What should I do (Canadian-Quebec)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pulling17

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, thank you in advance to whoever responds. Im basically thinking about this everyday and I have no idea who to ask for guidance in this situation.
Im taking my MCAT this upcoming summer, and preparing relentlessly to get the best possible score. My current GPA is 3.50/4.3 (So around 3.45/4.0). I started off horribly in my BSc major in Biology, with first 3 semesters having around a 3.0 GPA. Then I picked it up to the point where I have a cGPA of 4.2 during the last year and half. I have learned to study efficiently and am a completely new person when it comes to my education. Medicine was always a passion, but only two years ago did I fully put myself into the pursuit. Im graduating by the end of this semester, and am not sure whether I should do another year of bachelors in Psychology or to just boost my EC's (which have been great by the way). I know Canadian schools are out of the option due to my poor scores so how do I stand for US D.O schools and in what direction should I proceed? Money isn't an issue, so my decisions aren't based on it. Im currently doing 7 classes, just in order to prove to myself that I'm ready for this challenge, and so far it seems like I am since my recent success isn't a matter of luck but rather just hard work.

UPDATE ON MCAT: 510

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Pulling,

I am a fellow Canadian who just went through the app cycle. My GPA was similar to yours, so I suggest scoring at least 508+ (preferably 510) though to get IIs from Canadian Friendly DO schools. To stand out, find time to shadow practicing D.O. Physicians (if your province has any, or go down the border to pursue shadowing opportunities). PM me if you have any questions

I'm not well-versed in international applications, but just in general:

1. it would depend on how much you improve in subsequent attempts. rule of thumb is not to go over 3 attempts, and achieving a similar/lower score in retake(s) is detrimental. one retake with significant improvement will generally not hurt your application and could be seen as a pro in resilience and adaptive learning.

2. no, 4 classes is more than a full courseload and this would not disqualify you anywhere.

3. I'm not sure what you're asking here, but I would caution you against caribbean schools. for the purposes of application though, I'm sure a substantial letter of recommendation from an allopathic program director would not hurt you anywhere (including at osteopathic schools).

I noticed you said that you'd be taking your MCAT this upcoming summer, and I'd recommend taking it in april if at all possible. AACOMAS opens in may, and since the MCAT scores take a month to come back, april would be the last test date if you wanted to be in the first batch of applications sent to schools. I strongly recommend this, as earlier is always better for rolling applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Updating my profile, my mcat came out to be 510. Does this change anything or should I stick to D.O?

Thank you!

Updating my profile, my mcat came out to be 510. Does this change anything or should I stick to D.O?

Thank you!

Definitely apply DO. You could try US MD as well but I think they are getting tougher on Canadian applicants. I know people with MCAT scores higher than 510 who did not get interviews last cycle.