What should a physician include in a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pls.stop2018

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering what I should have a physician that I have shadowed for 100+ hours over 3 years include in his letter of recommendation. I feel like maybe have him mention more of my personality, how I interacted with his patients, how I acted in a medical environment, etc. I believe it should have a different perspective than my other 3 LORs from my professors, since they're an academic setting. Additionally, when I asked him to write the letter he acted kind of like he doesn't write that many (which makes sense, he practices in a small town). I just want to make sure that I make it as easy as possible for him to write by having clear guidelines on what he should write and that he effectively represents me. Any advice/tips?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Something that says, this guy/gal is the real deal. Not, “oh he/she is hardworking and will definitely succeed in the field.” Examples help but nothing too in depth
 
The same thing that any other letter of recommendation should say.

If you have a good MD/DO letter, it could be a boon. The problem is that most of them aren’t good because people shadow a guy for 20 hours and then ask for a letter.