What schools don't care so much about Reading Comp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azdds2008

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously I got a pretty low score in reading comprehension... I was just wondering if anyone knows of schools that don't care so much on a low reading score... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

they all care about RC.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea i think you'll find that most people will tell you that RC and bio are the two big players. Since in dschool you'll basically be reading a ton of bio related material. So it makes sense.

They ALL care. I would say it is one of the most important scores. I was even told by one of the deans that if you scored so-so in the the other sections bu did well in RC they think that you will be fine because you will be able to read and understand textbooks. I know it's not what you want to here but it's the truth.

It goes kind of like this.... If you did really well it will help you, if you did very poorly <16-17 it will hurt you for sure and keep you from getting interviews. Normally someone who scores in this range is an ESL student (English as Secondary Language) and it can be discouraging for some/many schools because of language barriers (I am not saying this is right or OK, just simply stating that this IS the mentality of many ADCOMs). However, if you fall into the category of not doing so hot on the RC section, and English is your first language, there are many tricks for doing well on that section of the DAT even if you read very slow. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

I have seen many students that struggle with this section and I just don't get it. I am not a fast reader or a great reader by any means. I don't really enjoy reading unless I have too but I got a 23 on the RC. If I can do it so can anyone else. You just have to practice that section as much as possible. I did as many practice reading tests as I could until I got my score up. You can too.

yea i think you'll find that most people will tell you that RC and bio are the two big players. Since in dschool you'll basically be reading a ton of bio related material. So it makes sense.

I did well in both the Bio and reading sections on the DAT and the Biology section and I was average or just above on O. Chem and Chem but no one said anything to me at any of my interviews. If I were you I would retake the DAT and focus on the RC as much as possible. Good Luck.

Don't apply to Case, they care the most about RC.

Don't apply to Case, they care the most about RC.

Nope... incorrect. I have a 17 in RC and i just got my invite to CASE today! =) Keep hope alive!