What score will make you retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdan

SDN Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a happy applicant if I'm 26+; retake in Aug if 25 or less.

What about you?

dc

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I won't be happy with below a 30, but I won't retake if it is above a 26.

agreed...happiness is one thing...willing to retake...quite another :p

I've actually discussed this with one of my friends pretty extensively. She and I were thinking of a scenario in which we got a 28 or 27 - just below a 30, but still not necessarily close enough to get in somewhere! I'm thinking that probably anything below a 29 I'd have to retake...but maybe things will change after tomorrow :(

i retook with a 26, mainly because there was 1 subject was kind of off.... so help me god, im never taking it again though!! my amcas is filled out and [more or less] ready to go...

I am absolutely retaking with less than a 10 in each section. This is even more likely if my overall score is less than 30.

These guys should release these scores so I know August is or isn't a possibility. I'm getting hyper.

I'm not retaking, period. I'll live with this score, whether good or bad. But I'm pretty confident it's good.

I will be satisfied with a score of 9 or more in each section, but I would really prefer 10 or higher in each. Overall, 30 or higher is acceptable, but I wouldn't be too quick to register for August with a 28 or 29.

Even though I'm already in medical school, I'm going to retake the MCAT next year. I know I can do better.

liverotcod said:
I'm not retaking, period. I'll live with this score, whether good or bad. But I'm pretty confident it's good.

<27 = retake for me :/

sacrament said:
Even though I'm already in medical school, I'm going to retake the MCAT next year. I know I can do better.

What the focking shaiz at though talking about :D? I think med school is too easy for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program only requires 8s and an M so anything below that... but lets hope for the best after two years of college:luck: :luck:

UCLAstudent said:
I won't be happy with below a 30, but I won't retake if it is above a 26.

I agree with your UCLAstudent. Since this is my second effort, I will probably not retake at all. Maybe apply to more schools.

liverotcod said:
I really, really hope you're joking.

Joking? Every night I have to lie in bed and try to sleep, knowing that I didn't achieve my full potential. Maybe doing something half-assed is good enough for y'all, but I like to excel. Yeah, I got acceptances at a lot of medical schools. That and a buck-fifty will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks... the shame of not performing at my very highest will linger until I put it to rest once and for all.

sacrament said:
Joking? Every night I have to lie in bed and try to sleep, knowing that I didn't achieve my full potential. Maybe doing something half-assed is good enough for y'all, but I like to excel. Yeah, I got acceptances at a lot of medical schools. That and a buck-fifty will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks... the shame of not performing at my very highest will linger until I put it to rest once and for all.

so are u deferring from the med schools u got into? or are u reapplying with ur soon-to-be super mcat score?

miscellany said:
so are u deferring from the med schools u got into? or are u reapplying with ur soon-to-be super mcat score?

No no, I'm in medical school. I just finished my second year.

sacrament said:

OK, now I understand. But you can't go back, you know. Retaking it won't wipe out your earlier performance in your own mind. Why not focus instead on the boards and really rock them? That's a bigger challenge and one that's still ahead of you, rather than in the past. Everyone screws things up - I REALLY screwed things up for several of my undergraduate years. I regret that, but acing my retakes of classes I took back in my "dark" years hasn't made the failures go away. I still have regrets.

I guess my unasked-for advice is to look forward, not back. You have plenty of challenges and chances for redemption ahead.

sacrament said:

You definitely fit the profile of those who suffer from small penis syndrome...are you of short stature and balding too? :laugh: Give me a break...take the acceptance...start medschool, graduate and become an MD (or DO)....don't waste your time...RESIDENCIES don't care what you got on the MCAT...why don't you start preparing for the USMLE....memorize some body parts or something of that nature.

I retook after getting a 32 last august.

liverotcod said:
Roger that. I hereby retract my silly post. There ARE people that do that, though, I'll bet.

If such a person exists, I'd like to meet them so that I can perform the murder personally.

sacrament said:
If such a person exists, I'd like to meet them so that I can perform the murder personally.

See, now, that's the wrong attitude. When I thought you were for real, my plan was to distract you by keeping you on SDN while my secret operatives moved in to perform the execution.

sacrament said:
And right on time, it's proof of Sac's Second Theory! (see above link)

Tee hee hee. :laugh: I think I feel good that I can generally only be fooled once.

I'll have to retake if I get less than a 28. My overall GPA isn't great due to classes that I took 10 frickn years ago. Just to be safe, I started looking over material last week. I was finishing up Phys 2 and Orgo 2 when I took it in April, so, maybe I can raise my PS score now that I've had optics and electro-stuff. Not too worried about the Orgo though. It was generally my strongest area. I can tell you, however; that this thread is a good indication of who will be freaking out waiting for Board scores!!! :laugh:

well, knowing little else about a particular poster, anything said COULD very well be true... no matter how outrageous. all it takes is one person.. or in ur case, a misguided 2L with serious self-esteem/ego issues.

that said, i generally do not codone flames but here's a cookie for the entertainment!

I anticipate a 23 or higher. If I get a 23 or higher, I will not retake the MCAT. I have a very strong GPA (4.0), a lot of ec's, and ties to a medical school. And since I want to be a DO, a 23 will probably get me in. I think a greater challenge than blowing the MCAT away is to score the minimum possible and get in. That is true victory over the MCAT beast!

stinkycheese said:
Anything below a 30. Or, if any section is below a 9.

give or take a couple of points, 30 is pretty much the normal target score for not retaking. i did meet this kid a while back who got a 34 and wanted to retake... i think he did! =P

27 to 28 minimum sounds like a good range... enough not to retake and still be competitive enough for allopathic schools given other good stats...
no one should actually want to put themselves through this experience again.. it's just too much... everything from studying to taking to waiting for scores!
This was my second attempt and I WILL NOT retake this thing again... It's completely destroyed any social life I could've had in the last two years of my undergrad (took April 03 and April 04)... and nothing could bring back those years now... I would rather consider Masters/DO/Carrib options... can't be trippin' on this exam forever... that would be foolish!

i really don't know. i keep saying my goal is a 32, but if i get a 30 or 31 i won't retake. but the thing is, i don't want to retake at all. if someone told me i could get in for sure with a 28 or 29 or whatever i would not want to retake. i guess at midnight we'll see if i have to make a tough decision or if i can just be happy with my score.

laura :)

I have no desire to retake, but i guess i would with less than a 30... depends on how desperate i feel to improve... sigh ... but hopefully none of us will have to worry about it :D <thinks happy thoughts> we'll be fine... right?

Cerb and I are rowing the same boat. Or perhaps I will sit and watch him row.

We sink with the same scores, I'm afraid.

yea guess we're all in that same boat... but why do i feel like we might get shipwrecked and stranded on some deserted island? :p

sacrament said:

Someone I knew got a 1590 on the SAT, and retook it to get a 1600. Maybe not as much prep required as for the MCAT, but still...