems would be to do this: Start -> Run -> msconfig. Once there, go to the "Start up" tab and uncheck the programs which do not necessarily need to be booted up when the computer starts. This will also improve performance, as you won't have as many programs running. Remember to clear your cookies, recycle bin, and history once in a while, as that will also help. Lastly, remember to delete unused programs every so often. It will help.

/sigh

Basically, although a Mac will be a bit more "user friendly," a competent and proactive PC-based user can experience all of the joys of a Mac without the hassle of a sub-par system. Again I say that if you are happy with a Mac, then by all means use it. I will not use a Mac and I will tell everyone my feelings towards them. Thank you for your input ^.^

I guess that was a bit random and is probably slightly hard to follow, but class is beckoning, and it is 25 minutes across campus.

Good luck! <3

A Tablet PC is included in first year student fees at TCOM. I hope to attend there and thus hope to use a tablet PC:)
My brother got a tablet for undergrad a couple years ago. Although he liked it, he said that it used the battery pretty quickly and was quite heavy in comparison to regular laptops. Also, if you write irregularly (i.e. you don't form your letters how they were taught), sometimes the computer has trouble picking up what you're saying. My brother is weird and starts several letters from the bottom instead of the top, so he had trouble with that. I considered getting a tablet but they're usually much more expensive, and I don't really see the reason to pay so much to write on the computer when I am content to use paper.

This is a poorly-veiled "which laptop can store the most pornography" thread.

Carry on.

A doctor I shadowed had a tablet pc with wireless network in his office. His practice was paperless, so if I get in I'll be getting a tablet just to help with my future practice.

Definitely getting a tablet. I was told by a couple of students at KCOM that they wish they had gotten tablets. You can download the notes(pdf or powerpoint) before class and write on them during lecture. You can also sync the notes with the audio recording of the lecture. You can also do a search through your notes using microsoft one note which is a tablet program.

I say get a tablet, the benefits of these are evident at schools such as DCOM. Paperless is the way to go.

And don't forget the anatomy programs you can get for your laptop and have the ability to write over them and keep notes.:thumbup:

Its all fun and games until your computer crashes and you lose all your notes.

Its all fun and games until your computer crashes and you lose all your notes.

That's why I will back up everything to an external drive or disk of some sort.:oops: Oh come on JPC not you. Don't tell me you are a technophobe:confused:.

Im not a technophobe at all, but I am paranoid of losing my material... so I always email my files to myself...

Im all about the gadgets and gizmos!

I have only ever owned Mac's. I have an iBook now, but had previously/still use the first model PowerBook. I purchased the PowerBook before wireless cards were in all laptops--but I wanted a laptop and wanted to use my student discount, hence the early buy. By my second year in an MPH program I knew that I needed wireless and it turns out that it was better for me to get an iBook for school stuff and keep the PowerBook around for other stuff. My sister ended up using the PowerBook for school too.

I am saddened that I will "most likely" have to purchase a PC as I have nothing but love for Macs--although, the tablet excites me greatly!

One thing----DO NOT BUY ANY COMPUTER NOW---unless you really really need it now. Seriously, wait until the summer to wait/look for upgrades and also if you are not a student, then wait for to get a student discount. I am sure that all schools have a way you can buy one with a big discount for being a student!

Stupid Question: So with the tablet is it your actual handwriting that comes up or is it converted to text? Can you do both?

Stupid Question: So with the tablet is it your actual handwriting that comes up or is it converted to text? Can you do both?

Depending on your software, both. There are many programs that the Tablet PC uses that is kind of like a Palm Pilot, if you will. If you have used the Palm before, then you will know what I mean. Basically, this program will require that you write each letter in a certain fashion in order to elicit a desired letter.

http://www.computerhope.com/help/pp1.gif

That link is for the Palm Pilot, but the program for the tablet is sort of similar. The other option (Stickynotes, I believe) you can simply write directly onto the notes themselves. This would be equivalent to having it printed out on a sheet of paper and simply writing on top of it. The downside to writing on paper is that you can hardly see what you are looking at, especially on a printed sheet. Also, switching from highlighter to pen to maker to eraser can be really difficult. With the Tablet PC, it is as simple as quickly tapping a button on the side of the screen to adjust the type of writing utensil you are using. The only downside I see to a TPC (besides what I already mentioned) would be if you have big handwriting. You could quickly cover your page and lose anything you have underneath. Who knows, though.

^.^ I like this thread. Computers make me happy!

<3

PS.. /agree with Texas... 'nuff said

I'm a future TCOMer so Im getting whatever computer they require,
unfortunately it will be a PC because I love Macs!

You can do both, although I don't know of anyone who uses the written-to-text option. You can put your own handwriting on the Powerpoint slides, as well as if you use OneNote. Like I said, if you can write on a piece of paper, then you can use a tablet.

Also, the tablet comes with a tutorial that takes about 30 minutes to go thru. It is super easy and I am no computer-techno-savvy guy either.

Also, you never have to worry about losing files if you backup your files. One can always lose their paper notebooks too, so no worries.

The written to text option is something I am interested in. Is that hard to use?

I have a Lenovo tablet, and I :love: it. I was the only one in my class with a tablet when I started last year... four people who have had to replace their dying laptops got tablets because they loved mine.

Oh - and the DCOM tablets? Dr. Cross sent no fewer than 4 people to tell me he wanted to look at my tablet before he went to DCOM. He was a big proponent of the tablets once he saw what I was doing with mine. The writing on ppt files is pretty sweet. Personally, I hate OneNote - I prefer Agilix GoBinder. You can "print" pdf files to GoBinder and then write on them just like paper copies. The touch on the Lenovo is much lighter than the HP, and the lag time for writing, if any, isn't noticable. Personally I don't use the handwriting recognition. I prefer my own writing.

That all being said, if mac had made a tablet I'd have taken a serious look at it - even at $3K.

Is your Lenovo widescreen? If not does that bother you?

The written to text option is something I am interested in. Is that hard to use?

I think it would be when trying to write a lot quickly. I've seen people use it when IM'ing others or writing short notes, but 99% of the time, people just use their own handwriting. I would recommend using the keyboard and typing if you want text. The computers do have the capability to learn your handwriting, but I have not used it so I can't say how good it is. As for writing notes though, you are much better off just using your handwriting, IMO.

I have a Lenovo tablet, and I :love: it. I was the only one in my class with a tablet when I started last year... four people who have had to replace their dying laptops got tablets because they loved mine.

Oh - and the DCOM tablets? Dr. Cross sent no fewer than 4 people to tell me he wanted to look at my tablet before he went to DCOM. He was a big proponent of the tablets once he saw what I was doing with mine. The writing on ppt files is pretty sweet. Personally, I hate OneNote - I prefer Agilix GoBinder. You can "print" pdf files to GoBinder and then write on them just like paper copies. The touch on the Lenovo is much lighter than the HP, and the lag time for writing, if any, isn't noticable. Personally I don't use the handwriting recognition. I prefer my own writing.

That all being said, if mac had made a tablet I'd have taken a serious look at it - even at $3K.

You can do the same thing with the PDF files in OneNote. I do that for one of the profs at DCOM. I import, or print, the file into OneNote and write on it just like you describe. Many students I know do the same thing for all of their powerpoints in OneNote. I don't know how the Gateway model is compared with the other models, but the pen settings can be calibrated for pressure and there is no lag. My only - very minor - complaint about the Gateway is that it is pretty heavy if you hold it for awhile. But for the number of times I will actually be holding it that long, which is very few, it is hardly a complaint worth worrying about.

With the tablets, I can honestly say that taking notes has never been so easy. I have already told my parents this is something my brother needs to get when he starts college in a couple years.

I currently don't have a tablet (though that may be my next laptop purchase when the time comes...) but I do use OneNote and you can print pdf documents (or anything for that matter) into OneNote and then just write on them. And with the latest OneNote version it lets you search text in images that you import or print into it. So if I print a ppt presentation into it, I have all the slides as background images over which I can write or highlight or take notes one, but I can still search the text in the slides.

Other nice thing is if you have a mic you can just hit record and as you take notes it links whatever notes you just made with that specific part of the audio recording. So if you go back and click on some note you made half way through a lecture it'll play back that specific part of the recording.

And lots of tagging features. I'm sure it's not the only program that does all this, but if you already have it installed with office you might want to give it a try.

Seriously people, some of my friends in different programs have told me that their schools offer students discounts on laptops/computers. You guys might want to check with the book store on campus or something like that. I know UCI med students got great discounts on Dell notebooks through UCI. Check it out, might save a few dollars, and with that money buy me a cold six pack, J/K. Good luck to all.

Yeah, that "record" feature of onenote just didn't work that well when I tried it. Perhaps I just didn't give it enough of a try, but I just didn't care for onenote. I do admit I have the office 2003 version -- the 2007 version (which is in a case on my desk) documents don't transfer to the PDA properly. Perhaps the 2007 version is better for onenote?

And no, my Lenovo isn't widescreen. It's about the size of a piece of paper. Just about right. And the Lenovo is about 4 pounds. Battery life is really decent.

Yeah, that "record" feature of onenote just didn't work that well when I tried it. Perhaps I just didn't give it enough of a try, but I just didn't care for onenote. I do admit I have the office 2003 version -- the 2007 version (which is in a case on my desk) documents don't transfer to the PDA properly. Perhaps the 2007 version is better for onenote?

And no, my Lenovo isn't widescreen. It's about the size of a piece of paper. Just about right. And the Lenovo is about 4 pounds. Battery life is really decent.

I don't consider myself a "power-user" of it, but I think the '07 version of OneNote is much better.

To be honest I think the '03 version was kind of rushed out. I remember first playing with it in undergrad when it came out. At some on campus event they were handing out the discs for free. It was neat but didn't have some of the features in the '07 version, such as the printer driver and search-able text in images and supposedly in the audio (I haven't tried that yet). You can import powerpoints into the '03 version, but it required a 3rd party standalone program someone wrote (something like ppt2one).

I don't really use the PDA transfering features as I never did find it helpful to take notes on my PDA (a little iPaq).

The killer feature for me though are the custom defined "flags". I have several flag categories.... "Questions", "Boards", "Main Topic", etc... so as I'm going through a powerpoint and I come across a question I want to ask a prof. later I put a "question flag" on it. And then later I go to a summary page and it lists all my question flags I've put anywhere, and I can click on the one I want and it takes me to that part of the presentation....basically just electronic bookmarks.

Again, I'm sure other programs do the same thing, I just haven't looked.

I have a Palm and an iPaq. I don't use them for notes, but I DO use them a LOT for studying ppts on the go (I have a family so this is an easy way for me to squeeze in time when we're shopping, waiting for kids to get done in the bathroom, out for dinner, standing in line, etc.). So the file transfer to the pda is really key. And according to the pda and MS sites, there is no word on when the bridge software will be complete.

Bummer. Looks like OneNote 2007 is worth a good look... but I just can't face sacrificing either the study time or the family time.

So am I hearing that the medical school students have (or wish they had) a Tablet PC and they definitely recommend it? If that seems to be the consensus, then sign me up for one. I do think it sucks that the screen on these machines are slightly bigger than a sheet of paper (or smaller, in fact), but I suppose that the "quality of quantity" adage never gets old.

Thank you, everyone, who put in their advice on this situation!

My brother got a tablet for undergrad a couple years ago. Although he liked it, he said that it used the battery pretty quickly and was quite heavy in comparison to regular laptops. Also, if you write irregularly (i.e. you don't form your letters how they were taught), sometimes the computer has trouble picking up what you're saying. My brother is weird and starts several letters from the bottom instead of the top, so he had trouble with that. I considered getting a tablet but they're usually much more expensive, and I don't really see the reason to pay so much to write on the computer when I am content to use paper.
If I remember correctly, the large lecture halls had power and network hookups at each seat.

I do think it sucks that the screen on these machines are slightly bigger than a sheet of paper (or smaller, in fact), but I suppose that the "quality of quantity" adage never gets old.

Not all of them are so small. the gateway that someone posted above has a 14" screen. It is also much much cheaper than the toshiba, lenovo, and Asus brands.
Does anyone has any input as to why (just looking at the specs there is not much of a difference really) it is so much cheaper?

If I remember correctly, the large lecture halls had power and network hookups at each seat.
That may be the case at most schools. I hadn't thought about it, since a number of undergrad lecture halls at my university still don't have plugs available for every seat.

I think part of the reason Gateway is cheaper is it's heavier. My Lenovo is less than 4 pounds. You pay a premium for less weight.