What should I be doing (re: Step 1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBeethoven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
abcdef

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I am a second-year US MD student who will be taking Step 1 in early June.

My second-year curriculum has been systems-based, and each block ends with an NBME shelf exam that's usually ~50% of our grade. I've been preparing for each block with the usual resources (FA, Pathoma, Uworld) but as my Step 1 date draws nearer, I'm worried that I'm forgetting information from the beginning of the year because each block I focus solely on the system that I'm studying.

Do you recommend that I add something to my study regimen to refresh material I learned in previous blocks, or continue my current approach (I'm satisfied with my grades) and use my dedicated study time to review all older material (my dedicated time is slightly over a month)? If so, do you suggest I try to implement Zanki, or redo old Uworld questions, or simply review First Aid chapters?

Thank you for your feedback.
I'd be starting a slow first pass of UW about three to four months out from the exam. For now, annotate First Aid with relevant tidbits and do what you're doing.