What should I do after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubledummy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone...:)..I just finished all my interviews last week...I don't know if it is necessary to emaill the programs and ask them if they will rank me...Basically, I feel I need to do something beside waiting...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone...:)..I just finished all my interviews last week...I don't know if it is necessary to emaill the programs and ask them if they will rank me...Basically, I feel I need to do something beside waiting...

Did you send your thank you notes to everyone you interviewed with?

Send all the people who interviewed you thank you cards. They're not supposed to tell you who they rank and how they rank, so you won't get an answer even if you choose to ask, and personally I don't think you should ask...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. About the thank you letters, I sent them as an emails:oops:, though I feel it is insufficient...
email or card?
email. why?
1. Emails can be seen in 24 hours after interviews, but cards take time to get there.
2. Avoid a risk that they don't like a card I pick. Not I hate my taste, just don't want to be challenged again..
3. In the email, I touched some questions I didn't get right in interviews. I just hate to image they find a dusty card in the bottom of a piled paper from a stranger with half life of plavix...
4. Or, I am just lazy...
I might be wrong...What do u think?..:)

Thanks for the advice. About the thank you letters, I sent them as an emails:oops:, though I feel it is insufficient...
email or card?
email. why?
1. Emails can be seen in 24 hours after interviews, but cards take time to get there.
2. Avoid a risk that they don't like a card I pick. Not I hate my taste, just don't want to be challenged again..
3. In the email, I touched some questions I didn't get right in interviews. I just hate to image they find a dusty card in the bottom of a piled paper from a stranger with half life of plavix...
4. Or, I am just lazy...
I might be wrong...What do u think?..:)

As someone who prefers to receive handwritten cards to e-mails (though sending/not sending anything at all doesn't make or break a candidate, it's just a matter of extra fluff in building rapport/chemistry that helps to decide between two (or more) otherwise very, very similar candidates):
1. So it's a couple days later, who cares. An e-mail doesn't take any effort, and if I really did put time and energy into preparing to interview you (that's quite a while, to review the CV, and letter of intent, and letters of recommendation, and think of the best questions to ask you - so they are actually interesting and meaningful, rather than some generic questions), and into interviewing you (believe me, it can be hard work), and maybe even showing you around - then I want to see some effort on your side.
2. Two words: blank inside.
3. There is no reason you can't mention those points in the thank-you card. I always did.
3a. I get over a hundred e-mails a day, but maybe a few pieces of real mail a week. And those little envelopes that you KNOW have something nice to say just warm your heart. :D

Some people I know brought thank-you cards with them to Midyear and were filling them out at the end of the day to get them in within 24 hours, but I personally thought that was a bit tacky... no one is going to mind a couple days, I would rather see a thoughtfully written card. :) But again, I am the N=1, though everyone I know likes receiving thank-you cards in the mail. :D

I am glad to see that - because I don't always get mine out within 24 hours (as much as I'd like to) and I'm glad to see the effort is appreciated even if it takes a couple days to get there.

Now, I feel really really guilty...No complain, if they don't pick me...I broke their hearts...en...today is 02/24, if they can wait two days, two weeks is better than nothing. Thanks for your great advices! :)

I am glad to see that - because I don't always get mine out within 24 hours (as much as I'd like to) and I'm glad to see the effort is appreciated even if it takes a couple days to get there.
Don't sweat it - the rule of thumb is "send within 24 hours" not "receive in 24 hours", because once it's out there, it's at the mercy of the US postal service. Within the same metro area, it's a safe bet delivery will occur next day, but going from California to New York will take a couple days... :)

Try bribery... It works with me! :thumbup:

j/k

Bribery, sounds risky, I am not good at sneaking in their officers or find their homes...I'd rather stick on "send cards 3 weeks late, then desperatedly wait, praying off and on...". Unless you have a plan. I don't mind to bribe, on a small budget...

Don't sweat it - the rule of thumb is "send within 24 hours" not "receive in 24 hours", because once it's out there, it's at the mercy of the US postal service. Within the same metro area, it's a safe bet delivery will occur next day, but going from California to New York will take a couple days... :)

Oh no...I sent my thank you notes within the week after. I wasn't feeling very good so I waited a couple of days. OMG, I hope that doesn't mean anything...plus my writing isn't the neatest either. I tried to be neat. Hopefully, they were able to read them. :scared:

Some people I know brought thank-you cards with them to Midyear and were filling them out at the end of the day to get them in within 24 hours, but I personally thought that was a bit tacky... no one is going to mind a couple days, I would rather see a thoughtfully written card.

Yep, I was part of that "tacky" crowd :D. Then again, everyone and their mothers were doing the same thing.

I remember back after the fellowship and residency interviews, in my hotel, I was handwriting all those Thank-You notes. Making sure they looked presentable...neat...etc... My hand was dying by the end of the night.

Good times.

Oh no...I sent my thank you notes within the week after. I wasn't feeling very good so I waited a couple of days. OMG, I hope that doesn't mean anything...plus my writing isn't the neatest either. I tried to be neat. Hopefully, they were able to read them. :scared:

Breathe. You're fine. We will [hopefully] still remember who you are a week later, and it will still mean just as much.