What should I do at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okay, this is my first post. I have just begun my third year of college and this is the year to start preparing for my up and coming application process/MCAT/everything for medical school. Times have been rather tough for me as of late. My freshman year, I came into college not knowing how to study; I received a mediocre GPA. Ever since, I've been getting scores between a 3.7 and 3.8 and my GPA rises every time.
As of recently, I met with the pre-health advisor who took one look at my GPA (without asking about my experience or anything else!) and said I could never make it. I was very (VERY) hurt upon hearing this and demanded an advisor change.
My experiences? I'm published. I've been a scientific research assistant for two years now and have just gone through with my first publication. I was able to go to several large conferences around the states and give a poster presentation over my data. I am currently working on two more (hopefully) publications! I also have had the opportunity to shadow/intern with a couple of doctors for a semester's length each.
Since the occurrence I have had with my old advisor, I have met with the school's medical school advisor as well as the admissions. They seem to think that I am going in the right direction with everything and that I have a fair chance of getting in.
I plan to take my MCAT in the spring, I am planning to apply to a few medial schools in state, I am arranging some volunteer opportunities at one of the local hospitals, etc.
My question is, what should I do at this point? What should I improve on? And if you have any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Work hard to improve your GPA over the next couple semesters, study hard for the MCAT and do well and get some clinical experience at a local hospital. Some volunteering if you have time wouldn't hurt either. It would be beneficial for us to know your cumulative GPA right now though

My cumulative GPA is currently at 3.3 but I am looking at it being around 3.4-3.5 by the time of application.
I do nothing outside of my work and studies currently because I want to bring up my GPA as well as do well on the MCAT. I have a few practice exams scheduled as well as the ones online and a few books to look over. What sort of clinical experience may I get at a hospital as an undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's advised not to use an actual picture of yourself, for anonymity's sake.

My cumulative GPA is currently at 3.3 but I am looking at it being around 3.4-3.5 by the time of application.

Ideally to a 3.5 at least. If you can't get much above your current GPA, you may have to delay your application for a year if you're set on allopathic. However, OH schools like NEOMED can be rather forgiving. Also, if you're willing to do grade replacement, OU is a great DO school.

I do nothing outside of my work and studies currently because I want to bring up my GPA as well as do well on the MCAT. I have a few practice exams scheduled as well as the ones online and a few books to look over. What sort of clinical experience may I get at a hospital as an undergrad?

Volunteering and shadowing are basics. If you want clinical work experience, you can look into patient transport (note that this job can sometimes be somewhat gender-discriminating), a scribe job (often competitive vs. other premeds) or train and work as a CNA (if you're willing to get your hands dirty - figuratively and literally - you can get a ton of direct patient care).

Finally, don't sweat the discouragement. During the second semester of my freshman year the premed advisor told me the only way I'd ever enter a hospital was as a patient.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured that if I did not get into allopathic, I would get my master's and then try again. I am also hoping that I do well enough on my MCAT that it would help me. I am currently being tutored for the MCAT by a few individuals as well as receiving hints and tips from other medical students. One in particular had a GPA lower than mine and did amazing on the MCAT that he was able to get accepted and is doing very well. I have also heard OU is a great DO school and I may consider it as well as NEOMED.

The lab that I work in is located next to a hospital (due to the fact that it's funded by the school of medicine and I do medical research) and I was figuring on going to the hospital and seeing what kind of volunteer and clinical work they have to offer (probably tomorrow or friday).

And the discouragement really hit me hard but I've bounced back since (although my old advisor never said anything as harsh as yours!). I have received plenty of encouragement from my boss as well as people from the medical school itself.

And the discouragement really hit me hard but I've bounced back since (although my old advisor never said anything as harsh as yours!). I have received plenty of encouragement from my boss as well as people from the medical school itself.

I'll post my whole story sometime, as well as the story of a friend, but trust me, people have recovered from worse starts. If this is what you truly want to do, don't give up.

It really is truly what I want to do; there is no way I will give up. I've made it to this point and I do not feel like turning back whatsoever. It's reassuring to know that people recover from worse starts and make it.