What salary would you want as a psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What salary would you be satified with as a psychologist?

• <$50k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $50-75k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $75-100k

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • $100-125k

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • $125-150k

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • >$150k

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Sanman

O.G.
Reaction score
Taking inspiration from the other thread regarding a "good" salary (and slacking off on Friday paperwork for a few minutes), I am curious about what salary the community would be satisfied with in general. For me, 100k is that number, everything else is gravy. Feel free to

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
images

Reactions: 6 users
Can we better operationalize "satisfied"? Are we talking the minimum I would consider acceptable to enter the field? Level at which I feel comfortable? Are we talking "as long as I earn this I won't feel the need to push for higher"? Present salary or forever salary?

75k - I likely would have still chosen to enter the field.
100k - I think is quite solid.

I think no matter what my salary is I'll be pushing to do better, but that's more a personality trait.

This is also somewhat dependent on work environment. I'm in a high stress environment now. I'm actually considering moves that might mean lower pay now - and certainly a lower ceiling in the long run. I don't know if that means I'd consider a lower amount of pay to still be "satisfying" or just that the pay would be unsatisfying, but overall job satisfaction would be higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think satisfied can be operationalized as the minimum level that you would feel comfortable attaining as a forever salary and feel as if you accomplished your career goals. The "as long as I earn this I won't feel the need to push for higher" statement feels appropriate.

In your example, if I were making 150k and moved to a less stressful job making 100k, I would be satisfied with still attaining that salary and make the move. If I went from 100 to 75k, I would really have to consider it carefully.

100 seemed like a lot when I was in graduate school but doesn’t anymore. Amazing how fast it can disappear beneath mortgage, child care, high tax living areas, Starbucks, and impulsive Amazon purchases.

Reactions: 3 users
100 seemed like a lot when I was in graduate school but doesn’t anymore. Amazing how fast it can disappear beneath mortgage, child care, high tax living areas, Starbucks, and impulsive Amazon purchases.

Damn you Amazon Prime!

Reactions: 1 users
In that case, I put 75-100k, assuming that would adjust with inflation and not lock me into that number for the next 30 years. I have pretty inexpensive taste, am in a dual income household and live in an area with a very modest COL though. Were any of those things not true, 100-125 would likely be more reasonable.

100-125k, I'd be ok for the areas with cost of living similar to where I am now / where I most what to live. I picked this one since this is the 'acceptable' range for me. I'm also interested in a certain work/life balance.
I'd like to be earning 125-150 in the next 5 years but I've got a number of years to get there as I'm early ECP. I think thats doable.

100-125k, I'd be ok for the areas with cost of living similar to where I am now / where I most what to live. I picked this one since this is the 'acceptable' range for me. I'm also interested in a certain work/life balance.
I'd like to be earning 125-150 in the next 5 years but I've got a number of years to get there as I'm early ECP. I think thats doable.
You can be there as an ECP!
giphy.gif

Isn't the answer to a question like this always "just a little more" no matter your salary? If I made 10% more than I make now, I'd likely think it would be better if I made an additional 10% more. So, I work on being content with my current salary and work towards increasing my salary every 2 years (either through raises, changing jobs, or diversifying how I make money).

This is going to sound awful, but I actually have no idea and am probably part of the problem (of psychologists being undervalued). I'm the first in my family to go to college. My father supported my family making less than $36k a year. When I started grad school and got my stipend ($21k for 9 months of the yr), that was a lot of money to me.

I have no idea what a respectable or reasonable wage to expect would be following getting my doctorate. If I had to guess, the minimum would be 60k-ish.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the answer to a question like this always "just a little more" no matter your salary? If I made 10% more than I make now, I'd likely think it would be better if I made an additional 10% more. So, I work on being content with my current salary and work towards increasing my salary every 2 years (either through raises, changing jobs, or diversifying how I make money).

Well, that is certainly the J Paul Getty answer. However, while ideal that is not my answer. I hustle a bit more now and do things now to pay off debt and earn money to later leverage for investments. I'm not sure that I will always be willing to do those things as I get older. The goal for me is to maximize my earnings till age 45-50 and then set myself up for a cushier job that I can do into well retirement age. I certainly would not want to continue the level of travel I have been doing for more than the next 10 years.

This is going to sound awful, but I actually have no idea and am probably part of the problem (of psychologists being undervalued). I'm the first in my family to go to college. My father supported my family making less than $36k a year. When I started grad school and got my stipend ($21k for 9 months of the yr), that was a lot of money to me.

I have no idea what a respectable or reasonable wage to expect would be following getting my doctorate. If I had to guess, the minimum would be 60k-ish.
I figured a baseline with the following in mind and knowing that I don't have some expenses, that some would be time limited, and that others may vary:
**500/month car payment (6k and If I'm not buying a car, be saving it for when I do)
**1500/month house payment (18k)
**1400/month retirement savings (my contribution) (16.8k)
**1400/month standard personal (self) expenses (16.8k)
**800/month other savings / additional retirement as desired depending on larger purchase needs/wants (9.6k)
**300/month per child college/car/helpful young adult expense savings (3.6k)

From there I started to add in "what I want my life to be like" and then took the base prices offered, subtracted tax, and said "where would be acceptable. 100-125 is acceptable (100k = ~75k net; 125 = ~94k). 125-150 (94k - 112k net) is where I want to be based on my life choices/values, those estimations, and my current life 'stuff'.

Last edited:
In a higher cost of living area i’d want $150k+ and moderate cost of living I could get by on $130k. It sounds like a lot, but it’s not once you factor in retirement, etc.

We need to know our worth, and I personally wouldn't accept <$125k/year after a couple years out of fellowship. I’m assessment only and often in high-stakes cases, so the added pressure isn’t easy.

I think something that I didn't think about until I got into the field was quality of life in conjunction with place of employment. I took a staff psychologist job at a state hospital at first when i moved home, and was a bit lower in salary than I would have initially liked; however, the flexibility (essentially flexing whenever I want, as long as it hits 40 hrs per week), union protection, only have to work 40 hours per week there, health/dental/life/vision benefits, all of the ancillary perks of working for the state, and state pension retirement all sold me with the totality of the job. Throw in that in 6 years I would be maxing out at where I would want to salary-wise, the overall relaxed nature of the job, and the fact that I have a 7 minute commute to work, all were enough for me to justify the lower salary initially. (I also was doing PP at the same time, so I had that other income).

My entry level is 70k but good benefits and I love my day to day. Cost of living in my area is better than most large cities. I’m satisfied but also fully expect raises/promotions in the coming years, and have a partner who makes more than I do, and no student loans, so maybe that colors things a bit even though daycare is more than my mortgage- My standard of living is better than it has been ever before so I’m satisfied- yay middle class suburbia?? — it’s all relative I guess. I just want to be happy in my day to day, afford good care for my child, and buy fancy cheese at the grocery store occasionally while socking away for eventual retirement. All the boxes are checked. ETA - I'm also in an academic setting although I do mostly clinical work. Idk how much that affects salary but probably doesn't help it much, though it is what keeps the day to day interesting.

Last edited:
I really think you guys are selling yourselves short. Go look at the hourly rate for ER physicians in that forum, it’s only like $200/hr. It’s that they work more and bill for all of their time at work. I’d bet that most of you are doing little notes or phone calls for pro bono frequently.

True.

If done correctly, bring a psychologist should yield at least $100k-$120k. Unfortunately it seems that psychologists don’t put in the time/effort to make it worth it. Volume wise most definitely we do not. We also stink at advocating for ourselves. Those who put in a monicum of business sense do fine....if they avoid crushing debt.

True.

If done correctly, bring a psychologist should yield at least $100k-$120k. Unfortunately it seems that psychologists don’t put in the time/effort to make it worth it. Volume wise most definitely we do not. We also stink at advocating for ourselves. Those who put in a monicum of business sense do fine....if they avoid crushing debt.

I do wonder about how much psychology is affected by the "two-body" problem. Not just in academia, but in dual professional households as well. I know several female colleagues where even if they earned 100-120k, their spouses would out earn them. Part of the reason I chose my current position is that my wife earns more than I do. If I took the promotion I was offered at my old job, we would both be travelling constantly. This would not be conducive to family life.

Taking inspiration from the other thread regarding a "good" salary (and slacking off on Friday paperwork for a few minutes), I am curious about what salary the community would be satisfied with in general. For me, 100k is that number, everything else is gravy. Feel free to
I always felt 80k was the bare minimum and hope to make 120 to 150 after 10 years

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile