What should I do? (low GPA, average DAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just took my DAT today and my scores are disappointing as I was hoping to do better. (AA: 20, TS:19 RC: 18, PAT:19, QR:22)

Now I am not sure if I have a shot of getting into dental school. The reason is because my undergraduate grades are very poor less then 2.5 (graduated in 2000). But the past 2 years I have completed the pre-req science classes with a 3.5 GPA which brings my average AADSAS GPA to around 2.5~2.6.

I have good dental experience and recommendation letters. My AADSAS application has already been sent out to the following dental schools(NYU,BU,NJDMJ,Stony Brook etc) this week.

What do you guys think of my chances of getting into dental school?
Should I re-take the DAT in November (I think I can improve my TS score to around a 21)? I will also be taking more science classes this Fall such as Biochemistry. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what you're talking about with your DAT scores. Those are strong scores. With regard to your GPA, you graduated in 2000, and you can't do anything about that. The fact that you achieved a 3.5 GPA on you most recent requirement courses shows you have potential to succeed in a dental environ.

Give us some background regarding your past 6 years of work (I'm assuming). Why Dentistry? What pre-req courses did you take? Did you go beyond pre-reqs and try to advance your GPA or show your worth with advanced science courses? What was your UG major?

Since your application has been submitted, you can't do anything to make yourself look better to adcoms before your interview(s) (assuming you get them). If you don't get in this year, take some more courses that you'd be taking in dental school anyway (Biochem, Physiology, Anatomy, Histology, Cell/Microbio, Pathology etc.) That way you 1. prepare yourself for dental school, 2. bring your GPA up, and 3. make yourself that much better than normal students applying. Most have never taken path, histo, or anatomy before dental school.

Your DAT scores (note mine are similar) are average for SDN but NOT for the whole applicant pool....yes scores are going up but a 20AA is still what most of the applicant pool would love to have....trust me on this one, I have taught well over 80-90 DAT students who have represented a good spread of the applicant pool.........

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Thank you for the advice. It really helped put things in perspective for me.

My undergraduate major was business (state school) but I took many science classes back then since I was interested in pursing a career in a health related profession. Unfortunately I did horribly in my science classes. I worked in the retail industry for 4 years before becoming a full-time student 2 years ago.

I have taken microbiology and cell biology last year on top of the pre-requisite classes. I am actually pursuing a second bachelor degree in Biology which I hope to finish next year (not sure how the ad coms will look at this). So I will be taking at least 4-5 more upper level Bio classes this year. I would be happy with a single interview. I guess all I can do now is to hope and pray.

Hi everyone, I just took my DAT today and my scores are disappointing as I was hoping to do better. (AA: 20, TS:19 RC: 18, PAT:19, QR:22)

Now I am not sure if I have a shot of getting into dental school. The reason is because my undergraduate grades are very poor less then 2.5 (graduated in 2000). But the past 2 years I have completed the pre-req science classes with a 3.5 GPA which brings my average AADSAS GPA to around 2.5~2.6.

I have good dental experience and recommendation letters. My AADSAS application has already been sent out to the following dental schools(NYU,BU,NJDMJ,Stony Brook etc) this week.

What do you guys think of my chances of getting into dental school?
Should I re-take the DAT in November (I think I can improve my TS score to around a 21)? I will also be taking more science classes this Fall such as Biochemistry. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First off let me say those are solid DAT scores and congrats on doing well in your science courses the last couple of years. However, with your really low undergrad gpa your chances aren't great. You do have a chance though as the adcoms really do look positively on significant recent improvement and with good LORs and good experience you may get in. I suggest you see if you can talk to someone at those schools directly. Pick the school nearest you and see if you can get an appointment to talk to one of their admissions staff. Just go through with them what your situation is and have them assess your chances and what you need to do to improve your chances if you happen to need to apply again for the next cycle. That way you can start now on anything that might help your application for next cycle. If they tell you you need to take certain classes and get A's or work in a lab for the next year, then you can start that process now so it is on your application for next cycle. Also, assuming you do get interviews this cycle, you can talk about these additional steps you have taken since applying that will help prepare you for dental school.

Your DAT is by no means average - those are great numbers - but you may want to consider retaking to push for even higher to help counter your past GPA. In your situation, I would say anything you can do to improve your application, you should do. Best of luck!

ruth11, thank you for the encouragement. Since I have very poor GPA, I was hoping to get at least 21 across all sections.

dentaldentist, I think contacting dental school adcom regarding my status is
great idea. thank you.

Good DAT scores. yOu should be okay. Just make sure other areas of your application are good.