What Science Grades?

Started by Touray
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Touray

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

I was just curious, when you apply to medical school what science grades are calculated into your gpa? For instance I took lots of astronomy and Geology classes, they really do boost my gpa up. without them my gpa drops signifcantly as far as science grades go.. do these grades count to?? or is it just math, bio, and chem, phys?

If someone could help me I would appreciate it thanx
 
Sorry, but your geology and astronomy grades will not be used in the calculation of your sci GPA for AMCAS. Of course, they will be used for your overall GPA.

BCPM (bio, chem, physics, math) for your sci. GPA calculation.

[This message has been edited by 1918 (edited 06-19-2000).]
 
How about graduate school grades? Are those counted in gpa calculation at all?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, graduate grades are your Graduate GPA, though post-bac grades can be counted for undergrad (since they are indeed undergrad classes)
 
Touray,

I know some schools that don't even count astronomy courses in your cumulative GPA, let alone your science GPA (one of them is I think U of Calgary or Alberta in Canada).