What schools to reply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seahorsea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I MEAN WHAT SCHOOL TO APPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I am new to the forum and first I want to say hi to everyone :)

I am ready to apply for school this summer. I have or preferences on which school to apply as long as my classes meet the requirements. I've been aiming at Western University in Pomona simply because its only 10 minutes away from me but I really don't like their PBL system.

Any recommendations on any schools that doesn't have high requirements or require lots of classes?

I still need upper division bio courses but I don't think city colleges in my area offer upper divison courses so I might have to take it at 4 year universities....anyone in the same boat and live in So. Cal as well can give me suggestions?

I think I am just frustrated from all the requirements from difference schools and don't know what exactly to take to make it easier on meeting all the requirements for most of the schools.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't really like the PBL system, I definitely wouldn't apply to Western. It's the one I picked but I liked the style and think it could work well for me. Since the majority of their curriculum is based in that, if you already know you don't like it, you'd just be setting yourself up for 4 years of extra stress if you went there!

But... ahahaha, are you serious? You want a school with no 'high requirements' or 'lots of classes'? You're barking up the wrong profession then. Pretty much all the schools are going to require biochem, organic chem, genetics, physiology, etc. Most of the requirements are the same for every school. And only a crazy person would apply to "most" of the schools -- most people seem to apply to about 5 or under.

(I know the OP sounds rather trolly but hey, sometimes you just feel like answering people's questions, lol.)

Hi! and welcome! First off, I would say that if you don't think PBL would work at all for you then don't apply to Western. I was in a similar situation, I went to undergrad right around there and toured Western 3 years ago and it didn't sit right with me and I know that I wouldn't learn as well with the PBL system so I've already crossed it off my list. You certainly don't want to be miserable following that learning system for four years! (and I think perhaps Cornell does some of this too, others feel free to correct me or add other schools that have a more PBL focus). As you are in California (and probably a California resident?) I'd also aim for Davis.

I think the easiest way to figure out school requirements is just to go through all of them and look them up, it's a pain but with requirements changing every year it is really the only way. Having intro bio, chem, physics, ochem, calc and/or stats, biochem, genetics, and a slew of non-science courses should set you up for a fair number of schools. There are some schools, I can't remember off the top of my head, that will waive humanities reqs if you have a Bachelor's degree. Overall though, every school has high requirements, they want the best after all!

As far as your upper division bio courses, I went to one of the Claremont Colleges and I don't think you can just sign up for courses during the year if you aren't a claremont student but it couldn't hurt to ask! And since you are so close to Western you must be close to Claremont. There is a post-bacch program run through Scripps, which is technically for pre-meds but I see no reason why a pre-vet couldn't do it so you might look into that if you have already graduated. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
no no don't get me wrong...I did have most of the classes fulfilled...what I mean is that some schools require lets say 2 semesters of o chem but some only require 1, or 1 year calculus but some only require 1 semester or not even required or some require 2 bio chem instead of one....

Pick some schools you really think you'd like and focus on the required courses for those schools... that's what I'd do. If that's not how you'd like to do it, then you should probably make a list of what courses you would still need to take for each school you would plausibly be interested in and then decide based on that. We definitely don't have the requirements for everywhere memorized. It just takes some research to figure things out for yourself. Be sure to let us know if you get stuck on something. :)

Last edited:
Trying to take the easiest load possible will not help you once the rigors of vet school and the minimum ~20 credit hours of incredibly tough classes starts up....just a thought. It would be good to get a feel for a real schedule early. I would look towards taking classes you think will benefit you the most and help you through school, not just the easiest ones.