1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What makes you a nontraditional app?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DentalLonghorn2014, Aug 4, 2015.

1. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey yall,

What is considered a non traditional applicant?
    It it based on age?
    I applied in 2013 but didn't get in but will reapply in 2016 after my post bac. Ill be 25 if i start in fall 2017. Will I be considered a nontraditional?

2. XZeRO

7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    The way I see it...

Traditional student = Undergrad --> Professional school
    Non-traditional student =/= Undergrad --> Professional school

It is not necessarily based on age, although age may factor into it

BobbyBeavis likes this.
  3. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I see. That makes sense if you go by the definition of traditional.

4. predent3591

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    actually i watched a video on youtube with the admissions panel and I kinda agreed with a point Dr. Mejia made regarding the term "non-traditional" she mentions how they don't even view people as traditional vs non-traditional and in fact like don't like it when people lump themselves into one category like "non-traditional" just my 2 cents :)

and listen to her at 19:29 onwards

xkc9126x, MolarBear11 and alumdent like this.
  5. tooth knockn

tooth knockn Treat others how you want to be treated
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

NYU has so many seats, having diversity is not an issue....

45 -90 seats.... Do you really want 20-25 year olds only? As your class mates? And do you think the professor wants to be around that all day long? .... Is only having younger enrollees a benefit? ..... Most young adults at that age has never experienced a downfall or have a child...... Would this young individual really connect with the patient population?......

NYU will always be diverse.... Almost 400 seats, how could they be not? NYU is in a league of its own....

Other schools look more into the spectrum of individuals entering the class and think about the population as well.....

IMO

6. predent3591

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yeah i agree with you, I'm just saying i don't think people should assume they are "non-traditional" and label themselves into a category like that. each applicant is unique and probably falls into so many categories, not just one

7. kayden28

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I believe some schools define "non-traditional" as someone who has been out of school for an extended period of time (this can vary based on the school) or someone who doesn't follow with professional school right after undergrad (ie/ started working instead or took time off to travel or went into a different degree, etc.). Not sure how universal this definition is though. As others have pointed out though, being non-traditional isn't a disadvantage or negatively viewed. It's just a diversifying factor and I think it's just so schools can see what you've been up to if you didn't pursue professional school right away.. have you worked? been productive? explored your interests? traveled? Don't stress about whether you're considered non-trad or trad. All that matters is that you can show you've got strong/varied experiences. Good luck! :)

#7 kayden28, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  8. tooth knockn

tooth knockn Treat others how you want to be treated
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Yea... Non traditional is very vague when it comes to dental, for no reason....

Traditional is traditional - HS then College, then professional or doctoral education....

Non- traditional- is probably someone who is older and did not go the traditional route.... Or maybe it could be someone who went the traditional route but experienced a whole different road to get there...

Example: immigrant, studied a lot English second language, finished school, and etc...

Or someone who took some time off after HS, worked, had a family, and went back to school

Or
    Someone who studied something early in life but then later in life wanted to change profession ......

9. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the replies yall.
    So when I reapply, is there a section called "traditional or nontraditional"? I don't remember

10. willwash

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Would a political science/English/liberal arts type major automatically qualify as non-traditional?

11. alumdent

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just got on to SDN to post these videos for everyone, but you beat me to it haha.

12. predent3591

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    no theres not :)

13. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks friend!

predent3591 likes this.
  14. DentalLonghorn2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Nased on everyones answer, no. You are still getting a BS. Now, it should make you a bit more unique compared to the science majors. They will probably ask you why you picked that as your major in an interview.

15. .

#15 SXCoronado, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  16. xkc9126x

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for the video!! It was really helpful!

predent3591 likes this.