What schools should I apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carwee44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior in my last semester. At the moment I have a 3.0 gpa (upward trend). I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will be after studying over the summer. I have done research, volunteered, and shadowed. I know my GPA isn't great, but I want to apply. I'm hoping I do well on the MCAT. I plan on applying to both MD and DO schools.
Assuming I get a decent MCAT score, what should my school list look like?

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on multiple factors. Would cost or location be a factor in your decision? I would definitely apply to your state school as you will have the highest chance of getting in. Other than that I would use the MSAR, which is a compilation of stats of all the medical schools to help you decide. It's like 20 bucks but I think it's definitely worth it because it shows the average matriculation MCAT scores and you can get an idea of where you stand. There's also a chart pinned up on this forum of school tiers, and you can also get an idea from there.

With that GPA none. You need to do a post-bac or an SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come back when you have an actual score and then we can advise.

I am a senior in my last semester. At the moment I have a 3.0 gpa (upward trend). I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will be after studying over the summer. I have done research, volunteered, and shadowed. I know my GPA isn't great, but I want to apply. I'm hoping I do well on the MCAT. I plan on applying to both MD and DO schools.
Assuming I get a decent MCAT score, what should my school list look like?