What should I do and what are the odds for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBD Tex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a new member to this forum, even though I have read many posts people have placed here. I had a brief question, I am currently doing pre-med at Boston University (Does grade deflation) majoring in biochemistry and molecular biology, my cumulative GPA is a 2.8 and my MCAT score is a 33. I have done past research as well. I am supposed to graduate this May'13. Should I stay in undergrad for another semester and repeat courses to raise my GPA or graduate and do a post bacc or something of the sort? Money is not an issue in regards to applying to different programs etc. Also, what schools (MD) would you all recommend for me to apply to?

Please help me, I'd greatly appreciate any input or feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

none. your GPA is too low for MD.. and retaking classes isn't going to do much because AMCAS doesn't do grade replacement. you say grade deflation like a 2.8 from boston = 3.7 from anywhere else. sorry bro. no dice. what is your state of residency? what i recommend is to do fantastically on your last semester to get your gpa as close to 3.0 as possible and then apply to SMPs. This is all assuming you have great ECs.

Adcoms are generally not impressed with retaking courses because you've seen the same information before. Unless you got Ds, there's really no need.

But you're double majoring in very difficult areas, so that will certainly be a factor in your application.

Your MCAT is solid.

What's your grade trend like?
Has it been going up?
Was there a point where you realized that you needed better grades to achieve your life goals?

I would not recommend staying in your UG because
1. It's very expensive
2. You can retake those same classes at a state school, for a lot cheaper.
3. If by retaking those classes you are trying to show that you've matured and now see the reasons for your past mistakes in a new light, you should go get some research under your belt (work in a lab) and take classes at the same time. That will show that you have some working experience, and that you're able to time manage well.

Also what are your extracurricular like? That would be good to know for a better answer.

Hello,
I am a new member to this forum, even though I have read many posts people have placed here. I had a brief question, I am currently doing pre-med at Boston University (Does grade deflation) majoring in biochemistry and molecular biology, my cumulative GPA is a 2.8 and my MCAT score is a 33. I have done past research as well. I am supposed to graduate this May'13. Should I stay in undergrad for another semester and repeat courses to raise my GPA or graduate and do a post bacc or something of the sort? Money is not an issue in regards to applying to different programs etc. Also, what schools (MD) would you all recommend for me to apply to?

Please help me, I'd greatly appreciate any input or feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Adcoms are generally not impressed with retaking courses because you've seen the same information before. Unless you got Ds, there's really no need."

Unless you apply DO in which case you can have a big impact on your gpa.

"But you're double majoring in very difficult areas, so that will certainly be a factor in your application."

It's more likely to indicate weak judgement to many (and that's only if you get by the numerical screens at many schools).

"Your MCAT is solid."

True!

Hey everyone,
I am new to the site. Basically I just graduate in May with a 3.4 ish undergrad gpa. I am enrolled in a post bacc program looking for academic enhancement but I didnt do so well my first semester. My adviser was suggesting that I give up the dream but I dont think it would be a good idea. I know it was an off time but I know that my gpa will be up this semester. I was looking into completing this program and applying to an ms program or medical school for the fall 14 semester. I am just curious about retaking courses after graduation. Is there a limit as to how many times one can retake a class? And do post bacc classes help in being competitive in applying to med school?

Adcoms are generally not impressed with retaking courses because you've seen the same information before. Unless you got Ds, there's really no need.

But you're double majoring in very difficult areas, so that will certainly be a factor in your application.

Your MCAT is solid.

What's your grade trend like?
Has it been going up?
Was there a point where you realized that you needed better grades to achieve your life goals?

I would not recommend staying in your UG because
1. It's very expensive
2. You can retake those same classes at a state school, for a lot cheaper.
3. If by retaking those classes you are trying to show that you've matured and now see the reasons for your past mistakes in a new light, you should go get some research under your belt (work in a lab) and take classes at the same time. That will show that you have some working experience, and that you're able to time manage well.

Also what are your extracurricular like? That would be good to know for a better answer.

Basically my grade trend shows I screwed up my 1st 2-3 semesters in school and didn't take the classes seriously enough, hence my low gpa. As for it increasing, yes it has gradually increased over time, unfortunately for me not enough per semester making 3.2-3.4 term gpa. And yes, when I took my mcat I had already readjusted my priorities. My adviser said my gpa should be a 3.1 after this semester, 1 school in the northeast that my cousin attended residency and now practices at gave me a conditional letter stating what I need to do to be accepted so I am pushing hard to meet those requirements, otherwise it looks like smp is the way ill have to go.

"Adcoms are generally not impressed with retaking courses because you've seen the same information before. Unless you got Ds, there's really no need."

Unless you apply DO in which case you can have a big impact on your gpa.

"But you're double majoring in very difficult areas, so that will certainly be a factor in your application."

It's more likely to indicate weak judgement to many (and that's only if you get by the numerical screens at many schools).

"Your MCAT is solid."

True!

I'm saving DO as my last resort, if smp falls through, in terms of not aiding me to get in MD even if I pull a high gpa.

Yeah, my parents told me if I can't put in enough time to study then I shouldn't double major... one of those "I told you so" moments when I should have listened to my parents.

none. your GPA is too low for MD.. and retaking classes isn't going to do much because AMCAS doesn't do grade replacement. you say grade deflation like a 2.8 from boston = 3.7 from anywhere else. sorry bro. no dice. what is your state of residency? what i recommend is to do fantastically on your last semester to get your gpa as close to 3.0 as possible and then apply to SMPs. This is all assuming you have great ECs.

Well, I never really said that grade deflation meant that a 2.8 at boston equates to 3.7 at other institutions. My professors round down grades and certain science classes don't give A's if you bleed for it. My school has a history of doing this and still does it...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/07/education/07education.html?_r=0

I'm just looking for advise, to supplement what my adviser and others have told me to see how it differs. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself so I rescind my original statement if that how it may have come off to be. As for giving up, not happening. Right now I'm looking at a few SMP's school to go to with the help of some connections and recommendations.

Basically my grade trend shows I screwed up my 1st 2-3 semesters in school and didn't take the classes seriously enough, hence my low gpa. As for it increasing, yes it has gradually increased over time, unfortunately for me not enough per semester making 3.2-3.4 term gpa. And yes, when I took my mcat I had already readjusted my priorities. My adviser said my gpa should be a 3.1 after this semester, 1 school in the northeast that my cousin attended residency and now practices at gave me a conditional letter stating what I need to do to be accepted so I am pushing hard to meet those requirements, otherwise it looks like smp is the way ill have to go.

Yes, an SMP would be your best option.
You've already taken science classes.

The graduate coursework will let you distance yourself from your undergrad performance. In addition, you can focus entirely on grades while you're there.

Now you need to decide whether you want a 1 or two year SMP program.
If you opt for the latter you'll have time at the end of first year to study for and retake your MCAT, something commonly done because those courses teach a lot of MCAT material.
Check out the SMP thread for more info under the post-bacc sub forum

Yes, an SMP would be your best option.
You've already taken science classes.

The graduate coursework will let you distance yourself from your undergrad performance. In addition, you can focus entirely on grades while you're there.

Now you need to decide whether you want a 1 or two year SMP program.
If you opt for the latter you'll have time at the end of first year to study for and retake your MCAT, something commonly done because those courses teach a lot of MCAT material.
Check out the SMP thread for more info under the post-bacc sub forum

Thank You, I will look into it asap.

It is hazardous to re-take a good MCAT (unless it has expired). Only three outcomes are possible. Two of them hurt you and the third won't help much.

31 is more than good enough to get into many fine schools (You're not in CA are you?).

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hazardous to re-take a good MCAT (unless it has expired). Only three outcomes are possible. Two of them hurt you and the third won't help much.

31 is more than good enough to get into many fine schools (You'r not in CA are you?).

I took my only MCAT in August of 2012. And my state of residence is Texas.

I have a friend who graduated from BU with a Chemistry degree with a GPA in the 2.6 - 2.8 range. He did an SMP at Tufts and did well and is now in MD school in Virginia....

I have a friend who graduated from BU with a Chemistry degree with a GPA in the 2.6 - 2.8 range. He did an SMP at Tufts and did well and is now in MD school in Virginia....

Thank's for the heads up, I guess if there's anytime to show that I've finally gotten everything in order, it would be while attending my SMP.

Last edited: