General What should I do as a re-applicant (low GPA)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My situation is a little complicated, but maybe not.

I attended a university from 2012-2018, where I graduated with a biology degree. I finished my degree requirements in 5 years, and took an extra year of upper division science courses to boost my science GPA, which ended up at 2.88, and cGPA is around 3.1. I applied to the 2018-2019 cycle and got 2 II from my state medical schools (MD), and got rejected by one, and waiting to be most likely rejected by the other one. my MCAT is 506 (127,123,130,126). I applied to a few D.O. schools as well but I got screened by most due to my low sGPA.

I met with my university med school advisor whom told me that I needed another year of science courses to get my GPA to at least 3.0. which I will be planning on doin this upcoming year.

My EC's were enough (I think), 3000+ hours of paid scribing, 1000+ of paid clinical research coordinator, 100s of hours of volunteering with underserved communities, some tutoring, and a couple others.

I was wondering if there was anything else I could do? I was told not to re-take the MCAT but I'm conflicted on that and was hoping to get some advise on re-applying.
Thank you very much

I'd definitely aim on getting at least a 3.0 for you sGPA, which would also help raise the 3.1 higher as well. I would suggest applying to the same schools that gave you interviews and DO schools, maybe even expand on the number of schools you applied to for your next go. For DO schools, retaking the MCAT with your score isn't necessarily necessary, but it could help balance out your lower GPA. How do you feel about retaking the MCAT? Retaking it and not having a great improvement may be looked at negatively, so unless you'd end up with at least a 510+ (at minimum) coming from a 506, It may be better to just focus on the GPA. Both the MCAT and GPA are low for MD, and you mentioned that the two MD invites were you state schools which may be a factor (hence with an increased GPA would be worth re-application at least at those places in my opinion).

TLDR: focus on GPA getting cGPA higher and over 3.0 for sGPA. If you can do that AND think you can get a 510+ on MCAT, then consider retaking the MCAT, otherwise focus on GPA.

There is information in here that may also prove beneficial:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Members don't see this ad.

I had one more question.
The advisor I saw recommended I take any BCMP class, regardless of level (100 through 400) of course, 100 level being easier to ace. Is this sound advice? or do you recommend upper division only?

I've taken my fair share of upper division courses at the university I am planning on returning to so it might not be easy to form a good schedule.

The general consensus is to take upper level courses and ace them. How did you fair in the pre-reqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.