This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the647explorer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm now 23, finished a Bachelor of Arts in Communication degree, and kinda suddenly realize that I want to help people, like actually helping someone physically.
I never thought of entering the healthcare services even though my parents are in the industry (they are nurse / dental hygienist), probably because I never thought of my "dream job" or what I want to do in the future 5 years ago, and I'm not good at science nor maths. I have no interest in being a dental hygienist because of its very routine job, and somehow, I just don't feel like being a nurse too probably because I'm a person that really likes to bettering people's lives in a more broader extend.
So I'm like...okay, so what actually motives people to become a doctor and be that persistent in pursuing that?

Anyone could share their motivation stories? I'm just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Patient care (1) and diagnostic medicine (2). Without number 2, you are in RN/PT/OT realm.

I'm not good at science nor maths.

^you just dropped a nuke on your head bossman

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from a similar situation as you. Graduated with an art degree, not a notably strong science background. I have no family in healthcare except one uncle who is a dentist, so I never had that "always wanted to be a doctor since I was 2" mentality.

What motivated me was randomly landing a clinic job working at an animal hospital. Diagnostics for animals is like a jigsaw puzzle where all the pieces are the same color, lol. It was the most challenging job I've ever done in my life, and after working there almost 3 years I still was learning many new things every day. I ended up shadowing a cardiologist to see if I would like human medicine just as much, and that experience was life changing. (I got to see a heart bypass surgery, scrubbed in!!)

Anyway, those experiences are what motivated me. Everyone is different. For me, the rabbit hole that is science education combined with the challenges of diagnostics are the top motivators, followed by the reward of getting to serve others using what I am passionate about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Learning to write my own personal statement is what drove me to medicine.

But really, I think for most it's a combination of what the career has to offer and your own personal strengths and passions. There's several right answers, definitely some wrong ones but really everyone is taking their own path to get where they're going.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
See some stories here: What got you interested in medicine?

I didn't know why doctor, until I realized I wanted to change the healthcare system. I believe that I can best accomplish this as a doctor.

I don't always want to practice medicine, but I always want to be involved with the healthcare system. I know for some people this may sound silly, but this is a shoe I am happy to wear.

Last edited: