What should be my plan for matching anesthesia from a prelim spot next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayhow92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't match into anesthesia this cycle but have a prelim spot. I am still scrambling for remaining advanced positions, but I need to have a plan for next cycle. Couple questions

1) Do I apply to C, A, and/or R positions from a prelim spot?

2) Would I be able to go straight into CA-1 year from any positions? Or is it program-dependent?

Members don't see this ad.

Categorical if you don’t mind repeat your intern year. You’ll be repeating your intern year.
Advance spot, you’re interviewing for spot two years from now. You’ll have a gap year.
R spot? That was for someone who already finish a residency? I don’t remember anymore.
As you can see, for option 1 and 2 you will be interviewing for something to start ca1 two years from now. You’ll need to keep your eyes open for someone dropping out somewhere along the way. Only then you may find a position as a ca1 2020 July.

In the mean time, figure out why you didn’t match. Did you have any interviews? Do you have red flags? Did you over-reach? Not ranking enough? Regardless, you probably should get some support from your med school, if you have an okay relationship with them. If your hospital have a anesthesia program, get to know the program.

Good luck. I hope you’ll end up where you want to be.

Have been following OP's posts. Congrats on the prelim position.

For your next cycle, your best chance would be the R spots, where you can go straight to CA1 year should you match.
Agree with IMGASMD that if you match into a categorical spot, you'd have to repeat the intern year; and that if you match into an advanced spot you'd get a gap year. Of course if you can find an advanced spot before next cycle, you should be able to transition to CA1 next year

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response guys.

Why does applying for an advance spot require a gap between but an R spot does not?

And I had 8 interviews (USMD, 250/251, CS 1st pass, with no apparent red flags) at top to mid tier programs. I will be (hopefully) finding out what were reasons that caused me not to match when I talk to my PD soon.

R spots are "reserved" for those who have finished PGY1 so you can pick up the rest of your training the summer after match day. For example, if you apply for a R spot in September 2019 and match into an R spot in March 2020, you start your CA1 year July 2020.

In the case of advanced (A) spots, if you apply in September 2019 and match in March 2020, you are expected to start your CA1 year in 2021, not 2020. Think of it as someone who applied this cycle and matched this week to both a prelim and an advanced spots. He/she will start their prelim year this summer but advanced position in July 2020. Advanced spots are basically promised with a later starting date.

Reactions: 1 user
R spots are "reserved" for those who have finished PGY1 so you can pick up the rest of your training the summer after match day. For example, if you apply for a R spot in September 2019 and match into an R spot in March 2020, you start your CA1 year July 2020.

In the case of advanced (A) spots, if you apply in September 2019 and match in March 2020, you are expected to start your CA1 year in 2021, not 2020. Think of it as someone who applied this cycle and matched this week to both a prelim and an advanced spots. He/she will start their prelim year this summer but advanced position in July 2020. Advanced spots are basically promised with a later starting date.

Thanks for clearing that up. You definitely saved me from some potential future complications down the line. So it sounds best for me next cycle to apply to every R spot possible while falling back on C spots to repeat PGY-1 and/or A spots and finding some between the time.

Thanks for the response guys.

Why does applying for an advance spot require a gap between but an R spot does not?

And I had 8 interviews (USMD, 250/251, CS 1st pass, with no apparent red flags) at top to mid tier programs. I will be (hopefully) finding out what were reasons that caused me not to match when I talk to my PD soon.

Advance spot is for someone who wants to do prelim somewhere else, then come to the program for anesthesia training. So for 2019 cycle, 2020 July starts their intern year. 2021 is when they start anesthesia training.

With your stat I think you’ll find something, probably starts right away if you find them before they are snatched up. Connect with your home PD, not just some random anesthesia attending. They have more info and connections. If you’re good and have good relationship with your school, they may even open up a spot for you? TBH, they may have put you lower on their list, since they may think you weren’t going to put them high.
Tough situation, OP.

Advance spot is for someone who wants to do prelim somewhere else, then come to the program for anesthesia training. So for 2019 cycle, 2020 July starts their intern year. 2021 is when they start anesthesia training.

With your stat I think you’ll find something, probably starts right away if you find them before they are snatched up. Connect with your home PD, not just some random anesthesia attending. TBH, they may have put you lower on their list, since they may think you weren’t going to put them high.
Tough situation, OP.

Yea, definitely a rare and unlucky scenario I'm in, but I'm trying to make the most of it. Thanks for the responses.

I been in contact with my PD and they have been helping me scramble for the few A spots left contact their PD. I'm hoping having my PD reach out to their PDs can get me in before July.

Yea, definitely a rare and unlucky scenario I'm in, but I'm trying to make the most of it. Thanks for the responses.

I been in contact with my PD and they have been helping me scramble for the few A spots left contact their PD. I'm hoping having my PD reach out to their PDs can get me in before July.

Hoping you get a CA1 spot. Please update the thread when you do!

Hope you scramble into an advanced spot. If you don't, definitely apply to all R spots but C spots should be your priority. You'll have to repeat intern year, but many categorical intern years for anesthesia are pretty chill...a lot more chill than a prelim medicine or surgery year. A word of caution for the R spots though....there are many top tier applicants given that there are many applicants switching out from other programs into anesthesia as well as applicants who have finished residency in a different specialty and decided to do a whole new residency (I've seen ENT, EM, and several pediatrics). Furthermore, many R spots are given to internal candidates from their own institution. At my med school there was always a couple R spots and one would always be filled by someone switching from their surgery program. Just a heads up that although you should apply to R spots next year, assume that you won't get one and go to all your categorical and advanced interviews.

Another thing is that if we assume that this was just a fluke and you really have no red flags, if you apply again to categorical you will likely get into a top to mid tier program. It may be worth spending 1 extra year vs scrambling into a less desirable program.

Last edited: