What should I be working on? Critique my gap year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pnwhmt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm graduating December 2017, taking the MCAT and applying 2018. Hoping you can take a look and make some suggestions on what to focus on in the next year and a half...

1. Do I need more research experience to be considered competitive?
2. Do I need clinical volunteer experience given all my clinical hours scribing and interaction with people in my non-clinical volunteering?

Senior graduating in December 2017, applying in 2018 - Took a break between high school and college so will be 27 by the time I apply.

Neuroscience major - cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.9ish

Taking MCAT April 2018

Research
* Awarded a small grant last summer for undergrad research, probably about 150 hours. Did not result in papers/posters/etc.
* I am currently doing a literature review project which will result in poster and presentation at research showcase on campus, not sure if this counts at all or is worth mentioning.

Clinical experience
* Currently have about 1100 hours scribing spread between main ED, pediatric ED and ACU/UC/fast track. Should have about 2500 by time of application.
* Will also have hours scribing with trauma docs by then.

Shadowing
* No shadowing hours currently.
* Will be shadowing ortho, primary care and OBGYN, all at rural hospital... Hoping to get 50 to 100 hours in total.

Volunteering
* Currently in the process of training to become a domestic violence advocate. Will take calls on hotline as well as work with survivors at a gender inclusive shelter. Anticipating a few hundred hours at least. (Grew up in home with significant domestic violence, very meaningful experience for me.)
* Will be working throughout the fall 2018 semester and possibly beyond as a mentor to 9th graders on a weekly basis with a focus on health education.
* Needle exchange. Will have about 200 hours by time of application. Possibly other positions with this organization as well that focuses on homeless youth/drug addiction/underserved communities.

ECs and hobbies
* Co-organizer and founder of premed meet up group in large city.
* Co-organizer of 700 person neuroscience meet up group.
* Member of neuroscience and AMSA clubs on campus.
* Previously wrote for community college newspaper
* Runner. Signed up for half marathon in September.

Employment history
* 1 year of retail experience
* 1 year of sales experience
* 6 years in food service, 3 of these being upper management positions with heavy leadership component

Members don't see this ad.

If you can count your research hours, you will probably need more.

Reactions: 1 users
Your clinical exposure, volunteering, and leadership seem pretty great. Your research is sufficient -- if you're really hoping for a top research school,you should probably consider more research. But for most schools the scribing, domestic abuse advocate, and needle exchange would be great.

Reactions: 1 user