WAMC c/o 2026 * need reply before 29th!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsanc085

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a first time, florida resident, traditional applicant. I have applied to Washington, Florida, Colorado, Illinois, and Cornell.
My GPA is 3.33 but was calculated as a 3.2 on VMCAS. I have two repeated classes and two classes I dropped. There is a significant increase in my grades halfway through my undergrad and this is shown through the classes I have retaken. However since vmcas calculates all grades my vmcas gpa is lower.

I have a lot of experience more than 1000 hours in vet experience, non vet/animal experience, and in different areas. Also worked all through undergrad.

LOR from two vets i worked with, an academic professor, and one from a farmer i worked with. I believe all letters are will really benefit me.

I am scared that the vmcas gpa will lower my chances of getting in. Do schools take a look at the vmcas gpa over the one stated on the official transcript? Are there any other schools I should try to apply to before the 29th deadline that prioritize the official gpa?

Let me know your thoughts! I appreciate all feedback! Thanks!

**EDIT - VMCAS miscalculated my GPA and it is now at a 3.2

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most schools that look at your cumulative GPA look at the total GPA including repeated classes (so they would look at the 3.08). If your science/prereq GPA and last 45 credit GPA is much higher than your cumulative GPA you would probably still have a good chance at schools that value those more, or schools that look at your entire application regardless of GPA.
I don't know much about the application process for Cornell and Washington, but for Colorado there's an early academic review if your cGPA is under 3.2 and there's A LOT of OOS competition because so many people apply there. Last year Florida had some sort of "hidden" GPA cut off for OOS students, but since it's your IS applying there is still a good idea. If you're looking for other schools to apply to that you may have a better chance getting into, you may want to look at Michigan, VMCVM, and UofA. They look at your entire app regardless of GPA and/or just have lower GPA requirements.

Most schools that look at your cumulative GPA look at the total GPA including repeated classes (so they would look at the 3.08). If your science/prereq GPA and last 45 credit GPA is much higher than your cumulative GPA you would probably still have a good chance at schools that value those more, or schools that look at your entire application regardless of GPA.
I don't know much about the application process for Cornell and Washington, but for Colorado there's an early academic review if your cGPA is under 3.2 and there's A LOT of OOS competition because so many people apply there. Last year Florida had some sort of "hidden" GPA cut off for OOS students, but since it's your IS applying there is still a good idea. If you're looking for other schools to apply to that you may have a better chance getting into, you may want to look at Michigan, VMCVM, and UofA. They look at your entire app regardless of GPA and/or just have lower GPA requirements.
The cut off was also for IS students - 3.5 cum

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the tier ranking for WSU. Personally based on your gpas I would reconsider applying to WSU and CSU considering they are both EXTREMELY competitive especially for out of state applicants. Other schools like Kansas,Michigan, and Illinois might be a better option as far as how to best spend your money and get into vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, thanks for responding. I checked my verified vmcas application and it looked like my gpa was miscalculated. I now have a cGPA of 3.2 and my last 45 is at 3.5.. I am not sure if this changes anything, let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for responding. I checked my verified vmcas application and it looked like my gpa was miscalculated. I now have a cGPA of 3.2 and my last 45 is at 3.5.. I am not sure if this changes anything, let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks again!
I think that GPA puts you in a better place for things, but I think it still may be beneficial to apply to schools you overall have a better chance of getting in. Like @MixedAnimals77 said, Illinois, Kansas, and Michigan are good choices. I also think Virginia-Maryland or UofA would be good options!

Look at UF admitted class stats for classes 2024 and 2025. Try Mississippi and Missouri as well as your state funded seat. But, if the trend continues on GPA, you may need another cycle. Good luck and don’t give up, maybe get a Masters and ROCK the program.