what role does greek play in med school admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If its Greek as in beer and togas, find some way to present it.

Or leave it out. There are some experiences that, although enjoyable, don't merit a med school application.

Members don't see this ad.

Does being greek play a typical role in med school admission? or it doesn't matter at all?

do med school admission officers like to see we are greek?

what about the leadership in greek organizations? does it look better if we are the top officers in greek org. or mayb the same as the leaderships in other orgs.

thanks!
I don't see why they would care...unless the person interviewing you is also greek then they might apply some of that same arrogance you have and accept you.

Wow it took me a minute to realize you meant sororities/frats when you mentioned Greek.

At first when I read the thread title I was like huh? Do you mean that you are of Greek descent and were you asking a diversity question? But then I realized what you meant.

A friend once told me when he consulted with adcom members at USF they said they werent too hot on the whole frat/sorority thing.

That said, I do know people who've gotten into USF and mentioned frats/sororities or were in frats/sororities. I think it all depends on how you describe it. If you are showing a constant level of scholarship and leadership and volunteerism through your frat regardless of what socials occur then they will consider it. If you make it sound like there isn't an ounce of volunteerism or other things besides hosting keg parties then it will look bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does being greek play a typical role in med school admission? or it doesn't matter at all?

do med school admission officers like to see we are greek?

what about the leadership in greek organizations? does it look better if we are the top officers in greek org. or mayb the same as the leaderships in other orgs.

thanks!

Same as leadership in other organizations. I don't think it will make or break you.

I think Spanish or Chinese would be a better sellling point than Greek. How many underserved Greek communities are there? :)

I can see the bullets now:
"Responsible for logistics of the most bad ass kegger our school has ever seen. One of our pledges drank himself to death.....at his funeral, everybody got laid."
"Functioned as the health and safety chair for *insert sorority name*.....duties included handing out condoms, maintaining a stockpile of morning after pills, organizing random STD screenings and scheduling abortions for my sisters."

That is REALLY offensive...and I am pretty hard to offend! Do you honestly believe that that's what people in sororities do? As someone who is in a sorority, I'm kind of appalled at all these stereotypes. It's not just a group of blonde idiots that get together once a week to get trashed. Last year my chapter (~200 girls) raised $78,000 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Just our chapter. It's actually pretty amazing we even had time to fundraise in between all the STD screenings. You know, because if you're in a sorority you MUST be a slut, right?

That is REALLY offensive...and I am pretty hard to offend! Do you honestly believe that that's what people in sororities do? As someone who is in a sorority, I'm kind of appalled at all these stereotypes. It's not just a group of blonde idiots that get together once a week to get trashed. Last year my chapter (~200 girls) raised $78,000 for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Just our chapter. It's actually pretty amazing we even had time to fundraise in between all the STD screenings. You know, because if you're in a sorority you MUST be a slut, right?

dont worry, people cant understand what they cant be part of. they slam it instead to make themselves feel better.

I've heard in some interviews they see how many beers you can handle in a beer bong. 4 is an automatic acceptance.

Seriously, Greek status neither detracts or adds to your application in any way.

Another TriDelt?!! I am pretty shocked by how quick people are to throw stereotypes around :thumbdown:

I am GREEK, and I listed it. If I had left that off it would have meant leaving off significant leadership experience, as well as part of who I am. Even if I had known that it is as controversial as many of you say, I would have still listed it. If a school doesnt want me because I have shown that I can juggle multiple tasks (work, school, sorority, research, volunteering) and still maintain a high GPA then I am not sure that would be the right place for me anyways.

I mean since when do adcoms have something against being well rounded? I dont think that being greek is going to somehow magically get one an acceptance but if everything else is there, I don't see how this could hurt the person if they are able to explain what was gained from the experience. Being a doctor is not just about being intelligent, it also about being able to relate to people, teamwork, leadership, time management..... and all of these things are learned, or at least nurtured, through greek membership.

If you've been around here long enough you know that whatever DKM says can't always be taken to heart. The majority of this thread says if you were just bonging beers or slipping roophies (roofies) then leave it off your application. If you did something worthwhile then include it. Its up to you. Greek life will always have a stereotype. If you are in a social fraternity or sorority you will have to deal with it. Sorry.

If you've been around here long enough you know that whatever DKM says can't always be taken to heart. The majority of this thread says if you were just bonging beers or slipping roophies (roofies) then leave it off your application. If you did something worthwhile then include it. Its up to you. Greek life will always have a stereotype. If you are in a social fraternity or sorority you will have to deal with it. Sorry.

I know, but my point was that there ARE no sororities where all they do is "bong beers and slip roofies". Yeah, there are parties, but there are no bongs/roofies involved. There are rules you know!! My personal experience with greek life has been only positive, and it's taught me a lot. I really believe that when interviews come around, I'll be glad that I've had lots of practice of having long conversations with people I just met (during rush, you have to keep a conversation going for 45 minutes with a stranger...it can get awkward). I am really doubtful that any adcom would look down on being a well-rounded student.

Members don't see this ad :)
dont worry, people cant understand what they cant be part of. they slam it instead to make themselves feel better.

I think a lot of these stereotypes exist not because every single sorority or every single sorority member is that way but because a lot of people at some point have known someone or another who've fit into those bonds and because of the way the media portrays sororities.

I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about....

In media look at movies like Legally Blonde to get an idea of why people would get misinformation about what sororities are like.

In real life, we have a couple of Indian sororities along with the host of other sororities on campus. We also have 2 Indianf frats along with the host of other frats on campus.

Using the example of one of those sororities whose name i won't mention, there are some people who are very intelligent in the sorority and made it to medical school, dental school, Pharmacy school.

Then there is one girl who is constantly getting drunk, used to come to school honor society meetings hung over and acting inappropriately, totally rich spoiled girl. While she is booksmart she spends much of her time partying and doing all sorts of stupid things.

Usually the ones who are more noticable aren't always the ones acting in an appropriate manner since those good girls usually tend to be more subtle. The ones who are more noticed are always the ones who are doing bad and so that's where misrepersentation comes from.

Another example of that phenomena. Look at the news...

When you watch the news you tend to forget when you see something about someone winning an award or doing good, however you often remember the sad and disturbing images of things like the Iraqi war, the Taliban, someone getting raped and/or murdered, etc.

It is the same phenomena with frats/sororities. People on the outside don't see the community service or other activities, what they see is the advertisements for keg parties and the more inappropriate ones and they form their images based on this.

I think a lot of these stereotypes exist not because every single sorority or every single sorority member is that way but because a lot of people at some point have known someone or another who've fit into those bonds and because of the way the media portrays sororities.

I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about....

In media look at movies like Legally Blonde to get an idea of why people would get misinformation about what sororities are like.

In real life, we have a couple of Indian sororities along with the host of other sororities on campus. We also have 2 Indianf frats along with the host of other frats on campus.

Using the example of one of those sororities whose name i won't mention, there are some people who are very intelligent in the sorority and made it to medical school, dental school, Pharmacy school.

Then there is one girl who is constantly getting drunk, used to come to school honor society meetings hung over and acting inappropriately, totally rich spoiled girl. While she is booksmart she spends much of her time partying and doing all sorts of stupid things.

Usually the ones who are more noticable aren't always the ones acting in an appropriate manner since those good girls usually tend to be more subtle. The ones who are more noticed are always the ones who are doing bad and so that's where misrepersentation comes from.

Another example of that phenomena. Look at the news...

When you watch the news you tend to forget when you see something about someone winning an award or doing good, however you often remember the sad and disturbing images of things like the Iraqi war, the Taliban, someone getting raped and/or murdered, etc.

It is the same phenomena with frats/sororities. People on the outside don't see the community service or other activities, what they see is the advertisements for keg parties and the more inappropriate ones and they form their images based on this.

methinks you are correct.

Yet, if i had a dime though for everytime i saw a busted a**, tired looking sorority chick with a crush t-shirt in my classes, I wouldn't have to take loans out for med school.

On the same token, I never once saw flyers for community service projects or other charitable events. Not to say that it doesn't happen. It's just not publicized.

I know, but my point was that there ARE no sororities where all they do is "bong beers and slip roofies". Yeah, there are parties, but there are no bongs/roofies involved. There are rules you know!!

You obviously have not been around the block long enough. I can guarantee you that atleast one frat or sorority on your campus does it. I've had horrible things happen to friends to just turn a blind eye.

You obviously have not been around the block long enough. I can guarantee you that atleast one frat or sorority on your campus does it. I've had horrible things happen to friends to just turn a blind eye.

agreed. i went to a big school and all you had to do was drive through the frat/sorority house populated area on a saturday night to see it happening.

This thread is hilarious.

Can we call Law2Doc "Keeper of the Keg" from now on?

Please. I was all up in that nonsense and could expound scathingly on all its superficialities and faults. But that's a different conversation.

But you know what, it's like someoned said, its not that big of deal one way or the other. I can tell you if I was interviewing someone who imagined their greek experience was some deeply profound educational life experience I would know immediately this person has never left the social womb they were born into and rate them accordingly--but that's cause I've been there done that and can look back over a huge gulf of life experience and laugh at it.

Go ahead and brag up and down about it. It's your application. I was just trying to offer you all an alternative consideration. Good luck to all.

agreed. i went to a big school and all you had to do was drive through the frat/sorority house populated area on a saturday night to see it happening.

That's awful!! To be honest though, I think that's prob. a slight exaggeration. Has there ever been a beer bong on frat row? yes. Are frat guys/sorority girls sitting on their front lawns doing drugs and getting trashed every saturday night? ummm...no. I can only speak for sororities at my particular school (which is large), and there are EXTREMELY strict rules about this sort of behavior. If you are ever caught in the possession of any sort of illegal drug, you are kicked out, for good, no questions asked. Underage drinking is obviously a problem in any sort of organization with people our age, and the national executives are really trying to solve these problems. Rules are getting stricter and stricter every year, mostly because they don't want to be sued for allowing irresponsible behavior (like drunk driving). You are not allowed to drink at parties unless you are 21, and they know who is and who isn't. If you are 21, you HAVE to get a ride with someone who has signed a "i will not drink" contract, or you have to get a taxi, and the officers must physically see you get in and out of the taxi. Cops are also required to be present at every party we have to do security. All I can say is that if I saw that people were out of control and doing drugs and stuff when I first joined, I would have quit on the spot. Of course there are some girls in every chapter that fit the sorority girl stereotype to a T (I'm wearing a ralph lauren button down right now, I'll admit it), but all I'm saying is that the VAST majority of the girls I personally know that are greek are wonderful, classy, smart, and genuinely good people. Just because one sorority girl you know happens to be a little wild, or a bi***, or kinda slutty, that doesn't mean every single other girl in a sorority in the whole country is that way too.

That's awful!! To be honest though, I think that's prob. a slight exaggeration. Has there ever been a beer bong on frat row? yes. Are frat guys/sorority girls sitting on their front lawns doing drugs and getting trashed every saturday night? ummm...no. I can only speak for sororities at my particular school (which is large), and there are EXTREMELY strict rules about this sort of behavior. If you are ever caught in the possession of any sort of illegal drug, you are kicked out, for good, no questions asked. Underage drinking is obviously a problem in any sort of organization with people our age, and the national executives are really trying to solve these problems. Rules are getting stricter and stricter every year, mostly because they don't want to be sued for allowing irresponsible behavior (like drunk driving). You are not allowed to drink at parties unless you are 21, and they know who is and who isn't. If you are 21, you HAVE to get a ride with someone who has signed a "i will not drink" contract, or you have to get a taxi, and the officers must physically see you get in and out of the taxi. Cops are also required to be present at every party we have to do security. All I can say is that if I saw that people were out of control and doing drugs and stuff when I first joined, I would have quit on the spot. Of course there are some girls in every chapter that fit the sorority girl stereotype to a T (I'm wearing a ralph lauren button down right now, I'll admit it), but all I'm saying is that the VAST majority of the girls I personally know that are greek are wonderful, classy, smart, and genuinely good people. Just because one sorority girl you know happens to be a little wild, or a bi***, or kinda slutty, that doesn't mean every single other girl in a sorority in the whole country is that way too.

Yay sororties! Now you could attach your essay here to application or you could briefly cite it and just not make a big deal about it. Or if you are part of some "some sorority girls for jesus" exception to all the things I've seen you could place yourself in the hands of fate of meeting your likeness on an adcomm and make it central to your application. Given your serious attitude maybe your dedication to service and good school work will overcome any negative (but largely true) stereotypes.

But the consensus I've heard repeated by those in the know here who stop by to help us out, continually remind us not to make a big target for any negative stereotypes for adcomms. For instance if you had a mental illness--despite PC sentiment that says there's nothing wrong woth this--you shouldn't make your personal statement about it.

OK. I'm tired of talking about this. Later.

methinks you are correct.

Yet, if i had a dime though for everytime i saw a busted a**, tired looking sorority chick with a crush t-shirt in my classes, I wouldn't have to take loans out for med school.

On the same token, I never once saw flyers for community service projects or other charitable events. Not to say that it doesn't happen. It's just not publicized.

Yeah that last point you were making was one of the points I was making. If people don't know about the service events they do its because its not advertised. They only advertise when they want guests at keggers or clubbing events.

I've seen schools like that. I Know when i visited FSU a few years ago it was like that. My school has been around only since the mid 1950s and for several years they were more of a commuter school. Hence there weren't the traditional red brick buildings and row of frat/sorority houses even though we have frats/sororities on campus and many of them.

The whole idea of frat/sorority housing was developed only recently in the last half decade or so and they are runned somewhat by the housing/residence services on campus so there are stricter rules then the typical older more traditional college atmosphere.

Many of the frats/sororities on campus don't even have their own frat/sorority houses on or off campus. Most of their events take place at someone's apt or a club they rent out in the ybor city district.

Please. I was all up in that nonsense and could expound scathingly on all its superficialities and faults. But that's a different conversation.

But you know what, it's like someoned said, its not that big of deal one way or the other. I can tell you if I was interviewing someone who imagined their greek experience was some deeply profound educational life experience I would know immediately this person has never left the social womb they were born into and rate them accordingly--but that's cause I've been there done that and can look back over a huge gulf of life experience and laugh at it.

Go ahead and brag up and down about it. It's your application. I was just trying to offer you all an alternative consideration. Good luck to all.

hahaha my oldest brother was in an Engineering Coed fraternity and while they did many volunteer events it wasn't any deeply profound experience in terms of educational experience.
Instead it was mostly the road trips across the country for social gatherings like ski trips in Colorado and Mardi Gras in Louisiana that meant more to him. It was far more a social outlet for him and where he did most of his partying.

Though he rarely keeps in touch with most of those people these days and made a lot of mistakes when he was younger I don't think he regrets his college experience in the frat because he had a lot of good times and travelled across country. But it was by no means a leadership experience for him though he was an officer at some point.

Nonetheless, if one is to mention greek life they should put a positive spin on it. Even if it meant a lot of road trips, they should put a positive twist to it saying how it gave them an opportunity to travel and see different parts of the country.

Guess again. I was in a fraternity and my ex-girlfriend was the social chair of her sorority. The lack of anything meaningful is what provoked me to quit (that and I didn't like being told I had to drink). I love how frat members always seem to assume that if we don't get it, that it is because we "can't be part of it". :rolleyes: Maybe pulling the stick out of your ass might help......I'll go fire up the tractor because it seems to be lodged pretty far up there.

If you've been around here long enough you know that whatever DKM says can't always be taken to heart.

Finally someone who gets it. I may be blunt and brutal, but most of the time (~95%) I am doing more than just talking to hear my head rattle because what I say is grounded in some level of truth. Smacking someone upside the head with something- be it a ballbat, a penis or the truth- tends to provoke a reaction of a less than pleasant nature, but sometimes it still has to be done just to correct that person's behavior.

I know, but my point was that there ARE no sororities where all they do is "bong beers and slip roofies". Yeah, there are parties, but there are no bongs/roofies involved. There are rules you know!!

Bull****....I've witnessed it personally (well not the roofies part). You're exhibiting observational bias. Oh, and as for rules, those seem to go out the window for the most part in most place in the pursuit of a good time.

It's actually pretty amazing we even had time to fundraise in between all the STD screenings. You know, because if you're in a sorority you MUST be a slut, right?

Lighten the hell up.

It's not just a group of blonde idiots that get together once a week to get trashed.

You might not all be blonde (my ex was a brunette), but it seems like a lot of you lack the ability to detect sarcasm and satire.

That's awful!! To be honest though, I think that's prob. a slight exaggeration. Has there ever been a beer bong on frat row? yes. Are frat guys/sorority girls sitting on their front lawns doing drugs and getting trashed every saturday night? ummm...no. I can only speak for sororities at my particular school (which is large), and there are EXTREMELY strict rules about this sort of behavior. If you are ever caught in the possession of any sort of illegal drug, you are kicked out, for good, no questions asked. Underage drinking is obviously a problem in any sort of organization with people our age, and the national executives are really trying to solve these problems. Rules are getting stricter and stricter every year, mostly because they don't want to be sued for allowing irresponsible behavior (like drunk driving). You are not allowed to drink at parties unless you are 21, and they know who is and who isn't. If you are 21, you HAVE to get a ride with someone who has signed a "i will not drink" contract, or you have to get a taxi, and the officers must physically see you get in and out of the taxi. Cops are also required to be present at every party . we have to do security. All I can say is that if I saw that people were out of control and doing drugs and stuff when I first joined, I would have quit on the spot. Of course there are some girls in every chapter that fit the sorority girl stereotype to a T (I'm wearing a ralph lauren button down right now, I'll admit it), but all I'm saying is that the VAST majority of the girls I personally know that are greek are wonderful, classy, smart, and genuinely good people. Just because one sorority girl you know happens to be a little wild, or a bi***, or kinda slutty, that doesn't mean every single other girl in a sorority in the whole country is that way too.

it's not an exaggeration actually. there were usually these shabby little "fences" that were there to keep the outside non-greek folks from *gasp* coming in. they weren't too well built though and you could see right in and smell whatever fumes came over.

i don't want to start a flame war though. even if this was the case, who says you can't drink and party with your friends in college. you don't have be greek to do it. everyone does it. underage drinking to me isn't that big of a deal.

i think the point being made here is just that whether the stereotype holds true for you or not, that is how you will be viewed by a lot of people. if i was reading a greek app, even if you talked about all the fabulous fundraisers, etc that you did, all i would be thinking is that he/she probably really knows how to have a good time/get wasted. it would probably negatively impact my decision because of all the "sorostitutes" and "frat a-holes" that i did know.

I can tell you if I was interviewing someone who imagined their greek experience was some deeply profound educational life experience I would know immediately this person has never left the social womb they were born into and rate them accordingly.

Well, then you probably haven't been through a pledgeship with 30 of your closest friends. If you haven't had that full experience, it's really hard to understand the point of it. I really can't explain it to anyone that has never done it.

Well, then you probably haven't been through a pledgeship with 30 of your closest friends. If you haven't had that full experience, it's really hard to understand the point of it. I really can't explain it to anyone that has never done it.
:rolleyes: As someone who has been through it, I can.....basically a bunch of pointless bull**** involving your "friends" who, like you, are paying for the pleasure of this crap, designed to weed out anyone with any sort of social shortcomings. The end.

Oh, and if that is really such a life changing experience in your book that you can't begin to describe it, you need to get out more often. If you have to pay to have your 30 closest friends, you've got bigger problems than we can adequately address here.

:rolleyes: As someone who has been through it, I can.....basically a bunch of pointless bull**** involving your "friends" who, like you, are paying for the pleasure of this crap, designed to weed out anyone with any sort of social shortcomings. The end.

Oh, and if that is really such a life changing experience in your book that you can't begin to describe it, you need to get out more often. If you have to pay to have your 30 closest friends, you've got bigger problems than we can adequately address here.

Haha, that's funny coming from someone who spends so much time on the internet.

I see your point on paying for friends. Really, though, it all works out. I get to live in a multi-million dollar house for a little bit less than what dorms cost, and dues include a meal plan, which is not much more expensive than a normal meal plan.

Haha, that's funny coming from someone who spends so much time on the internet.

That's the beauty of having a research job that doesn't involve simply tending to gels. :laugh: Actually I'm not online that much, I just post a lot when I am here.

I see your point on paying for friends. Really, though, it all works out. I get to live in a multi-million dollar house for a little bit less than what dorms cost, and dues include a meal plan, which is not much more expensive than a normal meal plan.

And to think.....for less than that you could live off campus and not have to deal with any of the hassles of having roommates. ;) I see your point on this, but I don't see any benefit to being Greek when it comes to anything once you graduate. Any benefits while you're in school will depend on a person's definition of benefits. If you're idea of fringe benefits are easy access to drunk chicks, cheap low-quality beer, and having 30-40 guys to back your ass up when you say something stupid to someone bigger than you, then go for it. :laugh:

Sadly I never got to hold that office. However I believe the guy from my pledge class who did, did in fact go on to a very good med school. I doubt he mentioned this honor in his ECs.
"It was this failure in life that kept me out of a really good school. Forget academic honors, everyone knows Harvard wants to admit the partymeister." :laugh: ;) j/k L2D :laugh:

Any experience you participate in helps shape you! If being greek was influential and taught you a lot, talk about it. On my interviews, they asked me about everything...from my experience in a sorority to my research fellowship--it's all fair game. As long as you can censor what you learned from your house, you'll do great! To lead a bunch of 18-22 year olds takes a lot of initiative and skill...be proud.

To lead a bunch of 18-22 year olds takes a lot of initiative and skill...be proud.

Please.....by the definition then if you worked as a farm hand and herded cattle all day then you should get into Harvard, because cattle are far harder to handle (because they are smarter) than most 18-22 year olds. This is especially true if you are dealing with a situation where the promise of beer or sex is involved for the kids. If you lead by fear or bribery, that's not true leadership, but those are the styles of leadership in most Greek organizations.

To lead a bunch of 18-22 year olds takes a lot of initiative and skill...be proud.

That depends on what you lead them in. Charitable fundraisers, blood drives, etc = great. Jello shots and streaking... not so much. If you were the Will Ferrell character from Old School, I'd probably not mention it.

woohoo, a thread where people are hostile to a group that isn't "lawyers" :laugh:

um, like, HIIIIII! did you SEE that girl with last year's Gap sweater???? I mean, how GAUCHE!! I bet her parents don't even OWN a beach house!! Can you BELIEVE she wants to pledge? OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!! she needs to find some girls like HER for friends, ugly girls who don't have MONEY like us!!! She'd NEVER appreciate the BONDING experience you get when you write that big check to the sorority and get all the BEST girls to obligate to be your friends!!!

woohoo, a thread where people are hostile to a group that isn't "lawyers" :laugh:

um, like, HIIIIII! did you SEE that girl with last year's Gap sweater???? I mean, how GAUCHE!! I bet her parents don't even OWN a beach house!! Can you BELIEVE she wants to pledge? OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!! she needs to find some girls like HER for friends, ugly girls who don't have MONEY like us!!! She'd NEVER appreciate the BONDING experience you get when you write that big check to the sorority and get all the BEST girls to obligate to be your friends!!!

if you want to make fun, get it right... we wear polo's and pearls, have 2 beach houses, a mercedes, we have pillow fights in our bras every thursday night, and of course, all of us will rightfully take our spots as the trophy wife as soon as we graduate. :rolleyes:

Wow. I'm amazed at the level of animosity towards Greeks there is on this board. Every time somebody brings it up, people get downright nasty. Goodness.

Personally, I was in a sorority, and we had our share of partiers and those who would fall under the definition of "easy." But I also found some of the best friends I've ever had, and they were a wonderful, smart, fun group. Most of them are in professional or grad schools now. Anecdotal evidence will get you nowhere, but I can't believe at how willing people are to believe that every sorority girl is a snarky bitch who likes to judge other people as often as possible. Does that sound any more realistic that the stereotype of non-greeks being dorky losers? No.

Grow up, people. Just because you were/weren't included doesn't mean you get to act like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum.

Wow. I'm amazed at the level of animosity towards Greeks there is on this board. Every time somebody brings it up, people get downright nasty. Goodness.

Personally, I was in a sorority, and we had our share of partiers and those who would fall under the definition of "easy." But I also found some of the best friends I've ever had, and they were a wonderful, smart, fun group. Most of them are in professional or grad schools now. Anecdotal evidence will get you nowhere, but I can't believe at how willing people are to believe that every sorority girl is a snarky bitch who likes to judge other people as often as possible. Does that sound any more realistic that the stereotype of non-greeks being dorky losers? No.

Grow up, people. Just because you were/weren't included doesn't mean you get to act like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum.

Yeah you bring a lot of good points up. I think I found equally as many people who fit the stereotype of the sorority/frat person without ever being part of those kind of groups. Likewise, I know of many people who've made it to professional school despite being in a sorority or frat be it med school either MD or DO in the US, Pharmacy school, Dental school, engineering, etc. even though they were in such a group.

The only reason why I'd never join is because I didn't like some of the hazing properties some of them had for RUSH. Not implicating all of them had those policies. Also, I couldn't fathom paying the hundreds of dollars a year to be part of one of those things. But I don't think that every single person I know in one of them is the stereotype.

You'll find this sorta sentiment everywhere though. You just have to ignore it.

Given that all of my interviews were conducted in Greek, I'd say it plays a rather large role in med school admissions.

Yeah you bring a lot of good points up. I think I found equally as many people who fit the stereotype of the sorority/frat person without ever being part of those kind of groups. Likewise, I know of many people who've made it to professional school despite being in a sorority or frat be it med school either MD or DO in the US, Pharmacy school, Dental school, engineering, etc. even though they were in such a group.

The only reason why I'd never join is because I didn't like some of the hazing properties some of them had for RUSH. Not implicating all of them had those policies. Also, I couldn't fathom paying the hundreds of dollars a year to be part of one of those things. But I don't think that every single person I know in one of them is the stereotype.

You'll find this sorta sentiment everywhere though. You just have to ignore it.

Hazing is a stupid, stupid thing and I wish that people would get rid of it because it scares away people from joining organizations (Greeks are not the only ones who haze; many of the varsity teams at my undergrad hazed terribly). I chose an organization that did no hazing whatsoever; we treated all of our members with respect and dignity. You won't find that everywhere, though, which is a shame. Why would you want to treat your new friends badly? I fail to see the logic in it. People who claim "bonding" are just kidding themselves, I bonded just fine with my pledge class through bowling outings, meetings, dinners, etc together.

(I find it interesting that you said "made it to med school despite being greek." I would think that the correct term would be, "made it to med school, and were greek." Being greek helps many people with their social and communication skills, which are essential as a clinician. I got a lot more out of my experience than learning which bars had the best specials for happy hour.)

Hazing is a stupid, stupid thing and I wish that people would get rid of it because it scares away people from joining organizations (Greeks are not the only ones who haze; many of the varsity teams at my undergrad hazed terribly). I chose an organization that did no hazing whatsoever; we treated all of our members with respect and dignity. You won't find that everywhere, though, which is a shame. Why would you want to treat your new friends badly? I fail to see the logic in it. People who claim "bonding" are just kidding themselves, I bonded just fine with my pledge class through bowling outings, meetings, dinners, etc together.

(I find it interesting that you said "made it to med school despite being greek." I would think that the correct term would be, "made it to med school, and were greek." Being greek helps many people with their social and communication skills, which are essential and clinician. I got a lot more out of my experience than learning which bars had the best specials for happy hour.)

BUMP

Keep watchin the sun rise my man. When things get real for each of your separate lives, I'm going to take a wild guess, and say that 30 dudes won't be by your side to help you through difficult times when you're 30 or 40 or 50....

Enjoy it and live it to the fullest as you see fit. I couldn't stand it. But it's all good. Carry on.

I don't have hostility to Greek organizations. That would be like having hostility towards High School in general--it doesn't make any sense.

Contrary to your flippant imaginings not everyone wants to be in your little clubs.

Keep watchin the sun rise my man. When things get real for each of your separate lives, I'm going to take a wild guess, and say that 30 dudes won't be by your side to help you through difficult times when you're 30 or 40 or 50....

Enjoy it and live it to the fullest as you see fit. I couldn't stand it. But it's all good. Carry on.

I don't have hostility to Greek organizations. That would be like having hostility towards High School in general--it doesn't make any sense.

Contrary to your flippant imaginings not everyone wants to be in your little clubs.

i thought you were "tired of talking about this"

seriously we're beating a dead horse here people.

Bottom line: can't stereotype greek folks as much as you can't generalize about white/black/asian or any other large group of people

If you did something that defined you as a person, list it and back it up. The insights and character that you gained will set you apart and make you a more interesting/competitive applicant.

seriously we're beating a dead horse here people.

Bottom line: can't stereotype greek folks as much as you can't generalize about white/black/asian or any other large group of people

If you did something that defined you as a person, list it and back it up. The insights and character that you gained will set you apart and make you a more interesting/competitive applicant.

Exactly.

anyway, I have no hard feelings or anything, I just wanted to give my opinion as someone on the inside. and it's just that- an OPINION! :)