What schools are the most supportive and/or have toxic environments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m finalizing my school list over the next couple of days, and I’m realizing that I don’t know much how supportive the environment is at several of the schools I’m applying to. I’ve been told (by adcoms here!) that I’m competitive for most schools in the country, and to choose schools based on where I want to go. I will have 35 on my list, but I want to make sure I avoid schools with toxic environments as much as reasonable.

Does anybody have any insight into what schools are great places to attend and/or which ones I should be avoiding?

FWIW: I am from CA.

Members don't see this ad.

Toxic is subjective. Unless you are talking about schools on the brink of getting accreditation yanked (Cal Northstate), it might be harder to get a real answer. Yes, read the forums for what you want.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh, I would honestly worry about this more once you get in and have specific schools to choose from.

That being said, I’ve heard through the grapevine, FIU

Reactions: 1 users
These are good questions to ask current students when you show up for interviews. Wouldn't worry to much about it ahead of time, given how subjective that really is.

Reactions: 1 user
Most students who do interviews/tours/hosting are hand selected though so it’s not usually accurate

Would it be a good strategy to visit schools outside of Second Looks, to get a better gauge of their vibe and students? Assuming, of course, that I get any acceptances.

Would it be a good strategy to visit schools outside of Second Looks, to get a better gauge of their vibe and students? Assuming, of course, that I get any acceptances.
There is not really any good way to visit schools outside of second looks, interview days, or hosted admissions events, it's a bit different from undergrad in that way.

Happiness is probably more intrinsic than environmental anyway. You can’t really tell anything by how happy students are

True but wouldn’t there also be some selection bias in that students who are happy with the school are more likely to volunteer for these events.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a tour guide (in person tour) or virtual Q&A host trash the school

Ours volunteer.

True but wouldn’t there also be some selection bias in that students who are happy with the school are more likely to volunteer for these events.
We have no way of knowing.
Isn't it just as likely that those with an axe to grind would volunteer?

I’m finalizing my school list over the next couple of days, and I’m realizing that I don’t know much how supportive the environment is at several of the schools I’m applying to. I’ve been told (by adcoms here!) that I’m competitive for most schools in the country, and to choose schools based on where I want to go. I will have 35 on my list, but I want to make sure I avoid schools with toxic environments as much as reasonable.

Does anybody have any insight into what schools are great places to attend and/or which ones I should be avoiding?

Depends on what you consider toxic. Some people consider not being admitted to class while wearing their jammies is toxic. On the East Coast, arrogance is more the norm than exception. You can get some insight on the forums, but take some with a grain of salt. Does it really matter if you have only one acceptance, which the majority of students receive? Unless you have a target school, the interview can be quite enlightening on the schools culture. It was in my wife's case. Good luck and best wishes!

I suspect that what makes a medical school "toxic" is the cohort of students. Anyone with experience in the dean of students office will tell you that each class has its own personality and that takes shape in the first few weeks of M1, often during orientation as class leaders emerge and opinions are formed. A few disgruntled students in the early days of the M1 year can spoil the entire bushel.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I suspect that what makes a medical school "toxic" is the cohort of students. Anyone with experience in the dean of students office will tell you that each class has its own personality and that takes shape in the first few weeks of M1, often during orientation as class leaders emerge and opinions are formed. A few disgruntled students in the early days of the M1 year can spoil the entire bushel.
Oh boy! And when this happens, doesn't it represent a failure on the part of the adcom more than anything? After all, given the extensive scrutiny we are subjected to, and the overabundance of over qualified applicants from which to choose, isn't an important objective of the process to screen the malcontents out? :cool:

Reactions: 1 users

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a tour guide (in person tour) or virtual Q&A host trash the school

Mine were vetted. They needed to be passing the curriculum before I let them do anything with admissions or second look.

Oh boy! And when this happens, doesn't it represent a failure on the part of the adcom more than anything? After all, given the extensive scrutiny we are subjected to, and the overabundance of over qualified applicants from which to choose, isn't an important objective of the process to screen the malcontents out? :cool:
You don't know until after the first major exams. But I'm not disagreeing...

Some people are really good at masking their poor peer-peer interactions for the duration of an interview, and are clever at choosing their LORs. There are also clashing personalities in any cohort of people, especially among outgoing big personalities. When you have all year to prewrite the “how will you positively contribute to the atmosphere/culture of inclusivity/learning environment of our school” it can be easier to present oneself as agreeable. I do think the massive amount of applicants could make it hard to accurately gauge the quality of an applicant on the less tangible aspects of candidacy.

Reactions: 3 users

I think the best way is to go to school specific forums and solicit feedback from M3's and M4's via DM. Some will share a lot. Good and bad.