What schools should I look into?

Started by MedAhmed
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedAhmed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello to all. I was contemplating this morning on my road into college. I currently have about a 3.2 cumulative GPA. (Slacked Freshmen year) Next year when I become a Junior, I will be taking AP Literature, Chemistry Honors, Alg. 2, Spanish 3 CP, Biomedical Sciences, and US History 2 CP. a few clubs/sports that I'm in are Track, Tennis, President of the Spanish Club, Chess club, and academic league. My the time I graduate I wish to have a GPA above a 3.6. I've been told that as a minority, my chances are pretty good into getting into a prestigious school. What are some reputable Universites that I should consider? Also, feel free to list the schools you wish to attend. 👍
 
Hello to all. I was contemplating this morning on my road into college. I currently have about a 3.2 cumulative GPA. (Slacked Freshmen year) Next year when I become a Junior, I will be taking AP Literature, Chemistry Honors, Alg. 2, Spanish 3 CP, Biomedical Sciences, and US History 2 CP. a few clubs/sports that I'm in are Track, Tennis, President of the Spanish Club, Chess club, and academic league. My the time I graduate I wish to have a GPA above a 3.6. I've been told that as a minority, my chances are pretty good into getting into a prestigious school. What are some reputable Universites that I should consider? Also, feel free to list the schools you wish to attend. 👍
MedAhmed,

There is a thread extremely similar to this. Please search the other threads up BEFORE you create a new thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

MedAhmed,

Your aspirations look great. I wish you best of luck 👍 As Futuresurgeon00 said, there are remarkably similar posts to this, but i'll help you out here.

Looking at your GPA, I highly recommend going to one of your state colleges. I see you are from New Jersey. Rutgers is a highly regarded university. Don't forget to check it out 👍

Also, any other state college would do well. Just think about what you want, whether it be research, a smaller college with more 1 on 1 teaching, or a college with a large lecture hall.

I'm considering University of Vermont, Drew University, Kean University, Richard Stockton College,and Rider. Drew, Kean, and Richard are all NJ State colleges and they will all allow you to reach your goals of becoming a Physician.

If you are going to be a pre-med, it does not matter what college you go to, as long as it's accredited. Every school is a good school, regardless of it's ranking.

Most medical students will tell you that they wish they went to their state college to be closer to family, and to lower their debt.

Good out of state choices are Penn State, Fordham, NYU, and SUNY colleges, however, we need your SAT scores to give a more accurate prediction of what colleges you can attend.

Good Luck, OP!
 
Hello to all. I was contemplating this morning on my road into college. I currently have about a 3.2 cumulative GPA. (Slacked Freshmen year) Next year when I become a Junior, I will be taking AP Literature, Chemistry Honors, Alg. 2, Spanish 3 CP, Biomedical Sciences, and US History 2 CP. a few clubs/sports that I'm in are Track, Tennis, President of the Spanish Club, Chess club, and academic league. My the time I graduate I wish to have a GPA above a 3.6. I've been told that as a minority, my chances are pretty good into getting into a prestigious school. What are some reputable Universites that I should consider? Also, feel free to list the schools you wish to attend. 👍

About the minority issue, unless you are hispanic or black you won't benefit from any easier admission chances. The middle east is counted as "white" and Indians and east asians are counted as "asian". Hispanic means from a spanish speaking country and black means from sub-saharan africa and the west indies.
 
About the minority issue, unless you are hispanic or black you won't benefit from any easier admission chances. The middle east is counted as "white" and Indians and east asians are counted as "asian". Hispanic means from a spanish speaking country and black means from sub-saharan africa and the west indies.

He's african american.
 
Don't rely on the ethnic card man, I'm Hispanic but I still worked hard. Your ethnicity won't cover up a poor GPA or a low test score, it helps but don't treat it as an ace card. Elite institutions still want on paper qualifications. I wouldn't worry about particular schools now if I were you, work on upping your grades and prepping for that SAT/ACT, the summer between your junior and senior year is when i seriously starting vetting colleges. Don't look too far ahead
 
I would recommend you apply to state schools/universities as you may have a good chance of admission. You shouldn't rely on your status as a minority and believe you can walk into any school--there are other minority students as well that may have a better GPA, ACT/SAT, extracurriculars, etc. and they'll also be competing for admission.

I also recommend that you base your decisions on where to attend by which schools offer you the best aid, for instance, if a school offers you a full-ride, you should take it. salam
 
Try any reputable state school...

Penn State
Indiana University
University of Vermont 🙂
Pretty much any SUNY school.
California State University, East Bay
Arizona State University or University of Arizona
Iowa State
Texas A&M