This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Apply this summer for early admissions.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait until next year.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sarplaninac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In order to be able to finish all of my pharmacy pre-requisites I would have to take two summer courses (microbiology and calculus) in order to have all my coursework done by winter of 2018.( After the summer I would still have 4 pharm pre-requisites.) My gpa is not the best as I have retaken anatomy and physiology with a better grade, but my advisor said that if I do well on the pcat (which I would have to take in july) and apply for early admission I would have a greater chance of being accepted. Another route would be not taking those summer classes and postponing everything back a year (including when I would start pharm school), which makes me feel like a failure to think about considering I just finished sophomore year. Right now I feel extremely overwhelmed with the pressure of having to do 2 summer classes, study for the pcat and take it in July, and have all the early admission work done and turned in by September 6th. Please give me some advice or thoughts on what to do it would all be greatly appreciated, I'm also a pharmacy tech if it helps with any decisions. I guess what I'm really worried about is being able to take the pcat and finish application by the due date.

Members don't see this ad.

In order to be able to finish all of my pharmacy pre-requisites I would have to take two summer courses (microbiology and calculus) in order to have all my coursework done by winter of 2018.( After the summer I would still have 4 pharm pre-requisites.) My gpa is not the best as I have retaken anatomy and physiology with a better grade, but my advisor said that if I do well on the pcat (which I would have to take in july) and apply for early admission I would have a greater chance of being accepted. Another route would be not taking those summer classes and postponing everything back a year (including when I would start pharm school), which makes me feel like a failure to think about considering I just finished sophomore year. Right now I feel extremely overwhelmed with the pressure of having to do 2 summer classes, study for the pcat and take it in July, and have all the early admission work done and turned in by September 6th. Please give me some advice or thoughts on what to do it would all be greatly appreciated, I'm also a pharmacy tech if it helps with any decisions. I guess what I'm really worried about is being able to take the pcat and finish application by the due date.

GPA and PCAT score will get you an interview. The better your GPA, the better your PCAT score and the earlier you apply, the better chance of getting an interview. After getting an interview, acceptance only depends upon the passion you show for pharmacy and your interview skills. It also greatly depends on the specific school(s) you're applying to. Look at their average GPA and PCAT scores of the past few entering years. If your GPA is close, and you truly are passionate, I say go for it!
On the other hand, you should never feel like a failure for not abiding to everyone else's socially accepted view of what a right "timeline" for applying is. I am applying to pharmacy school this summer, 2 years after graduating with a biochem degree. After graduation I took the MCAT and applied to anesthesiology assistant school. I got into the first round of interviews with only 4 other applicants. FORTUNATELY, I was denied. I wasn't prepared for the interview and it made me realize that I wasn't truly passionate for the career. If it had not been for that, I would not be set on a career in pharmacy. If you have doubts about the interview or your career in pharmacy, take another year to figure it out.