What shoes do you wear on Interview day if it's snowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamiheatfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never seen snow in my entire life haha. I am flying tomorrow to go to an interview where it will be snowing for sure! I'm so excited to make a snowball for the first time! Back to the point haha, a friend told me that if I don't wear certain shoes then they will be ruined by the snow. What do you wear when it snows on interview day? I bought a pair of huge plastic black boots at the store does that work? Also should I have an umbrella for snow? These may be ridiculous questions but I'm from a place where "winter" means 45 degrees for 5 days of the year so sorry haha:D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Umbrella.
For snow.

wat.

Wear a suit. Wear a heavy jacket over-top of it if necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
LOL at umbrella for snow. Sorry man, that's kinda funny.

Just wear boots while getting to the interview place and then switch into shoes. Or you can be really G and wear three layers of plastic bags over your shoes. Just try not to slip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, umbrella if actively snowing because it totally sucks having a bunch of heavy, wet snow that sticks to you outside and then immediately melts inside making you look like a drowned rat. Wear different shoes (aka not pumps or your shiny dress shoes) to commute to the school, then change into your nice shoes once inside the building.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, I figured it would be much colder in Miami now that the Heat have fizzled out. ;)

Yes, umbrella if actively snowing because it totally sucks having a bunch of heavy, wet snow that sticks to you outside and then immediately melts inside making you look like a drowned rat. Wear different shoes (aka not pumps or your shiny dress shoes) to commute to the school, then change into your nice shoes once inside the building.
Maybe if you're going on a hike or something. A hat and a coat is more than okay for weathering the snow.

Fair point. I was thinking along the lines of snow not actively falling. My mistake.

Maybe if you're going on a hike or something. A hat and a coat is more than okay for weathering the snow.

And by hike, we can mean a 5 min walk between the bus stop and the school, or whatever. Having lived in a place where it snows and having to go outside to get places for most of my life, I don't underestimate how wet I can get in a very short period of time.

Somebody is trying to leave the sunshine state :rolleyes:

Ok, gonna go enjoy 80°F outside now :p

We had our first real cold day yesterday. Coincidentally, I started considering the University of Miami much more seriously.

Reactions: 2 users

Haha Florida has its ups and downs lol but I do love the weather haha! Sometimes it rains out of no where too much or is way too hot!

These!

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aae...1416064007669/medium/JustinBoots_BR372_15.jpg

I have never seen snow in my entire life haha. I am flying tomorrow to go to an interview where it will be snowing for sure! I'm so excited to make a snowball for the first time! Back to the point haha, a friend told me that if I don't wear certain shoes then they will be ruined by the snow. What do you wear when it snows on interview day? I bought a pair of huge plastic black boots at the store does that work? Also should I have an umbrella for snow? These may be ridiculous questions but I'm from a place where "winter" means 45 degrees for 5 days of the year so sorry haha:D

Reactions: 2 users
Are you male or female? If you're female:

- I found it easier to wear a skirt suit because with pant suits, the hem can get really dirtied by the snow if you're not careful. If your pantyhose gets dirty in the snow, it's easy enough to change them later.
- problem with wearing boots on the way to the interview is that it's inconvenient and bulky to carry around and store. You're going to want to change your shoes for the tour as well. I'd suggest getting some waterproof flats with good grip (look for "rain flats") or some ankle boots that'll fit easily into your bag. You can probably get by with knee high boots too if you prefer. I did see a girl come to the interview (on a day it was snowing badly) in boots, and stay in her boots all day until her actual interview (which was after the tour), and change at that point.
- If it's actively snowing and the tour goes outside, bring a jacket with a hood, so your hair doesn't get wet and messy looking. Don't underestimate how wet you can get in even just 5 minutes.
- Usually if it's snowing/raining outside, students and admissions offices will try to help you out--cut the tour short or minimize time spent outside, some schools even had umbrellas for applicants to use, etc.

Wow very good to know! Thank you all for the responses!

New Englander here! You should definitely use an umbrella if it is actually snowing, especially if it is closer to freezing and the snow will be wetter (great for snowballs!). It isn't so much the snow that will ruin your shoes, but the salt! If it is really bad, I would recommend wearing boots and changing into your dress shoes, or you can buy these covers that go over your shoes as well called galoshes:

http://www.blacklapel.com/thecompass/the-winter-survival-guide-to-dress-shoes/

And here is a pig modeling some fabulous red galoshes. Doesn't he look smart?:
IQmfS.jpg

Reactions: 6 users