What rotation are you starting internship on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riverie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got our 2009-2010 schedules. I'm starting on PCU! :scared:

On a better note, I got all the vacations I requested! :)

Members don't see this ad.

General ward night float here.

Yikes to be starting on PICU! We don't rotate there until second year in my program. I'll admit that there was one possible schedule option that would have started me on call in the NICU my first night and that schedule dropped down in my rankings solely for that reason. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh PCU's our step down unit from PICU. Tough, but not as tough as PICU. Oh gosh, I would freak out if I were starting on PICU!

Well, at least you're getting it over with!! :) Every other floor will be a cakewalk, like TR said. Not to discourage you at all (just being honest), but I thought PCU was my hardest month this year....so just know that things will only get better!

Oh, and guess who's your supervisor on 10/11 in August?? :D

Yup, that'd be me. ;)

Well, at least you're getting it over with!! :) Every other floor will be a cakewalk, like TR said. Not to discourage you at all (just being honest), but I thought PCU was my hardest month this year....so just know that things will only get better!

:eek: eep! that's the general consensus i've heard from talking to interns. i'll just have to brace myself for the impact!

Oh, and guess who's your supervisor on 10/11 in August?? :D

Yup, that'd be me. ;)

Awesome! :D

Quick question for the current interns:

I didn't get any major holidays for my 5-day holiday - miscommunication with the fiance. Thought he only cared about Christmas (which I didn't get,) so I didn't request New Year's or Thanksgiving. So now I find out he's upset that I didn't. :p Anyway, he wants to know if I'll be working through those holidays or do we get at least a day off?

It depends on what rotation you're on....if it's an inpatient call month, you can usually expect to work on the holiday, but if you're not on call, you can generally get your work done and go home pretty early. If it's an outpatient "easy" month, sometimes you get lucky and get the actual holiday itself off.

Ok cool, thanks!

I'm on 9 in November, county hospital newborn in december and 12 for New year's. Hopefully I won't be on call during one of the two holidays during ward months and newborn won't be too bad on Christmas! I'm sure a lot of babies will still be born though. :p

Ok cool, thanks!

I'm on 9 in November, county hospital newborn in december and 12 for New year's. Hopefully I won't be on call during one of the two holidays during ward months and newborn won't be too bad on Christmas! I'm sure a lot of babies will still be born though. :p
You need to specifically request not to be on call on those days if you want a chance at being home on the holidays. I was on call for Thanksgiving and New Year's. (My holiday is actually Memorial Day next month.) I was on an outpatient month for Christmas and lucked into an off day, other interns were in the ER that day.

I'm starting on outpatient clinics! aaaaah...sounds good. But then I have 9th floor after that.

Seems like this thread got rather Baylor-centric pretty quickly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok cool, thanks!

First of all, I know TR and Marigold had hard PCU months, but I really enjoyed my PCU month. I thought it was pretty managable and really enjoyed the patients and their problems. Of course, I know I'm biased because of my critical care leanings, but I still want to chime as someone who really enjoyed it. I actually considered volunteering to do it again as supervisor instead of an ER month, but another month of q4 call turned me off.

On newborn, you should be out pretty quick on Christmas. Since Christmas is a Friday, you could also possibly be one of the lucky ones who has a Friday off that week (usually one person a week has Friday off). you'd have to request it, though. Thanksgiving on 9 shouldn't be too bad. You'll be able to eat Thanksgiving dinner at home, as long as you're not on call (you'd have to request that). I started with 9 as an intern and actually ended up really liking it. I repeated it last month, and despite it being a hard month for many other, uncontrollable reasons, I still really like it and didn't really want to switch today. I'll save my comments on 12 for a less public arena.

Oh, and I have to second ms a.'s opinion of the Heme-Onc floor. I liked it and still remember many of the patients and families I worked with very well. If I had my choice of floors to be supervisor on, it would be that one.

Oh, and I have to second ms a.'s opinion of the Heme-Onc floor. I liked it and still remember many of the patients and families I worked with very well. If I had my choice of floors to be supervisor on, it would be that one.

...and I'm going to "third" ms. a's opinion about 9....I really loved it. The calls can be challenging, but overall, my favorite floor month.

NICU for me. Yay cliches!

I'm starting in the NICU too...and then doing my well newborn rotation after that! Four hundred babies!

Gen Peds Ward for me. I still have two days of rotations left as an MSIV though :(

I'm starting on vacation....awesome. :mad:

Pulm Wards....
Starting off with something I know so little about, sigh. Nothing like learning on the job.

Oh that's so not cool!

I know, it's really a bummer. The only silver lining is that maybe it'll help me in terms of career planning since it's an elective month..........but yea, it mostly sucks.

another silver lining is that the weather will be amazing and you'll get to enjoy the summer while others are slaving away!

True. And I'll get to finish moving in!

Peds Floor! Yeah! I wanted to start off running...

Peds ED/Advocacy. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'll be starting my second year (for real this time I mean it!) of residency on sweet sweet community outpatient. Which is awesome after 2 straight months of death by delivery pager rotations. Of course, the last weekend in June I'm nursery intern, and the first weekend in July I'm nursery senior. At least I'll know all the patients. :rolleyes: