What makes heme/onc so... ?respected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Iam trying to ask, whenever I see some threads about respected/intelectualy most difficult/broadest medical speacialities, everywhere I see heme/onc, what is so particulary great about this combination that makes it so, I dont think respected is the right word but lets go with that.
I hope you understands what Iam reffering to...

Members don't see this ad.

not really.

but maybe because there're more end of life discussions and carrying people through very difficult times in hem/onc compared to other specialties. And the fact that it's the most rapidly changing specialty with new drug approvals and truly novel therapies. I mean... when was the last time you heard about a breakthrough novel therapy in nephrology or ID?

What Iam trying to ask, whenever I see some threads about respected/intelectualy most difficult/broadest medical speacialities, everywhere I see heme/onc, what is so particulary great about this combination that makes it so, I dont think respected is the right word but lets go with that.

Shrug, I don't think anyone "respects" heme/onc any more or less than any other specialty.

Lots of smart/basic science people are drawn to it for the possibility of a bench/translational research career.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think we have to distinguish between public perception and perception among other physicians. Heme/onc may be perceived to be more "respected" among the public. The average person hears pediatrician, emergency doctor, cardiologist, or "brain surgeon" and thinks that's cool. However, public perception isn't and shouldn't be a reliable guide.

As almost all physicians know, there are good and bad physicians in all specialties. You could have a great pediatrician or neurosurgeon and a bad pediatrician or neurosurgeon. This depends on the individual physician's knowledge, experience, skills, etc. But the general public isn't usually aware of who's actually good or bad.

I don't necessarily think heme/onc is any more (or less) respected than many other specialties. It's all a team effort to take care of cancer and other patients anyway.

Shrug, I don't think anyone "respects" heme/onc any more or less than any other specialty.

Lots of smart/basic science people are drawn to it for the possibility of a bench/translational research career.
I would say cardiologists and oncologists get the "ooh and aahs" from the general public. The other IM subspecialties don't have the same panache. Does that mean anything? Prob not, but it is what it is.

I would say cardiologists and oncologists get the "ooh and aahs" from the general public. The other IM subspecialties don't have the same panache. Does that mean anything? Prob not, but it is what it is.

Hmm I don't know, whenever someone finds out Im a gastroenterologist they can't stop telling me about their bowel habits. They seem pretty excited about it.

I'd agree cardiology has some sex appeal. Onc, I just don't see it.

Hmm I don't know, whenever someone finds out Im a gastroenterologist they can't stop telling me about their bowel habits. They seem pretty excited about it.

I'd agree cardiology has some sex appeal. Onc, I just don't see it.
If medicine was a newspaper, cancer gets the front page all day every day. When's the national heart disease day? When's the last time people wore a ribbon for COPD? Do NFL players wear brown gear for colonoscopy awareness?

Maybe it's because I'm at a premier cancer institute, but from my experience, people care about cancer (and by extension oncologists) more than other diseases.

If medicine was a newspaper, cancer gets the front page all day every day. When's the national heart disease day? When's the last time people wore a ribbon for COPD? Do NFL players wear brown gear for colonoscopy awareness?

Maybe it's because I'm at a premier cancer institute, but from my experience, people care about cancer (and by extension oncologists) more than other diseases.

Shrug. Cancer is serious business, and unfortunately most people have been impacted by friends/family with malignancy.

You do realize that people wear ribbons for cancer because of boobs, right? At least I would.

Cancer just has a ridiculous amount of stigma compared to other equally devastating diseases. I think the fear of cancer and the idea that oncologists can "save" you from such a terrible disease has many people in awe.

Cancer just has a ridiculous amount of stigma compared to other equally devastating diseases. I think the fear of cancer and the idea that oncologists can "save" you from such a terrible disease has many people in awe.
yeah, can they save us?

are they? i dont notice much more respect for heme/oncs over other specialties. I would say out of all the IM specialties, cardiology has the most 'prestige' to the general public. probably cause they know that the heart is an important organ

I think within the medical field heme/onc seems to garner a lot of respect because of the vast amount of knowledge (knowing solids, liquids, clotting, anemias, and sometimes transplant) compared to knowing one organ system (heart, kidney). Also it seems to have the most amount of development with new agents and therapies constantly coming out, and even being advertised now on TV. Even older oncologists can't keep up with the new antibodies and targeted therapies constantly being approved.

And in the public I think it's because cancer is always in the news and everyone knows someone affected by it.

I think within the medical field heme/onc seems to garner a lot of respect because of the vast amount of knowledge (knowing solids, liquids, clotting, anemias, and sometimes transplant) compared to knowing one organ system (heart, kidney). Also it seems to have the most amount of development with new agents and therapies constantly coming out, and even being advertised now on TV. Even older oncologists can't keep up with the new antibodies and targeted therapies constantly being approved.

And in the public I think it's because cancer is always in the news and everyone knows someone affected by it.

That has not been my experience with academic oncology at all. First of all, most of them don't even wanted to be boarded in heme, let alone practice it. They also want to be super sub-specialized. I have never met this mythical master of all heme/onc practitioner you speak of.

You know who knows a lot of different organs? GI baby.