This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtMajor

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, below is my info... what med schools do you think should be on my list?? I'm an Arizona resident, so would like to stay in the region, but I'll apply broadly.

GPA- 3.9 Science- 4.0
MCAT- 517 (128 chem,129 cars,130 bio,130 psych)
I'm a white male, majoring in biological sciences. Large state university.

Clinical- Im an EMT for local ambulance service (600 hours), a volunteer emt for my school (60 hours), and took 2 international clinical volunteering trips with a premed club on campus (30 each for 60)

Research- I did wet lab experience for a couple semesters (60 hours), now Ive been a research assistant at Mayo clinic AZ ENT department for a few years, got 2 pubs from it, doing clinical research (350 hours)

Shadowing- Been shadowing through my internship in ENT. Also did a Mayo premed program where I shadowed other ENT's, orthopedics, and nephrology for a total (60 hours)

Nonclinical- A couple years as big brother for big brothers big sisters (300 hours) Habitat for humanity (50 hours)

Extras- Founded and president of premed club on campus (100 hours), student mentor for my college/leadership (60 hours), avid woodworker/hobby (300+ hours)

Schools I will definitely apply for:
U of A Phoenix
U of A Tucson
Mayo Arizona
Mayo Rochester
Baylor
University of Washington
Lots of California Schools (UCLA UCSD etc)
Creighton

Is it worth filling out the TMDAS?? wouldn't mind going to Texas

Some reaches:
Stanford
Georgetown
Duke
Hopkins
Harvard

So what do you guys think? what schools should be on my list, or should not be?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone, below is my info... what med schools do you think should be on my list?? I'm an Arizona resident, so would like to stay in the region, but I'll apply broadly.

GPA- 3.9 Science- 4.0

Clinical- Im an EMT for local ambulance service (600 hours), a volunteer emt for my school (60 hours), and took 2 international clinical volunteering trips with a premed club on campus (30 each for 60)

Research- I did wet lab experience for a couple semesters (60 hours), now Ive been a research assistant at Mayo clinic AZ ENT department for a few years, got 2 pubs from it, doing clinical research (350 hours)

Shadowing- Been shadowing through my internship in ENT. Also did a Mayo premed program where I shadowed other ENT's, orthopedics, and nephrology for a total (60 hours)

Nonclinical- A couple years as big brother for big brothers big sisters (300 hours) Habitat for humanity (50 hours)

Extras- Founded and president of premed club on campus (100 hours), student mentor for my college/leadership (60 hours), avid woodworker/hobby (300+ hours)

U of A Phoenix
U of A Tucson
Mayo Arizona
Mayo Rochester
Baylor
University of Washington
Creighton

Some reaches:
Stanford
Georgetown
Duke
Hopkins
Harvard

UW takes an insignificant amount of out of state residents, like around 1% so cut them out.

Cali schools are a crapshoot for everyone so I would pick 3 and then move on. ( USC, UCLA, and maybe UCSD?)

Add some more schools with MCAT medians around 516/517 aka upper mid tiers like case, UVA, Rochester, Einstein.

@Goro is also one of the resident experts of WAMC

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The international trips will be viewed as medical tourism. everything else is in great shape. Aim high.

I suggest:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson or Temple
U IA
UCLA
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

GPA- 3.9 Science- 4.0

U of A Phoenix
U of A Tucson
Mayo Arizona
Mayo Rochester
Baylor
University of Washington
Creighton

Some reaches:
Stanford
Georgetown
Duke
Hopkins
Harvard

The international trips will be viewed as medical tourism. everything else is in great shape. Aim high.

I suggest:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U AZ (both)
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson or Temple
U IA
UCLA
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Thanks Goro!!! Should I just leave the two trips off the app then?

Thanks Goro!!! Should I just leave the two trips off the app then?
You don't need to necessarily leave them off your app. Just don't draw a lot of attention to them. Don't use them as your most meaningful experience. Don't make them a focal point of your PS. Don't mention doing any medical procedures you would not be allowed to do in the US.

So I realized that I never made the distinction between completed and expected to complete (still confused by this since it says to lis total hours). My actual completed hours are less than the above since I extrapolated out for the year...

For example, completed is at around 250+ hours for my research, and 150 hours completed for non clinical volunteering.

Does this change the list at all @Goro ?

Also should I try and make a distinction on my app for completed vs expected.... the info under the total hours says to include both

So I realized that I never made the distinction between completed and expected to complete (still confused by this since it says to lis total hours). My actual completed hours are less than the above since I extrapolated out for the year...

For example, completed is at around 250+ hours for my research, and 150 hours completed for non clinical volunteering.

Does this change the list at all @Goro ?

Also should I try and make a distinction on my app for completed vs expected.... the info under the total hours says to include both
Still fine.