What Schools reward DIY post-bacc (GPA repair)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarheel101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've started my DIY post bacc year where I'm taking upper levels courses at local universities to make up for my low uGPA. By the end of next spring I plan on completing anywhere from 24-30 credit hours. What schools (DO + MD) look favorably or reward those who did well in post-bacc. And is 24-30 credit hours enough? Or should I do more before I apply to medical schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, should I stick with doing a post-bacc (taking upper level classes) past 24-30 credit hours, or should I enroll in a SMP or masters type of the sort (that is geared towards helping low-GPA students). I was looking at EVMS medical masters, NSU MSBS, and Mercer's Masters in Pre-Clinical Sciences.

What was your GPA before starting the post-bacc? What will it be after the post-bacc is completed?
DO schools reward reinvention, @Goro can chime in with more information on that.

Personally, I think that if you do well in a DIY post-bacc that is about 30 credits or so (and get A's) you should be just fine.